Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by frankthetank »

chimbonda wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 am KK v Birr
KK to win by 6 points - 1-19 to 0-16

Shinrone v Kinnity
Shinrone to win by 3 points - 0-17 to 0-14

Belmont v Coolderry
Belmont to win by 5 points - 3-17 to 2-15

St Rynaghs v Ballinamere
St Rynaghs to win by 12 points - 3-19 to 1-13
I agree with all of Chimbonda's game winners. However I think Ballinamere will keep it to less than 8 against Birr and I think Shinrone will beat Kinnitty by more than 8 and it might break the 10 point mark. They will have way too much firepower for Kinnitty who are putting up fairly meagre returns so far in games.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I attended both games last night in SBP.

The first game Shinrone were on top of Kinnity until an horrific leg injury just after half time happened to one of the Kinnity players(the match was delayed till an ambulance came about 20+ minutes)
When the game resumed Kinnity got into it but couldnt get close enough to Shinrone to make a proper match of it.
Shinrone looked good in patches but I still think are a bit off winning a county title.
Kinnity on the other hand were awful and couldnt get scores freely....Conor Doughan was the best hurler on the field and got a super goal!
Shinrone won by about 8pts in the end.

The second game was a great game of hurling for most of it and you would really have to be impressed with Belmont and the way they won the game.
Coolderry were up for this one and started well but Belmont grew into the game and some of there forwards had pace who Coolderry struggled to cope with.
Unfortunately for Coolderry you can really see his year some of there key players are another year older and cant control a game like they once did...we feared last year they might be in relegation because of the age of the team but this year it really stands out that the legs are going.
Belmont were missing a few players and Oisin Kelly only came on..Nally was superb and Mark Egan the same I really think they are serious contenders for a county championship this year.
Belmont won by 2 pts.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It would be great if Belmont would make the breakthrough and win a senior title this year. Maybe Shinrone will come good in 2019.
I suppose you will be at tonight's game Birr v KK, in Kinnitty?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Birr 1-18
K/K 2- 15

Draw match probably a fair result considering both teams could of easily lost it. The championship is so open this year hard to know who will win it.

Birr were down Craig Taylor, Barry Harding and Michael Verney while K/K were down Quinn and Murray.

When both teams get eveyone back they will have a say in the championship.

Best on the field for Birr were Eoin Cahill, Dylan Hayden, Sean Ryan and Morgan Watkins...while for K/K Conor Mahon, Stephen Leonard showed up best.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

havent been on in a while with one thing and another...strange to say Birr drawing with KK seen in some quarters as a shock given their history, but it does open up the pot again somehwhat...a bit of a bore with most teams now more or less guaranteed at least quarter final spots, with the only interest as such is can Coolderry make the knockouts despite a number of losses now at this stage, its says alot when you can loose all those games an still end up in QF's...They will probably have enough to get over Kinnitty in a relegation play off..not sure where Ballinamre are but sure they must be down there in relegation too, so it will probably be them or Kinnitty to go down..one more set of games to go..interesting to see can Birr stall Belmonts steady progress...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Birr had a few changes last night from the listed team. They had the best of the first half, led by 4 points at the break. KK better team in 3rd quarter, but Birr recovered in the latter stages, drawing the game. Birr had a lot of very young players in the subs, they got their chance last night.
It is a bit odd that a team with no points might reach the knock out stages. Coolderry are having a bad season compared to last year. Ballinamere and Kinnitty are in the relegation mix, Ballinamere could avoid the drop.
One solution to avoid the situation outlined by FairPlay, would be to just have semi finals, comprised of the top four teams. The same could apply in football.

I would suggest that next year's hurling championship could be run like football, two groups of four teams. Each team play one game at home, one at their opponent's ground, one in Birr, and one at a neutral venue. It might be worth a try to increase attendances.
I know there are anamolies with the football grouping, at present, but they could be tweaked after this year's championship final.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm Birr had a few changes last night from the listed team. They had the best of the first half, led by 4 points at the break. KK better team in 3rd quarter, but Birr recovered in the latter stages, drawing the game. Birr had a lot of very young players in the subs, they got their chance last night.
It is a bit odd that a team with no points might reach the knock out stages. Coolderry are having a bad season compared to last year. Ballinamere and Kinnitty are in the relegation mix, Ballinamere could avoid the drop.
One solution to avoid the situation outlined by FairPlay, would be to just have semi finals, comprised of the top four teams. The same could apply in football.

I would suggest that next year's hurling championship could be run like football, two groups of four teams. Each team play one game at home, one at their opponent's ground, one in Birr, and one at a neutral venue. It might be worth a try to increase attendances.
I know there are anamolies with the football grouping, at present, but they could be tweaked after this year's championship final.
What team has no points?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Two very instructive, and interesting, matches in Birr last Saturday.

Shinrone have very definitely carried on the form they showed when beating Coolderry. Really hurling to a plan which suits them. Injury free, Conor Doughan is a revelation at centre half-forward. Seán Cleary enjoying his hurling on the right wing. Decisive when going for early goals, played some fantastic diagonal ball to their inside forwards. Adrian Cleary has improved considerably.

