U21 Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

U21 Hurling

Post by LooseCannon »

The Offaly U21 Hurling Management Aidan Hanrahan, Pat McIntyre, Ollie Glynn and Jimmy Conway have named their side to play Galway on Wednesday evening 13th June at 7.30pm in Bord na Mona O’Connor Park.

1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr) (Capt.)
2 Michael Gilligan (Seir Kieran)
3 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
4 Cathal O’Meara (Clara)
5 Ross Connaughton (Carrig & Riverstown)
6 Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty)
7 Dylan Watkins (Birr)
8 Cathal O’Brien (Shamrocks)
9 David Buckley (Clodiagh Gaels)
10 Brian Duignan (Ballinamere)
11 Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
12 Joe Keenaghan (Clodiagh Gaels)
13 Conor Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
14 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)
15 Wayne Mooney (Shamrocks)

Would anyone have any idea as to who else is on the panel. I heard that Woods from Rynagh’s is when I was down in Nowlan Park.
Good Luck

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Re: U21 Hurling

Post by Mrbrightside »

LooseCannon wrote:The Offaly U21 Hurling Management Aidan Hanrahan, Pat McIntyre, Ollie Glynn and Jimmy Conway have named their side to play Galway on Wednesday evening 13th June at 7.30pm in Bord na Mona O’Connor Park.

4 Cathal O’Meara (Clara)
7 Dylan Watkins (Birr)
14 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)

Would anyone have any idea as to who else is on the panel. I heard that Woods from Rynagh’s is when I was down in Nowlan Park.
Eoin Woods, Fergal Hanamy, Ciaran Cleary, Evan Kelly, Aidan King, Caolan Kelly, David Nally, Conor Molloy, Will Malone, Cathal Curran .. I think most of these are on panel, not certain on some

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Some right good players on that team. Have we a chance?3
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There's a chance, if they don't allow Galway to build an early lead. Offaly beat Tipperary in a Semple Stadium challenge two weeks ago with a last minute goal, so there is heart and determination there. Ollie Glynn will have a good knowledge of the opposition, and any Aidan Hanrahan coached side will be organised on the field and off, and their training will have been quick and sharp.

Galway are very quiet, and as far as they are concerned they are coming to Tullamore on a dry run for playing Kilkenny at the same venue next week.
jimbob17 wrote:Some right good players on that team. Have we a chance?3
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Galway have announced the following fifteen: -

1. Eanna Murphy, Tommy Larkins
2. Ian O'Shea, Athenry
3. Fintan Burke, Capt, St Thomas
4. Shane Bannon, Clarinbridge
5. Caelom Mulry, Abbeyknockmoy
6. Mark Hughes, Liam Mellows
7. Sean Loftus, Turloughmore
8. Thomas Monaghan, Craughwell
9. Jack Grealish, Gort
10. Sean Blehane, Ahascragh/Fohenagh
11. Brian Concannon, Killimordaly
12. Ciannan Fahy, Ardrahan
13. Evan Niland, Clarinbridge
14. Ronan Murphy, Tommy Larkins
15. Kevin Cooney, Sarsfields

Jack Coyne, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Canning & Cian Sammon are on the injured list and Leaving Cert Students were not considered
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Galway have announced the following fifteen: -

1. Eanna Murphy, Tommy Larkins
2. Ian O'Shea, Athenry
3. Fintan Burke, Capt, St Thomas
4. Shane Bannon, Clarinbridge
5. Caelom Mulry, Abbeyknockmoy
6. Mark Hughes, Liam Mellows
7. Sean Loftus, Turloughmore
8. Thomas Monaghan, Craughwell
9. Jack Grealish, Gort
10. Sean Blehane, Ahascragh/Fohenagh
11. Brian Concannon, Killimordaly
12. Ciannan Fahy, Ardrahan
13. Evan Niland, Clarinbridge
14. Ronan Murphy, Tommy Larkins
15. Kevin Cooney, Sarsfields

Jack Coyne, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Canning & Cian Sammon are on the injured list and Leaving Cert Students were not considered
Interestingly, or perhaps not, Murphy, Niland, Cooney, O’Shea, Ciannan Fahy, as well as Canning, Fitzpatrick and Sammon were all involved in their 15 point defeat in the minor all Ireland semi final to Tipp two years ago.
Off the top of my head, Blehane as well as Canning were involved with last year’s winning side.
S Loftus amongst others was part of the all Ireland winning minor side of 2015.
Here’s the scorers from the 2015 final:
E Niland (0-9, 0-8f), C Fahy (1-0), M Lynch (1-0), B Concannon (1-0), L Forde (1-0), J Coyne (0-2), T Monaghan (0-1), S Loftus (0-1). From Wikipedia, the link for the report on it didn’t work unfortunately.

While I’m at it, here’s the scorers from last year’s final:
J Canning (2-02), C Molloy (0-07, 0-07f), S Bleahane (0-05), D Loftus (0-01); B Moran (0-01); D Mannion (0-01).
From the42.ie.
Here’s the report:http://www.the42.ie/galway-minor-hurlin ... 5-Sep2017/

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There's a chance, if they don't allow Galway to build an early lead. Offaly beat Tipperary in a Semple Stadium challenge two weeks ago with a last minute goal, so there is heart and determination there. Ollie Glynn will have a good knowledge of the opposition, and any Aidan Hanrahan coached side will be organised on the field and off, and their training will have been quick and sharp.

