Leinster Club Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Passing thoughts on the Leinster Club final

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sunday’s Leinster club final sees the Battle of the Ballys. Far removed from each other though – one bally a rural club with a village suffering decay like so many of its like nationwide, the other bally could be half of a decent sized county.

Despite that rural decay, a new era for Ballyhale dawned last December when thy won the County U21 championship, and a good smathering of those have already graduated to Senior ranks. Still, the Kilkenny champions have blown hot and cold on the way to winning the Senior championship. Though sharp when beating Ballyragget and Dicksboro, they then blew cold, requiring a replay (and a single point) win over a Castlecomer side who wouldn’t be anyone’s idea of title contenders, to reach the final. Hot in the opening stages of the Final, a quickfire 1-5 opening a gap the opposition couldn’t bridge. That Adrian Mullen impressed but only in the first half, and Ronan Corcoran and Richie Reid were more prominent after half-time, demonstrated their up-and-down, in-and-out nature. Then Colin Fennelly, who barely featured the county final, scored 4-4 the last day against Wexford.

Doubts about Ballyboden too. Full-back line wasn’t secure. Though Gary Maguire will likely return in goal. Mick Fennelly will patrol the Ballyhale 45m line, where the Ballyboden runners will encounter him on their journeys with ball on stick. Ballyhale’s half-forwards will drop deeper. That the Dublin champions’ scoring seemed to come in bursts against Coolderry (opening 5 minutes, 5 minutes before half-time, few minutes after half-time, and opening minutes of both extra-time periods). And that they couldn’t put away an opposition with five over 35s on the field until said opposition was reduced to 13 men, and that after 85 minutes of hurling. No element of surprise regarding Colm Basquel on Sunday, he has been well heralded, though Joey Holden could well be troubled if Ballyboden can get a supply flowing. Kilkenny will pull him down rather than risk the goal, something Offaly in general could learn to do.

Ballyboden won fewer puckouts than their opposition the last day, though they had an advantage in the rucks and scrums. That’s an advantage they won’t have here. And their Wexford born manager won’t have the benefit of a Wexford referee. Ballyhale have the class, someone will turn in an individual display of brilliance, brightening up their village for the winter.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

suckindiesel
Senior

Re: Leinster Club Hurling

Post by suckindiesel »

all very fine POTH but nice to get your facts correct.

ballyhale won all their knockout matches in Kilkenny. They did not require a replay to beat Comer(erins own). You may be mixing up , because it was Comer who needed a replay to beat the Village in the previous round.

I think they will be too savvy for the dubs. in fact I expect all the 3 Kilkenny sides to win the hurling titles this weekend.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

OK, Ballyhale beat Castlecomer by a single point. It doesn't change my point that Ballyhale showed a remarkable dip in form that day.

And tell me, was that the match that Mick Fennelly and Joey Holden had to switch places, with the former going to full-back and the latter going centre-back?
suckindiesel wrote:all very fine POTH but nice to get your facts correct.

ballyhale won all their knockout matches in Kilkenny. They did not require a replay to beat Comer(erins own). You may be mixing up , because it was Comer who needed a replay to beat the Village in the previous round.

I think they will be too savvy for the dubs. in fact I expect all the 3 Kilkenny sides to win the hurling titles this weekend.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

for the record I attended the two comer/village games in Ballyraggett and comer were playing out of their skins. when ballyhale defeated them, by a point in the semi final, they were in effect knocking out the best form team left in the championship bar themselves.