Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by Lone Shark »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:28 pm just thinking of stats and without checking but I think Rynaghs and Belmont returned their lowest scores of the campaign yesterday...goes to show what can happen on any given day..
To be fair, that low scoring was entirely about weather. It was the same for both teams and all that, but the fact that the intermediate game which preceded it finished 1-7 to 0-6, and obviously the pitch would have cut up a bit during that, will tell you all you need to know about the conditions that this game was played in.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I am well away from the Offaly GAA scene now unfortunately but keep up to date on the results. Was hoping Belmont would make the final. Dont know many of the current squad but would of played against some of their veterans. Would know more of the former footballers better and always got on really well with the Ferbane Belmont lads off the battle field so was hoping the club might get over the line. by all accounts it came down to very small margins.

Hard defeat for them to take but hopefully they can keep the heads up and keep progressing like they have.

They have to move on quickly now and really focus on winning the football. Good luck to them.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Jayz , I'm torn on this one, I don't want to get caught up the SBP v OCP stuff now, as is irrelevant at this point with the match going ahead in OCP.
But there were some epic battles in Birr with these 2!

Hopefully there is a big crowd for the final in Tullamore, Birr wouldn't have a big following, Rynaghs would.
The neutral interest in this should be really big and there should be a good atmosphere, especially with Birr really having come in under the radar. Both teams will really fancy their chances.

Again its been a really competitive championship, similar to last year. Has the makings of a very competitive final.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Lone Shark wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 pm Bitterly disappointed to see Belmont lose out yesterday, I really thought they'd win it coming into the game but in the end, some incredible saves from Conor Clancy made the difference. His penalty save in particular was truly incredible, and it would have been hard to see Rynagh's coming back to win if they had conceded a goal at that stage. As was pointed out above, Ben Conneely getting the better of Oisín Kelly in that personal battle was another key factor.

Hats off to the two teams for the standard of hurling that was produced in incredibly difficult conditions as well. Some of the stickwork and fielding was excellent, given the weather. I was working elsewhere today so couldn't be in OCP for the Birr vs KK game, but my gut feeling is that this St. Rynagh's performance was a lot better than it might look at first glance and that they'll be in good shape for the final. Every chance that for the third year in a row, Belmont will be one or two points worse than the county champions, but they won't even have got a county final appearance to show for their efforts.

And on the point of the possible red card for Gary Conneely, I thought it was a wild and careless pull and I've seen reds given for them, but when I park my natural bias towards my own parish, I'd say a yellow was probably fair enough. It didn't look at all malicious, it was the hurling equivalent of not driving with due care and attention. If there was one call I'd have an issue with, it was the random decision to whistle Damien Egan for a throw ball that allowed Aidan Treacy to score a free in the first half, a pass that was no more illegal than around 50 other handpasses that were let go. Every point mattered yesterday, so that was significant - but when you're reviewing a game like that, in weather like that, and that's the only criticism of the referee, then that's pretty impressive. I've always thought a lot of Shane Guinan as a ref and he was very impressive again in my opinion.

Likewise, Leon Fox and Ciarán Flannery probably both did enough to get red cards by the rulebook, but they too got away with yellows. From a Belmont perspective, that was one disappointing aspect - for Flannery to cancel out Fox was probably a win from a Rynagh's point of view, and I was surprised that Belmont didn't switch Leon somewhere else to let him try and get into the game a bit more, particularly once Aaron Kenny started to get a bit of traction against Liam Browne. Browne was in control of that duel in the first half, and at that stage you'd have said to leave things be, but once Kenny started to get on some ball, a switch would have been no harm.

Overall an enjoyable game though, if not the result. Well done to Rynagh's and hopefully we'll get another fascinating battle in the final between themselves and Birr.
regarding the Damien Egan throw ball issue, I was in line with him with my positioning in the crowd, and noted the minute he made that pass that it didnt look right,as in his hand motion wasnt a normal handpass motion, obviously the ref seen the same as I did, only he was the referee and got to call it but from where I was, yeah it might have been harsh in the conditions etc. but he did call it and I have to think he got that correct. If Ciaran Flannery just hurled he is so capable, down the years he appears to be always first to start mouthing off etc, and it doesnt look well at all and infact can be a distraction for others around him as they are wondering what hes at...it should be a good final please God...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

GAHMAD wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm Jayz , I'm torn on this one, I don't want to get caught up the SBP v OCP stuff now, as is irrelevant at this point with the match going ahead in OCP.

Hopefully there is a big crowd for the final in Tullamore, Birr wouldn't have a big following, Rynaghs would.
The neutral interest in this should be really big and there should be a good atmosphere, especially with Birr really having come in under the radar. Both teams will really fancy their chances.

Again its been a really competitive championship, similar to last year. Has the makings of a very competitive final.
1. There won't be a good atmosphere in Tullamore. There never is.

2. How do you know it is definitely going ahead in BNMOCP? Have you seen the official fixture yet? I haven't.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:25 pm
GAHMAD wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm Jayz , I'm torn on this one, I don't want to get caught up the SBP v OCP stuff now, as is irrelevant at this point with the match going ahead in OCP.

1. There won't be a good atmosphere in Tullamore. There never is.

2. How do you know it is definitely going ahead in BNMOCP? Have you seen the official fixture yet? I haven't.
2. JT said it during the aftermath of the game yesterday on radio 3.

1. Exactly...
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Senior Hurling Finals have been held in Tullamore since at least 2009. Next Sunday's game will be there also.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Since St Rynaghs made their first final in 1964 they have competed in 36 county final matches with a record of:

P36 W17 D3 L16

In the same time period Birr have played in 22 county final matches with a record of:

P22 W13 D1 L8

A really interesting statistic is that in the 55 championships since 1963 Birr or St Rynaghs (or both) have been in the final for 43 of them. That means that out of the last 55 championships Birr or Sr Rynaghs have made the final a whopping 78% of the time!!

As an aside from 1967 to 1994 either St Rynaghs or Kinnitty made every single final.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:29 pm Senior Hurling Finals have been held in Tullamore since at least 2009. Next Sunday's game will be there also.

last county final in birr was 2006 replay between birr and coolderry. since 07 they have been in tullamore.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

oneshot wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:29 pm Senior Hurling Finals have been held in Tullamore since at least 2009. Next Sunday's game will be there also.

last county final in birr was 2006 replay between birr and coolderry. since 07 they have been in tullamore.
Thanks for that one shot. Never assume things!!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Right,lets call the county Final, Ime going to go with Rynaghs backs holding Birr forwards, getting scores will be thing for Rynaghs against whats a excellent Birr half back line and a handy full backline too...but I think they may get enough to win this, Ime going for St. Rynaghs 0-17 Birr 0-14...

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Il go for Birr to sneak this one and feast at the top table once more, Birr 2-13 Rynaghs 1-14

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Rynaghs 1-16
Birr 0-16

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Rynaghs to win. 3 or 4.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think Birr have this one we have put two huge performances back to back.

It will be a battle of the backs and I can see Birr winning as there back 6 has been superb.