Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:23 pm Birr 0-18
Shinrone 0-15

I would have to say I am quiet happy with that for a few reasons.

Not much people gave Birr a chance, but unfortunately for Shinrone that suited Birr. Shinrone made some awful decisions in the first half and hurling with that wind they needed to start well they done anything but that.

Conor Doughan was pretty much non existent which was key to Birrs win, the clever 3 on the half back line along with the 3 young chaps in behind them managed the Shinrone forward line with relative ease.

I presumed Birr would push on after halt time but they took there time to get on top. The management will have to note that and wonder why they didn't.

When the last 15 mins came Birr got on top and got some super scores.

It was not the best game ever but it was a game Birr needed to win and that's what they done they grinded it out and some or there senior players stood out, Sean Ryan And Paul Cleary to name but a few.

They will be underdogs in the semi final but I wouldnt write them off just yet.

On a side note the atmosphere was awful was it really necessary to bring that game to OCP( I am not trying to start a debate but it was just so empty over there)
Obviously if a team wants to win a competition, they should beat everyone, and Birr will be the underdogs.

As a matter of interest, and irrespective of this year’s results v yer respective potential opponents, who would you personally rather get in the semi.
I fancied Birr at the start of the year as the dark horse.

On Shinrone, I see that they hit 17 wides, which is obviously not going to help win games. They’ll be around for a few years yet and are bound to reach the semi final as well as final stage in the coming years. It’ll be interesting to see if they keep Delaney on or not. A two year deal was said on here last year.

The Belmont-Coolderry clash could go any way. The form would suggest the Brosnasiders, who had a nice win in the junior today. But they’re facing Coolderry...who are top of the roll of honour for a reason.

Kinnitty are favourites for the relegation tie versus Ballinamere, despite being beaten by them earlier on in the championship. That being said, Kinnitty dug themselves out last year minus Kinsella, and I’d give them the nod. What are people’s thoughts on the this game?
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

First and foremost, well done to Birr. They had a job to do and they done it very well. No messing, no fooling, no frills, just down to earth hurling.

I am never again falling for Shinrone’s encouraging form in the group stages. (I know I’ve said that more than once, but this time it’s for real.)

When you see a team at that eejitry of lining the six forwards up along the ‘65m line for the throw-in, you can look out. Shinrone did that, and it was evident after about three minutes their heads weren’t right. More: with the stiff wind behind them, played with an absentee centre half-forward in that first half. And then proceeded to feed Paul Cleary with poorly directed clearances. On top of that, they hit copious amounts of 50:50 ball into their full-forward line, without giving that line a chance. All of which I didn’t expect from them, but I’m not surprised it happened either.

On top of that again, they conceded the puckout to Birr. Why, oh why, do teams withdraw full-forward lines out 10 yards from opposition’s full-back lines for puckouts, when at the same time the opposition’s half-back lines are covered by the half-forward line? It makes no sense.

And so on Birr went. Oisín Murphy stood out for me in defence, Jimmy Irwin is a good ball player, so Shinrone allowed him to play ball. Brian Watkins was powerful, and Paul Cleary read everything unopposed. Brian Mullins twice saved smartly, and pucked out even smarter.

In fairness, Shinrone did well in the third quarter. It suited them to hurl the ball through the lines. The Doughans and the two Sampsons prospered, and Adrian Cleary swept well. They got level, but stopped hurling then and Seán Ryan’s pair of monster points from his own half were inspirational to Birr and came as a blow from which Shinrone never recovered. Craig Taylor’s introduction was significant too – Shinrone had no answer to him.

It will take Shinrone some time to recover from this. Lazy media analysis will cite x number of wides. The reality is there was a gulf between the psychological makeups of the respective teams. Shinrone came to fulfil a fixture, Birr came to fight a war. There was only going to be one winner. Birr live to fight another day.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Great win for ye, Green. Fair comment on all your points below. And I'm pleased for Breeder.
greenairfield wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:23 pm Birr 0-18
Shinrone 0-15

I would have to say I am quiet happy with that for a few reasons.

Not much people gave Birr a chance, but unfortunately for Shinrone that suited Birr. Shinrone made some awful decisions in the first half and hurling with that wind they needed to start well they done anything but that.

Conor Doughan was pretty much non existent which was key to Birrs win, the clever 3 on the half back line along with the 3 young chaps in behind them managed the Shinrone forward line with relative ease.

I presumed Birr would push on after halt time but they took there time to get on top. The management will have to note that and wonder why they didn't.

When the last 15 mins came Birr got on top and got some super scores.

It was not the best game ever but it was a game Birr needed to win and that's what they done they grinded it out and some or there senior players stood out, Sean Ryan And Paul Cleary to name but a few.

They will be underdogs in the semi final but I wouldnt write them off just yet.

On a side note the atmosphere was awful was it really necessary to bring that game to OCP( I am not trying to start a debate but it was just so empty over there)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Despite Shane Kinsella putting on a performance it wasn’t enough to stop kinnity going to senior B and Ballinamere maintaining senior status.

From an entertainment point of view when Kinnity scored the goal to go a point up and follow up with a point straight away they looked the likely winner. Ballinamere dug deep and the game could have been won by both teams in injury time.

