U21 Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
timber
All Star

Re: U21 Hurling

Post by timber »

King Kev wrote:Timber I'll have you know there's the world of work going on in the so called traditional clubs as you call them don't worry. Now Shinrone don't have a starter on the team but they have four starters on the minor team and four also on the U17 team. That's just one club. Your not going to have a strong batch at every grade that's just the way it works. I think you shouldn't be to bother about what club a young fella is from. The most important thing is whoever has the jersey in regardless of where in Offaly he's from he gets our full support.

dont get me wrong its great to see lads from the north getting a bit of fair play and a decent crack at getting in these teams. its a big departure from the 90s and early 2000s where alot of management from the south were pretty ignorant about it.

only 6 senior club players in the side. i find that remarkable for a small county. to say there is nobody good enough from the likes of coolderry kk and shinrone is pretty poor showing from those clubs. lads who are cully concentrating on hurling and not just playing a bit every second week.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Timber your lambasting club from the south just because you have ONE team with more from the north...
If your good enough you will be on it...I just think it's a weak team!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Jesus, I am sorry I pointed out anything about the geographic spread of the clubs, seeing some of the petty BS comments on here. This whole North/South divide is such rubbish. If we are to stand any chance in the future we need to pull together as one. We are way too small a county not to be producing strong clubs and county standard players from all over the county.

Anyway, I see the game is live on TG4, so for those of us unable to make it, it is nice to be able to see it on TV. Best of luck to ALL involved.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Just looking at Paddypower who rarely gets things wrong and according to them tonight will not be good viewing..

Galway 1/66 and Offaly 14/1 for the win..

Handicap is set at 14 points.. Hopefully the lads can do themselves some justice and prove PP wrong..

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Timber your name is very apt. You have a chip on both shoulders with regards to players from "North" Offaly not getting a fair deal in the past.
The facts speak for themselves. It's only in the last few years we have really seen clubs from there making a big impact in the A grades at underage. It's not rocket science why so few in the past were being selected, the hurlers weren't there.
I'm delighted to see big strides being made by clubs like Ballinamere and Na Fianna, long may it continue and if it can be sustained along with a revival in shall we call them the traditional clubs then we will have a better future.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

joe bloggs wrote:Timber your name is very apt. You have a chip on both shoulders with regards to players from "North" Offaly not getting a fair deal in the past.
The facts speak for themselves. It's only in the last few years we have really seen clubs from there making a big impact in the A grades at underage. It's not rocket science why so few in the past were being selected, the hurlers weren't there.
I'm delighted to see big strides being made by clubs like Ballinamere and Na Fianna, long may it continue and if it can be sustained along with a revival in shall we call them the traditional clubs then we will have a better future.
Could not disagree more. As a neutral (wouldnt consider myself north or south), there most definitely was a bias depending on who was over team. There were hurlers from B clubs that were good enough but not selected because of politics. Likes of Killeigh and BMere always had individual lads good enough but often not selected due to where they were from. I've seen some horrific stuff but again was always dependent on who was over team.

Not all from south were biased but a lot were and displayed political and geographical allegiances ahead of best interest of county.

I Helped out some years ago when a north lad ripped it up scoring 1-6 from play in final trial game before team panel chosen for minor team. He was 2nd or 3rd best forward on the panel but didn't make the 26. Obviously, I had no say but the three wise men from South made the call. One nephew got in ahead of him on 26 and wouldnt have deserved it in my opinion.

I remember the players themselves were sick for him having played underage all way up with him. The lad was distraught and didnt hurl for few years after! I was surprised when he actually went back at it.

It was so so wrong and embodied everything wrong about Offaly at the time. They were getting trimmings off Laois and Westmeath at minor around that time!

In 89, Finbarr Cullen from Edenderry played in All Ireland minor final. There were always lads in north that were good enough and always will be irrespective of whether their club team is contesting minor A championships or not! It just takes the right knowledgeable people to respect them and pick the team based on merit. You are no less an Offaly man, north or south!
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

We look shocking slow here, half time we down by 7

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Jesus, that was brutal.

Terrible first touch and striking ability. Ability to track the runner coming off the shoulder non-existent.

Poor poor standard from Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

where the fuck did they get that ref? sending off oisin kelly for nothing,worst call i ever seen? pulling up lads for nothing? i know a game offaly were outclassed but the standard of reffing is brutal

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Agree Galway way better, but my god the ref was atrocious absolutely atrocious

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

biffinbanner wrote:where the fuck did they get that ref? sending off oisin kelly for nothing,worst call i ever seen? pulling up lads for nothing? i know a game offaly were outclassed but the standard of reffing is brutal
Kelly must have called him a bollocks, or something of that kind.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Good god yes its another post where we can all agree on that the county board have a lot to answer for....

Who coached these players??...not up to that level what so ever!!

As for the North offaly folk taking swipes at us saying what we are doing south...looking at that your boys are not doing much either!!

Scoring 8 points how many from play ???...worst offaly team ever to represent us at U21 level.

Things will only get worse from here on in...work has to be done all over the county specially in the south because if lads down here can't start ahead of some them lads it doesn't say much.

Sorry for the slating of players I am sure they have worked and trained hard but nowhere near the level of intercounty.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Let's wait and see what the ref reports Kelly for. A lot of the twitter outrage might be premature. Other than that, the ref wasn't much of a difference.
The weaker team will usually foul more because they don't have the ball and are under pressure.
Most days, Offaly teams are hoping for leniency from the whistler for those reasons. The TG4 stats suggested the frees were evenly distributed.

Other than that the game was disappointing. Offaly were obviously the team with less ability but they looked very flat too. The body language was very passive. There was no fellas taking a chance and haring into a gap. Or someone to make a big turnover to gee the team up.
The forwards just didn't manage to get any space and the balls going in didn't open the play up either.

A damp dreary night and a low tempo game was exactly what Galway wanted.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

A nothing game. At underage would it be worthwhile to spilt liam mccarthy teams. Like the under 17 Celtic challenge. And leave teams like Offaly laois etc as stand alone teams.

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

What makes it worse Galway didn't look great :roll: they were sloppy and cruised to the win. our basic skills were absolutely atrocious! Always needed the extra second to control the ball