Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by greenairfield »

Predictions for the weekend.
Birr v Shinrone

I will go with a Birr win obviously :lol:

I honestly think if Birr approach the game in the way they should they will win, for me they are the better team and they have stronger hurlers in most positions.

Shinrone will have Conor Doughan and Sean Cleary who will take monitoring but if Birr close them down and hurl to there ability they will win.

Shinrone will be hoping to get a run on Birr and it could well happen but I just think they will struggle to get on top in key areas.

Birr by 3 for me.

Belmont v Coolderry

I cannot see Coolderry winning this game due to the face they will struggle with the pace of Belmont in the forward line.

I know the general feeling last year was Coolderry are gone but this year it's more miles on the legs it's hard to see where they will win the game.

Belmont seem to have a fine squad this year and they will use there bench.

Coolderry need to find someone to mark Kelly and I am not sure if they have that player.

Belmont by 6

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Birr V Shinrone - I ll go for Shinrone and only just...Shinrone 0-20 Birr 2-12
I think Shinrone forwards IF they can make the space can get enough scores, their lack of goals in some games is a worry..they wont get many if any here against a very inform Brian Mullins, neutral to both, I wouldnt mind if Birr did sneak through, but given Shinrone are now firing well this year since the championship returned, Ime giving them the nod on a scoreline with no goal for Shinrone...Shinrone I think.

Coolderry V Belmont...Ime going with Belmont 2-15 Coolderry 1-14...unlike above where both teams have good recent form,its hard look beyond Bemont here, thats not to say Coolderry have the relegation matter dealt with and with some poor results in group games are still in QF and in a position to defend their title..on form their should only be one winner, but I suspect Coolderry will be somewhat fired up for this, ok they barely beat Coolderry recently but either did Belmont so somewhere in between is the real form guide, I think Belmont should win, I'll' go Belmont 2-15 Coolderry 1-14.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:51 pm Birr V Shinrone - I ll go for Shinrone and only just...Shinrone 0-20 Birr 2-12
I think Shinrone forwards IF they can make the space can get enough scores, their lack of goals in some games is a worry..they wont get many if any here against a very inform Brian Mullins, neutral to both, I wouldnt mind if Birr did sneak through, but given Shinrone are now firing well this year since the championship returned, Ime giving them the nod on a scoreline with no goal for Shinrone...Shinrone I think.

Coolderry V Belmont...Ime going with Belmont 2-15 Coolderry 1-14...unlike above where both teams have good recent form,its hard look beyond Bemont here, thats not to say Coolderry have the relegation matter dealt with and with some poor results in group games are still in QF and in a position to defend their title..on form their should only be one winner, but I suspect Coolderry will be somewhat fired up for this, ok they barely beat Coolderry recently but either did Belmont so somewhere in between is the real form guide, I think Belmont should win, I'll' go Belmont 2-15 Coolderry 1-14.
Just on the view that Shinrone "lack goals in some games", I have reviewed results for the 6 remaining teams from the group stage and come up with the following analysis regarding goals scored:

St Rynaghs
Goals Scored: 12
Games Goals scored: 7 / 7

Shinrone
Goals Scored: 9
Games Goals Scored: 5/7

Birr
Goals Scored: 9
Games Goals Scored: 3/7

KK
Goals Scored: 8
Games Goals Scored: 6/7

Belmont
Goals Scored: 8
Games Goals Scored: 4/7

Coolderry
Goals Scored: 7
Games Goals Scored: 4/7

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

actually didnt really realise that until I sat down and went through their results, no goals scored in their game against either KK or Rynaghs (top 2 teams) and I think 4 of their goals scored against the now relegation finalists, I suppose that was the point I was trying to make initially, but I take your point also..they have scored goals...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

While I was at it, I also reviewed each teams goals conceded:

Shinrone
Goals Conceded: 2
Clean Sheets 5/7

KK
Goals Conceded: 3
Clean Sheets 5/7

St Rynaghs
Goals Conceded: 5
Clean Sheets 3/7

Belmont
Goals Conceded: 7
Clean Sheets 3/7

Birr

Goals Conceded: 9
Clean Sheets 2/7

Coolderry
Goals Conceded: 10
Clean Sheets 2/7

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Shinrone for the county title so by looks of it :)

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Predictions for the quarter finals

Birr v Shinrone
Although Shinrone have been performing well lately, they have been known to have a mental weakness in getting over quarter finals. Whether this has changed wont be known until 6.30pm on Saturday evening. The open space of OCP should suit the Shinrone team who I feel will have extra legs in the middle third. Accuracy in front of the posts have been problems for both these teams over the last few years also. Birr will need a big performance from Cahill as I can't see them scoring many goals against a strong Shinrone full back line. I don't think this game will be a classic and I am going to give Birr a hesitant vote with Shinrones wide tallies coming back to haunt them.
Birr 1-16 Shinrone 1-14

