Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

oneshot
County player

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by oneshot »

think some are a bit hard on Rynaghs here on the leinster club run. lets not forget they were the first winners of it plus won 3 more after the last in 1993 and were unlucky in the semil that year to lose to galways sarsfields who won two club titles in a row back then. as for 2019 team i think if they get over R/E i think they will give the dubs all they want of it in the semil. cuala haven’t beaten st mullins of carlow yet.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm As defeats go thats the sickest I have ever suffered as Birr supporter.
I am not sure what to say ...I dont agree LS that they sat back I think think Banagher went up another level for the last 15 and Birr didnt have enough in reserve to match them, we couldnt win ball around the middle third.

Talk around Birr the last few days are the ref was poor and gave Birr noting.....now I dont want to go down the root of the the blame game but just wondering what your thoughts are on it?

Did Connelley pick the ball off the ground ?
Did Morgan Watkins get pulled back by the helmet in the last few seconds.?
It's a senior club hurling final not u10 go games.
Stop blaming the ref and focus how and why birr lost an six point lead. It's a cop out. There were about eight or nine frees blown in the whole match. It made for a right good hurling game particularly in the first half. There was one or two frees in the secondd half that could have been blown and maybe Morgan Watkins was due one for a free at the end. That's all birr could have a complaint on. One bloody or two bloody frees over the 64 minutes. But on balance it was refeereed in a fair manner to both sides I thought.
OK one or two decisions could have went birrs way but if Rynaghs lost they could say the same . It made for a fantastic county final.

I would have loved if it had been a draw to be honest and it was a great advertisement for hurling.

I don't think connelly picked the ball off the ground but I'll have to watch the game back on offaly gaa TV to see.

Also in the first half a Rynaghs shot came back off the cross bar and Sean dolan came caught 3 balls over Sean Ryan's head and scored two points. So the warning signs were there.

Birr faded in the second and had no subs.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm I dont agree LS that they sat back I think think Banagher went up another level for the last 15 and Birr didnt have enough in reserve to match them, we couldnt win ball around the middle third.
Ah there were definitely lots of times in the last quarter when birr had just two or three players inside the Rynagh's 65m line. There is an issue there in that ye're not a club that's heavy on ball-winning forwards, but ye made life too easy on Rynaghs by hitting long ball into one attacker vs three defenders (or similar ratios) time and again. That in turn meant that Rynaghs could push up as well. Moloney and Paul Quirke got on a lot of attacking ball late on, having been far busier defensively for most of the game.
greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm Talk around Birr the last few days are the ref was poor and gave Birr noting.....now I dont want to go down the root of the the blame game but just wondering what your thoughts are on it?

Did Connelley pick the ball off the ground ?
Did Morgan Watkins get pulled back by the helmet in the last few seconds.?
Probably fair to say Kieran Dooley gave nobody anything - he took a very relaxed approach to using the whistle, if he gave ten frees to each team I'd say that was the height of it. Were there times ye could/should have had frees late on? Probably, but there were times Rynaghs could have had them too I'd say. If I'm to be truthful, I don't remember particular incidents, but it's easy be like that when you're neutral at a game.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Hasselhoff the one thing I said in my post was I wasnt blaming anyone.. sean Dolan had a goal chance fair enough but so did Paddy Mullins and Eoin Cahill.

Hard defeat to take but alot of positives to take from the game and year with a couple of new faces to come in next year I think we will be a team to be feared.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

What would be the senior a club team of the year for 2019,?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

did I hear there was a bit of lets say difference of oppinion in the Rynaghs camp after the county final win over Birr, an extremely reliabe source with connections was asking if I heard anything, I heard rumours but he had alot more info which I wont go into here as technically its heresay...pity if so as other clubs will testify its no mean achievement to win a county final and nice to win one and have harmony in the camp as well...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What are you in about?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

as I say I am not going into detail as it could be hearsay..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fair enough, but be a bit more clear in your posts. So there is disharmony within the rynaghs club with player and/or mgt.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:40 am Hasselhoff the one thing I said in my post was I wasnt blaming anyone.. sean Dolan had a goal chance fair enough but so did Paddy Mullins and Eoin Cahill.

Hard defeat to take but alot of positives to take from the game and year with a couple of new faces to come in next year I think we will be a team to be feared.
barry whelehan and co should take some blame in this defeat. they had Dylan hayden on Ben conneely for way to long second half Conneely was running the show and Hayden hadn’t the legs for him. also they should have got morgan watkins into the game someway in the second half the just left him in the fulforward line with no ball coming in. plus Brian watkins going off near the end didn’t help matters . but have to hand it to Rynaghs a game is won over 70 minutes plus .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:18 pm Fair enough, but be a bit more clear in your posts. So there is disharmony within the rynaghs club with player and/or mgt./quote]

Very hard to be a bit more clear in my posts if I state at the start that I don't want to be naming names or divulging any great details suffice to say ide guess it's a bit of a rift between players and/or management with team selection and subs etc..other than that I won't say on any media for obvious reasons..ime sure it was probably exaggerated as well by my sources whom wouldn't be a lover of Rynaghs..if it's true ime sure it will be sorted and kept in house..

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

:lol:

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Rynaghs out sunday again Rathdowney/Erill bookies have R/E at 2/1 . be a hard game it been in portlaoise to .think Rynaghs might nick this by a point or two .R/E fancy their chances again Rynaghs but sure why wouldn’t they we are a christy ring cup county again a leinster championship county now :wink:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Townman's back! I'd recognise the smell anywhere.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

What gave it away? Again! :D