Leinster Club Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Leinster Club Hurling

Post by LooseCannon »

Coolderry can win.
Will they?
Sin scéal eile.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sin sceal eile is right. Always hard to know when two teams haven't really faced each other. (I know they met in 2011, which win will be a little boost to Coolderry.) Parnell Park won't be a massive factor either. Coolderry won't be troubled by a tight pitch, whatever else. Coolderry will have the entire parish present to cheer them on, Ballyboden will have their membership, a few busloads of juvenile supporters. And while Coolderry will be an open book, given that their last two matches were televised, the sad postponement of Ballyboden's quarter-final afforded Coolderry the opportunity to check them out.

There's been a solidity and a manliness about Coolderry this year. Everyone has got on with the job in hand, nothing flash. There were matches that should have got away from them (Shinrone, Kinnitty, Rynaghs, the semi-final against Belmont) but didn't. Nearly everyone wears black boots, there appear to be no tattoos. You could call it 'black boot hurling'. Maybe their 'black boot hurling' will get them over the line on Sunday. You just wouldn't know.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Anfearban
Junior A

Post by Anfearban »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Sin sceal eile is right. Always hard to know when two teams haven't really faced each other. (I know they met in 2011, which win will be a little boost to Coolderry.) Parnell Park won't be a massive factor either. Coolderry won't be troubled by a tight pitch, whatever else. Coolderry will have the entire parish present to cheer them on, Ballyboden will have their membership, a few busloads of juvenile supporters. And while Coolderry will be an open book, given that their last two matches were televised, the sad postponement of Ballyboden's quarter-final afforded Coolderry the opportunity to check them out.

There's been a solidity and a manliness about Coolderry this year. Everyone has got on with the job in hand, nothing flash. There were matches that should have got away from them (Shinrone, Kinnitty, Rynaghs, the semi-final against Belmont) but didn't. Nearly everyone wears black boots, there appear to be no tattoos. You could call it 'black boot hurling'. Maybe their 'black boot hurling' will get them over the line on Sunday. You just wouldn't know.
Love it POTH. Perhaps to be sponsored by a a restaurant in Ferbane?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

There's even a green and white colours connection. The marketing possibilities are considerable.
Anfearban wrote:Love it POTH. Perhaps to be sponsored by a a restaurant in Ferbane?

Anfearban
Junior A

Post by Anfearban »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There's even a green and white colours connection. The marketing possibilities are considerable.
Anfearban wrote:Love it POTH. Perhaps to be sponsored by a a restaurant in Ferbane?
You are definitely onto something now...better call Joachim.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Fair play tday Coolderry. No morale victory here they died with their boots on and did Offaly proud. Brian Carroll 2-16 (2-5 play) incredible.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Will post later in the week in more detail. But one word sums me up right now.

Heartbroken
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I'm far from a Coolderry fan but kudos on an unbelievable performance and they really should be in a Leinster Final this evening.

All Ireland final on in March, last 16 game has to be finished on the day 4 months in advance. Ridiculous.

90 minutes hurling in November and the GAA promote "player welfare"....please spare me.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

So sorry, man.

(Just that, there are no other words.)
Wing Back wrote:Will post later in the week in more detail. But one word sums me up right now.

Heartbroken

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i wasnt at the game as the previous 2 cotributors were but i was talking to a few lads one from dublin one from kildare and they both said coolderry got rode big time. wasnt a dirty game.ref sent off the goalie for nothing,they seen nothing for the other 2 sendings off(they said there was no protestations from the dubs lads?) also there was 3 min extra played trying to get b boden to equalise? after rhode getting similar treatment last week its tough as we could have two good teams in the latter stages of leinster but have none due to poor referees..

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

I made the worthwhile trip from offaly to Parnell Park yesterday and it was worth every cent of the diesel and €10 entrance fee i paid. After 5 mins i was wondering what sort of number were they going to loose by after conceding 2-1 in the space of 3 mins but to Coolderrys credit they dug their heels in and battled back like pure warriors (on 3 occasions). Their never say die attitude was sublime and they were a joy to watch, they are a credit to their club and county. If they weren't play against 16 men for 100 mins i honestly believe that they would be going back training tomorrow evening preparing for a leinster final. I know its been said but i am going to mention it AGAIN the ref was a disgrace. Its easy blame the referee but as an outsider of Coolderry i fully feel as to why Wingback mentioned previously that is heartbroken. It would be a bit easier take when you have been given a fair crack at the whip .Your club represented Coolderry and offaly with the utmost pride and your whole parish should be extremely proud.

