Celtic challenge cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hamstrings
Junior A

Celtic challenge cup

Post by hamstrings »

Can anyone explain the competition and what standard offaly are playing in the competition, cheers.

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Celtic challenge cup

Post by LooseCannon »

hamstrings wrote:Can anyone explain the competition and what standard offaly are playing in the competition, cheers.
Some counties have more than one team eg Kilkenny have a North team and a South team.
I think it’s a mix of lads on the minor panel with a few more fringe players. They’ve a different management team from the minors anyway, I’m almost sure
Good Luck

offalylovely
Junior C

Post by offalylovely »

It's for lads who aren't on the 1st 24 of minor panel and who are aged 16-17 but not doing the leaving. Full details are here http://www.gaa.ie/celticchallenge/

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So Offaly beat Laois, drew with Wexford, beat one of the Dublin teams last night and lost to the other Dublin team by a point. Considering where Offaly has spent a decade, that is impressive.

I was at the Wexford match. A game of two halves with a fresh wind, Offaly were outhurled in the first half into the wind, where a stronger Wexford typically drove everything wide. Second half, Offaly destroyed Wexford on the opposition's puckouts, from which Offaly were almost guaranteed possession and hurled their way back into it, point by point, and with the aid of a penalty goal. Offaly got a point ahead, Wexford goaled almost immediately but Offaly showed character to score the game's last two points.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalylovely
Junior C

Post by offalylovely »

They are now through to the Quarter Final v South Tipp.