Galway are very quiet, and as far as they are concerned they are coming to Tullamore on a dry run for playing Kilkenny at the same venue next week.
Good to hear that we have been competitive challenge games against the likes of Tipp. The makeup of the clubs in this one is fascinating, both from a geographic point of view and the fact that only 6 are from clubs that are currently senior. I doubt that has ever happened before at this level.

Out of curiousity Plain, why do you say that about Galway, that as far as they are concerned this is just a dry run for playing Kilkenny?

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

llkj wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:There's a chance, if they don't allow Galway to build an early lead. Offaly beat Tipperary in a Semple Stadium challenge two weeks ago with a last minute goal, so there is heart and determination there. Ollie Glynn will have a good knowledge of the opposition, and any Aidan Hanrahan coached side will be organised on the field and off, and their training will have been quick and sharp.

Good to hear that we have been competitive challenge games against the likes of Tipp. The makeup of the clubs in this one is fascinating, both from a geographic point of view and the fact that only 6 are from clubs that are currently senior. I doubt that has ever happened before at this level.

Out of curiousity Plain, why do you say that about Galway, that as far as they are concerned this is just a dry run for playing Kilkenny?
Interesting point. Ony 6 blokes hurling senior at club level. Not one forward from any of the hurling strongholds in Offaly. Nobody from KK, Coolderry or Shinrone good enough to make the team.

Lads, Ive hurled senior against the likes of Clareen, and clubs with strong hurling tradition and often heard the snipes from some loud mouth supporters that "their only footballers". Well the south would want to get the finger out because it looks very much like ye are producing nothing. If teams can concentrate fully on hurling and are still not producing county standard hurlers then there is a very serious issue with coaching.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

LooseCannon wrote:The Offaly U21 Hurling Management Aidan Hanrahan, Pat McIntyre, Ollie Glynn and Jimmy Conway have named their side to play Galway on Wednesday evening 13th June at 7.30pm in Bord na Mona O’Connor Park.

4 Cathal O’Meara (Clara)
7 Dylan Watkins (Birr)
14 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)

Lads, could ye post up the hurling team and not the football team please?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

This panel really shows that the so called hurling clubs rely on their name and tradition rather than anything of real substance. The problem with a lot of clubs is they have ex hurlers with playing experience but little or very poor coaching experience. I include all ireland winners in that also. Best of luck to the 21s. Galway are very good and should win handy against Offaly and shoukd beat KK.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree, the lack of south offaly selection just shows where effort was being put into 10 to 14 years ago.

Is there is a player from the south not on it that should be on it? Nobody from KK on it? I seen them in minor 2 years ago and Ryan at center back was excellent and Stephen Leonard I taught would be a definite.

Is 10 a typo? is this suppose to be Sean Duignan? Is Brian not the younger guy that is still in school??

Team looks strong down the middle.. Heard they had to play Cahill in goals because the second choice got injured. This might be the difference as to who takes the free's now.

Best of luck to all involved.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

kaiserchief wrote:I agree, the lack of south offaly selection just shows where effort was being put into 10 to 14 years ago.

Is there is a player from the south not on it that should be on it? Nobody from KK on it? I seen them in minor 2 years ago and Ryan at center back was excellent and Stephen Leonard I taught would be a definite.

Is 10 a typo? is this suppose to be Sean Duignan? Is Brian not the younger guy that is still in school??

Team looks strong down the middle.. Heard they had to play Cahill in goals because the second choice got injured. This might be the difference as to who takes the free's now.

Best of luck to all involved.
Shaun Lowry from K-K is on the panel. I’m not sure about any other K-K players. That is Brian Duignan at number 10 and I think he will be on the frees as he has taken them in a number of challenge matches. He is still in school as is Cathal O’Meara who will line out at corner back. It is going to be tough for the young lads but anything can happen on the day. Best of luck!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lads would you stop this is one team that has more lads from the North more so than the South...The first thing I would like to say is its worrying because it doesn't mean they are any good...looking at the level some of these lads are hurling at you would have to be concerned about the outcome of this match.(specially with all the footballers on the team) :lol:

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

greenairfield wrote:Lads would you stop this is one team that has more lads from the North more so than the South...The first thing I would like to say is its worrying because it doesn't mean they are any good...looking at the level some of these lads are hurling at you would have to be concerned about the outcome of this match.(specially with all the footballers on the team) :lol:
its a sign that the so called hurling clubs in the south are producing nothing. if they spent less time complaining about oconnor park and got their heads out of the sand offaly hurling would not be as poor as it is.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Timber I'll have you know there's the world of work going on in the so called traditional clubs as you call them don't worry. Now Shinrone don't have a starter on the team but they have four starters on the minor team and four also on the U17 team. That's just one club. Your not going to have a strong batch at every grade that's just the way it works. I think you shouldn't be to bother about what club a young fella is from. The most important thing is whoever has the jersey in regardless of where in Offaly he's from he gets our full support.