Players of the Faithful

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Players of the Faithful

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This documentary regarding the 1982 All Ireland final was excellent. Even though everyone here would be familiar with the game and the backdrop, it was still well woven together.

There was a treasure trove of archive footage that I'd never seen before, which was thrilling to see. The interviews and training footage especially. Up for the Match with Bishop Eamon Casey in the front row. And him with an 8 year old nipper at the time.

A couple of topics were particularly of interest. The employment generated by Bord na Mona and the ESB were seen as significant. With decline of big local employment, you'd have to fear the GAA is sliding towards an even greater dominance by the big population, moneybags counties, unless the imbalance is addressed.

If Kerry were trying to play down the hype, it was an impossible task with the circus that was going on. This was a massive help for Offaly.

This was purely Offaly focussed, and there were no Kerry contributions. Which was fine, as inevitably Kerry talking heads would be required to circle the wagons and talk about pushes in the back.

I remember 11 years ago in Tullamore at 25 year commemoration do, Tommy Doyle, who was famously outjumped by Darby for the goal made the point that too much focus was being put on Offaly 'stopping' Kerry from doing 5-in-a-row as opposed to a great Offaly team winning an All Ireland on merit. Sometimes we easily forget this.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Players of the Faithful

Post by biffinbanner »

it was a great and well put together programme,i have it recorded and it will get a few more viewings id say. i suppose darragh moloney,head of sport in rte, being an offaly man didnt do any harm!! the one thing i got from it was how great matt actually was. with time we tend to forget a bit. he had everything . best ever? yes for sure. id class tony mctague a close second. i work with a few kerry lads and in fairness they enjoyed it(at least they said they did!!)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The closing scenes showing the demolition of the ESB cooling towers were particularly poignant. Gone are the employment opportunities that existed back in those days. And a juxtaposition of the way Offaly football came crashing down relatively quickly after the 1982 win.

Offaly just about falling over the line in their semi-final win over Galway helped cement Kerry’s favouritism too.

Od that Eugene McGee should cite the vulnerability of an inexperienced corner-back in the piece. After all, it was he who brought Stephen Darby on to mark a rampant John Egan in the first half, when the Rhode man had hardly ever played corner-back before or after. And he had Charlie Conroy in reserve that day too.

I watched the 1982 Final in full a couple of weeks ago, and made the following observations, apart from the obvious: -
- Pat Fitzgerald was almost flawless, hardly put a foot wrong and used the ball fierce intelligently;
- Taking off Mick Lowry seemed a bit harsh (and as a I wrote above, Stephen Darby wasn’t really a corner-back);
- I disagree with Martin Furlong, John Egan’s first ‘fall’ wasn’t a penalty, but the second one was, but only because Darby had his right arm around the Kerry forward;
- Johnny Mooney was a wonderful talent. And on talent alone, that full-forward line of Mooney, Connor M and Lowry B must rank as one of the greatest full-forward lines to line out together in an All-Ireland final;
- Richie Connor did a lot of good link work at centre half-forward. Mad that it was a position in which he was unfamiliar;
- Offaly’s forward movement and diagonal kicking in the first half was a joy to watch. Hard to know why it didn’t work at all in the second half;
- Does anyone know who got RTE’s man of the match?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

The importance of jobs was emphasised quite a bit and then the demolition shows really the last 40 years give or take.

I would have loved Rouse to take the offaly job full time, I think he would bring through the passion he has for the gaa and offaly football but unfortunately work and family life has to comes first.

A really good documentary, I am sure it was enjoyed by all counties even some in Kerry.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

[quote="Plain of the
- Does anyone know who got RTE’s man of the match?[/quote]

I think it was Martin furlong
Doon exile....

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Furlong got the Texaco Footballer of the Year for 82, that I’m certain of
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Buttons wrote:The importance of jobs was emphasised quite a bit and then the demolition shows really the last 40 years give or take.

I would have loved Rouse to take the offaly job full time, I think he would bring through the passion he has for the gaa and offaly football but unfortunately work and family life has to comes first.

A really good documentary, I am sure it was enjoyed by all counties even some in Kerry.
The decline in jobs based on turf production and power generation is one factor in the decline of Offaly football. Three power stations, Rhode, Ferbane, and Portarlington stations are no more. Excellent programme, well done to RTE.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Documentary related article.

Fascinating details herein. Apologize if this is all common knowledge:

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/entertain ... eland-win/
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.