Ballinameres younger team shone through in extra time and won out by 5 points. What was weird was I think they only played 16 players for the game plus the extra time.

For Ballinamere they have a young team so could improve if they maintain senior for a few years but are short the 3-4 players that are needed if they are to be a force.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The Grand Canal derby in a county semi final. I’ve a sneaky feeling about Belmont. It would be their first time to beat Rynagh’s in knockout championship hurling I’m sure. Only for their own indiscipline, they’d have pipped their neighbours in the round robin. Then again, that bit of history is there. But feck it, history is there to be rewritten. It’ll be interesting to see if they can write their own bit and reach the promised land of their maiden final.

Birr v KK should be another great game. Is Verney out?
I really hope that both sides change jerseys for the game. A pet hate of mine, the colour clashes. Hardly good for the eyes.

I’m sorry to see Kinnitty drop through the trapdoor. In fairness, Ballinamere beat them twice and survive on merit. Don’t have the table to hand, but had Kinnitty held out v Belmont at the end, would they have escaped the playoff?

On the semi finals, I think that one of the seeded teams will prevail, with one of the quarter final winners progressing in the other. Could I say who at this time? No, just a feeling. It would be great to see Belmont in the final, and/or perhaps (don’t tell greenairfield😉😜) Birr.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr v Belmont has a lovely ring too it alright.

I think its anyone's to win at this stage. Oisin Kelly will take some stopping in the semi final

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

What did Oisin Kelly score from play?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I am gonna guess about 1-3

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

he scored 1-03 I think...he is way more effective out the field. Rynaghs will probably put Ben Conneely on him which will be a different kettle of fish than he has encountered to date, Kevin Brady struggled big time with him and went off injured I think after..Belmont are the form team and on form should beat Rynaghs, I was watching them V Coolderry, Coolderry seemed to go for goals in first 10 minutes, I dont know why this was, 2/3 points on board was what they needed, they eventually then got going but half time seemed to arrive a wrongg time for them, were flat again for first 10 minutes of second half, then they got their goal which we all thougth might kick start them, but no, it was one way traffic from there on. Having said that, take Oisin Kellys 1-03 out of it (and if his replacement else failed to score which would be improbable) as poor as Coolderry were they would be only 4 points down, but look, Coolderry know they were never in any real contention in this game, especially after they got back within touching distance by half tiime and got their goal in second half...Belmont wont get the room they got here against Rynaghs, but I do think the Belmont forwards are working well, MF is pretty good too, as is their half back line, I would expect them to get over Rynaghs, but Rynaghs will have their own ideas and will have their homework done, so if Rynaghs scupper them, I wont be shocked...Birr V kilcormac is an interestesting one, KK have staggered along with some up and down performances but doing enough to win, Birr seem to have found a good rythym again, and while not brilliant are steady and solid, I just think KK might tip through in that one...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

wasnt at the Birr V Shinrone game last Sat in OCP, but reading report in MT last night and speaking to people who were at the game, 17 wides for Shinrone!!!..not rubbing salt in the wound but holy smoke they must be kicking themselves, give any team a bad day say with 11/12 wides, they (Shinrone) would have won that this game on Saturday, the result is what it is, and fair dues to Birr, and in ways nice to see them competitive again (only 4 points from paly from forwards is a worry)..can this relatively young Shinrone team come back next year and move on another stage, they certainly have the potential from what I seen of them this year. Belmont are now the first timers left in it, interesting how they go...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Right folks, lets have a stab at predicting the scores of next weekends SHC semi finals:
Belmont 2-16 St. Rynaghs 1-15 (on form Belmont should win, Ryanaghs backs will be tight on them and their non marquee players will find it tough to get scores they got in other games, Rynaghs surely got a wakeup call after their capitulation to Shinrone and will make a battle of this)

Kilcormac 0-18 Birr 0-14, a difficult one to call, but its hard to see Birr have improved that much to beat Kilcormac, who while they have not been on fire, are finding their way through games which is the sign of a seasoned team. hard to see where all the Birr scores will come from outside Eoghan Cahill primarily..

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Rynaghs down key men Niall Wynne and Pat Camon. With Danny Maloney and Simon Og Lyons gone it makes Camons loss even greater at the back, but sure what can they do only give it their all. Wet conditions forecast to, wont make for free flowin hurlin in either game at weekend.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I know its a semifinal, but it might be a chance for some of the younger lads to get a start from the off...Danny M and Simon Og werent really on the starting 15 from the bit I follow of it this year, but would be subs probably with Camon and Wynne out...who would you slot in to your back line now?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

shannonbanks14 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 pm Rynaghs down key men Niall Wynne and Pat Camon. With Danny Maloney and Simon Og Lyons gone it makes Camons loss even greater at the back, but sure what can they do only give it their all. Wet conditions forecast to, wont make for free flowin hurlin in either game at weekend.
According to the grapevine, they’re missing another player who played in defence this year. Not looking good for them. Could young O’Connor come into the fray now?
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I would have had Rynaghs the slightest of slight favourites before the I read about the issues they are going to have in their defence. Resultantly I would give Ferbane/Belmont the nod while from watching Birr in the quarter finals I just can't see enough firepower in their full forward line to beat Kilcormac/Killoughey.