The half-backs dominant under the dropping ball, Dan Doughan, Michael Cleary and Mark Morkan sending the ball back from where it came. And when the opposition attack is slowed down, the middle eight drop back (at one stage all six backs were inside their own 21), creating room for the front three.

Arien Delaney has really found what makes them tick and at the moment it seems to be a perfect blend. Of course, the time to prove themselves will be on quarter-final day, but since the resumption they’ve scored 2-19, 2-16, 2-22 and 2-18, while conceding 0-17, 0-20, 0-18 and 0-16. Now there’s consistency.

Kinnitty tried fierce hard. That’s not to plámás them, their work rate was strong but Shinrone were on a different plane. Any pace was taken out of the second half with Tommy Rigney’s unfortunate injury, and it is a reminder to all of the risks these fellas take every day they go out there.

Belmont are another team in a hurry, and were deserving winners against Coolderry. They left a semi-final behind them last year against the same opposition, but sometimes that can motivate the opposition more than yourself. Belmont were a little slow to settle but Cathal Flynn is a real livewire and he confidently slalomed his way in to find the net for an important ‘settling’ score.

Hard to think of a more industrious midfield than David Nally and Alan Egan, the latter finding a new lease of hurling life. I thought Alan was harshly substituted against St Rynagh’s, and he was still flying in stoppgage time here. Mark Egan held the centre and read the game well from centre half-back. But the thing about Belmont is the overall package. They keep their width, and there is always a wing-forward available to take a pass. That’s a great outlet to have. Joe Maher and Colin Egan held the wings well in the second half, when another team might have lost shape.

I was surprised they didn’t start Oisín Kelly. But by holding him until half-time, they wlil have kept the team spirit intact, no whispering campaigns from disgruntled lads dropped to make way for the returned emigrant. He announced his return with a mighty point with his first touch, and I hope I remember his mighty leap and fetch in his own square late in the game.

A word too for Barry Egan, a fine goalkeeper for a decade who had a few wobbles last year. On Saturday he was his old self again – three or four fine saves, excellent handling under pressure and fine pucking out.

Coolderry are in trouble, trouble of their own making. Trevor Corcoran was omitted and David King was an unusual choice at full-back. Gearóid McCormack and Mark Bergin got through good work at midfield. But with five minutes of additional time announced, Coolderry had ample time to recover arrears of two points. The difference between the sides was laid bare in those added minutes, with Belmont’s stout defence holding firm while Coolderry crowded, lacking in spirit, lacking in hope, lacking leadership.

Coolderry v KInnitty will be next weekend’s tie of the round. Already, Brian Gavin had been appointed to arbitrate, the county’s most experienced referee. Anyone who remembers Kinnittyman posting here will be aware of what they think of Coolderry in Slieve Bloom’s foothills. Bí ann gan teip.

And is it too much to ask the hurling fairy for a Belmont v Shinrone final?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Thanks for that summary POTH. Shinrone v Belmont would be a dream final pairing if it came to pass. We live in hope.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the likely QF of Belmont V Coolderry will be a test of where Belmont are at "knockout wise"...IF they win that then they will be considered genuine contenders outside Kilcormac and Rynaghs. They are contenders of course at the moment, BUT(like Shinrone) they need to deliver at knockout stage and Q/F is the base entry so we will see where they are, they are good enough form wise at the moment, but looking at scoring stats while these teams are scoring very well, will tighter defences such as Kilcormac and Rynaghs give them that space, especially at knockout stage when the heat comes on, discipline comes into it then, and I will say no more on that issue.. Birr seem to have been impressive against Kilcormac and Belmont had better watch out in their last group game as Birr wont have any fear of them at all.....Shinrone going very well, very impressive half back line and Doughan excellent at CF...seen them twice this year, have the potential and discipline in fairness, wont fear QF (possibly against Birr)

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

just said Ide kick off here with what I think are the last round of group games this weekend..maybe Ime a week early, havent time to check:)
Coolderry V Kinnitty...Coolderry 2-15 Kinnitty 0-12
St. Rynanghs V Shinrone...St. Rynaghs 1-17 Shinrone 0-17 (this should be a close game)
Belmont V Birr...Belmont 0-20 Birr 2-16 (going for a "shock" here...I think Birr might sneak this, IF they carry the form from the Kilcormac game into this game)
Kilcormac V Ballinamere....Kilcormac 3-15 Ballinamere 2-12...I can see goals here some how..but KK to win..

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Since when is Birr beating Belmont a shock?
:shock:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

going on overall form this season, Belmont had a rocky patch admittedly but overall had some good wins and were hurling well..Birr were not going well in any of the games I seen them in, and drawing with Kilcormac last day was Birrs only good performance all year, can they back it up with a second win in a row...based on their form to date..it would be an upset/shock...granted it is only a group game..

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

They hurled with half a team for most of the year..there will be noting in it!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I agree..I actually think if Birr gather a bit of momentum/form they will make a semi final and its game on if they get there..