Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

Post by DoingUntold »

This team definitely wont start anyway.

Shortt for Gardiner.
B Murphy for C Egan.

And their will be one more change thats lease expected

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

That team in nowhere near correct

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ye might get the Wexford team for us while ye're at it? Or does only the Offaly team get leaked to the public?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

By all accounts we have a championship debutant playing corner forward!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote:By all accounts we have a championship debutant playing corner forward!
Kevin Dunne tis so.
Good Luck

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Is Cillian Kiely injured or is he no longer in the frame? Anyone know? He is not named among the panel this week.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I take a dim view of insiders leaking the team. How do lads expect colleagues to play as a team when they can't keep a confidence themselves? Wexford usually start two fellas wearing a number exceeding 16, and I can't find their planned starting 15 anywhere.

I've said it before, but some 400 years on, we have learned nothing from the Battle of Kinsale.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I take a dim view of insiders leaking the team. How do lads expect colleagues to play as a team when they can't keep a confidence themselves? Wexford usually start two fellas wearing a number exceeding 16, and I can't find their planned starting 15 anywhere.

I've said it before, but some 400 years on, we have learned nothing from the Battle of Kinsale.
It was the same with the football last year against Westmeath. Sure the whole county knew that Ruairí Allen was going to play as a sweeper.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's all the one really Davy knows about 7 or 8 of our hurlers if even so who ever else starts he knows no different

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wow just wow. I knew from the warm up, Wexford were flying it, our warm up was like a puck around. The 3 weeks in a row took its toll on us but good god we were shocking poor. The attendance was shameful,

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Expected more from Offaly. Need to go back and play at a level where they can compete. Very poor all over the field. First touch, fitness and I don't know what way they were trying to hurl/system. Marking was juvenile stuff. Really really poor to watch. Also Offaly fans leaving with 5 minutes to go in first half.....fair play.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

It's painful to be beaten by so much.would antrim or westmeath be beaten by so much? We have to face reality. And the attendance wasn't shameful. At all.it was the gaa head in the sand attitude...there was a certain soccer match at 7.45 all the country want to see....easy fix oy v wex for 6pm

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

biffinbanner wrote:It's painful to be beaten by so much.would antrim or westmeath be beaten by so much? We have to face reality. And the attendance wasn't shameful. At all.it was the gaa head in the sand attitude...there was a certain soccer match at 7.45 all the country want to see....easy fix oy v wex for 6pm
There’s one problem straight away, if our supporters were at home watching shite on the tv what good did that do the 30 lads that really needed are support yesterday. We do need to face reality alright we are not good enough for this level right now, I’m not sure if we drop to the second tier if it will do us any good but for now we are just hanging on in these games and hoping we don’t get murdered which can’t be good either.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

As soon as the new Leinster championship format was decided which included relagation from the McCarthy cup for the bottom placed team we all knew that it was going to be tough task to stay in the top tier.

Were we to lose to Dublin the very nature of the loss last night makes the argument for tweaking the current system to allow us stay in the McCarthy cup in 2019 as very difficult to make. If we drop down to the McDonagh cup then so be it.

I would love to see a system where we would then be placed into receivership like a failed business. Croke park would appoint receivers, stand down our county board, put funding in place, appoint proper coaches and set in place a 5/7 year development plan because it is evident our county board lack the expertise, desire and vision to do it themselves.

We could be funded from the 6 million we are handing over to the GPA and also we can tell the Lee Chins of this world, to name but one, to f*** off with his 3 personal sponsors and be a proper amateur and get a job like the rest of us.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

The round robin structure is s proving to be a disaster for Offaly. There is not enough time between games to recover physically or to mentally get the heads right for the next weekend. That in itself doesn't fully account for the gulf in class last night. Offaly look to be a long way behind and the new championship structure will ensure it stays that way as it favours the stronger counties.
I left at half time last night as I couldn't watch any more. I make no apologies for doing so. No amount of support would have made any difference and I'd say the team would have preferred that there was nobody there to witness a humiliation.