Coolderry went to hell and back yesterday for 100 mins and left everything in them out on that field. The general public of Offaly wouldnt be coolderrys biggest fans and plenty would give out about them at times for reasons i dont know (Me included) i reckon its just the fact ye are so bloody successful and people dislike when teams win a lot, i was gutted leaving yesterday, i saw the work and physical tortue you put your bodies through and for that i will be one doing a lot less badmouthing of them, I was extremely proud to be from offaly yesterday knowing their is hurlers like ye still in this fine county. The way they conducted themselves after the final whistle and how they went about their business on the field of play it was great to see, many teams would have given up each time but not those 20 + men that took to the field to represent your club with pride. it was great to see a team like the offaly of old, never ever beaten until the final whistle. Thanks for that titanic battle yesterday and keep the heads up ye should be proud of what ye done.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Hard luck to Coolderry on a battling display. After a disastrous start they showed a lot of character to battle back and from the reports Ive heard, were probably a little unlucky to come up short at the finish.

Brian Carroll put up a savage score. 2.16 I think, incredible. I played against the lad many times, so very surprised he was sent off. It would immediately strike me as either a bad call from the referee or retaliation to major provocation. He is a super clean player. In my opinion, nearly too clean by times. And I still have scars from playing coolderry down through the years and wouldn't say that lightly about too many. Brady and him would be very key men for Coolderry so I imagine that probably tipped it for Ballyboden in the end.

When you compare the size of the two clubs, its remarkable Coolderry can match and arguably better the likes of these huge Dublin clubs who have much bigger numbers and resources.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

allstar2010 wrote:Great win for Coolderry over those absolute knackers!
Love the forum, love Offaly Hurling. Am not an MLR man, but from a neighbouring club who love nothing more than scelping MLR! But would like to point out that they wouldnt be regarded as a dirty team at all down here, too soft at times if anything. As a Carlow man, i respect our champions and what they have won and achieved over the last few years from a small hurling base - we ve just 4 senior clubs now, and it how their success has benefitted the county. I just couldnt stand by and let a comment like this go - just read the thread after a while off it. I think it would also be v unfair of outside people to call coolderry a dirty team despite 5 red cards in 2 matches - they are not either, so i hope some posters on here get my line of thinking. Hard luck to Coolderry yesterday. It was a game for the ages. why extra extra time despite the huge gap in games and no intercounty is just ridiculous.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I have seen a few posts and tweets disagreeing with extra time X2 being played on the day, especially considering that there will be a massive gap after the provincial finals to the AI semi finals. I actually think it is a great move to try to finish games in one day and it sets things up nicely for condensing the seasons/length of time it takes to play competitions. Having a 2018 competition (club championships) spill over 3 months into 2019 is not an ideal situation. The aim should be to finish it by Christmas each year in Croke Park. Yes, 90 mins of hurling is a lot, but with the fitness of the players these days, I think it is achievable for most and the amount of substitutes allowed means that panels can be utilized if necessary.

Well done to Coolderry on a great performance and effort. Will be disappointed with the result but not the nature of the defeat. If anything, it will drive them on for 2019.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Coolderry have to feel hard done by here.
Offaly team are on the wrong side to too many decision over the last number of year.
Ballyboden has two point that were wide today (that what the Boden lads in the Office are saying) and one was wide by a about 4 feet.
All the other decision we have to have a look at tonight but that said Brian Carroll getting sent off is not normal.

Love Coolderry and the style of Hurling. tough, hard and fair but a little to fair at time. they need to lie down roll around that what been done to them so while I hate look at that shit. It's now part of the game.

A brilliant year for a great team. Sad to be robbed by a ref afraid of the Dubs bandwagon..
“Common sense is not so common.”