Belmont v Coolderry
I think this will be the better game of the 2 quarter finals. Coolderry will come into this with renewed confidence I feel with the threat of relegation abated. Experience in winning tight games will also be a factor with Belmont struggling to get over the line in close games in the knockout stages over the last few years. Belmont appear to have strengthened their panel this year with more options from the bench which should see them finish stronger than Coolderry who have limited options off the bench. Goals could be decisive in this game and in a high scoring classic, I am going to go with Coolderry to pull off what some might see as a surprise result.
Belmont 3-15 Coolderry 2-20

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

both above may be very accurate, regarding the Shinrone wides, they have be very economical this year in most games, I know they scored 22 points in last game plus whatever wides, so even if you chalk off 5 points off their 22 scored last day, 17 points will be in or about enough to get a result in the Birr game, provided of course their backs do the business down the other end of the field. I dont know about the other game, the more I think about it, I ccannot see where Cooderrys high score of 2-20 is going to to come from, its possible they might hit the ground running in this game as its do or die in defence of their title...they certainly have the forwrards to put up that score but their recent forms doesnt suggest they will, but as I say its do or die for these 4 teams, and infairness, these games, I think will be competitive start to finish...

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Probably the wrong thread, but I’d just like to take a moment to recognise the amazing season that Kilcormac-killoughy are having. 4 adult teams fielded, 3 in semi finals or finals. Could well have teams in the top 4 grades next season which would be unbelievable considering the fact that it is only 8 teams per grade.
Flying it throughout underaged grades too. Really setting the standards in the county. Well done to them. We need more clubs like them. That’s all.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I always think when and if a team win a senior B and go Senior A, and they already have a Senior A team, they should have a stab at fielding a second senior A team...I wonder is that allowed only no team goes ahead with it for logistical reasons..has any club ever done it?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 am I always think when and if a team win a senior B and go Senior A, and they already have a Senior A team, they should have a stab at fielding a second senior A team...I wonder is that allowed only no team goes ahead with it for logistical reasons..has any club ever done it?
Sarsfields in Tipp did it this year by competing in 2 different divisional areas I think, say Mid, South, North, East.

As you can tell, that didn’t exactly work out well. I’m not sure what way they split the panel or how it was ran. I just remember reading something about it at the start of the year.
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

after a team wins Senior B/Intermediate (depending on county structure) and become Senior A all the headlines are "??? can enter 2 teams in the SHC next season" but it never happens..interesting to hear it was tried in Tipp...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There is much scepticism regarding Shinrone’s ability to produce it in a quarter-final. Which is reasonable – their track record at this stage speaks for itself. It actually screams for itself.

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. This year, they have been different. Their hurling has been much more direct, organised and forceful. The figures stack up: won five games in succession for the first time ever; scored goals in five successive matches for the first time since 2006, kept their opponents to zero goals in five successive matches for the first time since 2012. And can anyone remember Shinrone coming from 10 points behind to win a match before? I can’t.

Of course, they need to bring their current form to Tullamore with them. They goals-against column has been filled with ‘duck eggs’ because their half-back line defend very deeply. If their opponents dally, or require a third pass, the road to goal is crowded by retreating Shinrone half-backs, followed by midfielders. Other hand, Bord na Móna Park is big and vast.

Then again, Birr lost last year’s quarter-final to a devastating late Belmont goal, the year before they were undone by a late late St Rynagh’s surge. So they are not as far away as you might think. Interesting to see who Oisín Murphy is delegated to mark – Adrian Cleary perhaps? Or Conor Doughan.

Kinnitty could find themselves in a tight relegation final on Sunday. Their forwards carried no real penetration against Coolderry, with the possible (and only possible) exception of Shane Kinsella. Ballinamere. With Paddy Murphy in ball winning form and Brian Duignan in scoring form may well take the honours here. KInnitty may need to score 3 goals to ensure their survival. Tough time d=s for a rural club.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

As much as people have pop at Shinrones inability to get over line in tight championship games, you'd have to say they are very consistent when it comes to the crunch time in knockout championship.

Again today, they never really led or were in any control and the same old faults arose again today. There is no doubt but that they have the calibre of hurlers to achieve more than they have been doing! If you keep doing what you always did, you always get what you always got! They are young enough to learn but they need to learn quickly if they are to start fulfilling any of their potential.
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr 0-18
Shinrone 0-15

I would have to say I am quiet happy with that for a few reasons.

Not much people gave Birr a chance, but unfortunately for Shinrone that suited Birr. Shinrone made some awful decisions in the first half and hurling with that wind they needed to start well they done anything but that.

Conor Doughan was pretty much non existent which was key to Birrs win, the clever 3 on the half back line along with the 3 young chaps in behind them managed the Shinrone forward line with relative ease.

I presumed Birr would push on after halt time but they took there time to get on top. The management will have to note that and wonder why they didn't.

When the last 15 mins came Birr got on top and got some super scores.

It was not the best game ever but it was a game Birr needed to win and that's what they done they grinded it out and some or there senior players stood out, Sean Ryan And Paul Cleary to name but a few.

They will be underdogs in the semi final but I wouldnt write them off just yet.

On a side note the atmosphere was awful was it really necessary to bring that game to OCP( I am not trying to start a debate but it was just so empty over there)