Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

Post by DoingUntold »

1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr)
2 Tom Spain (Brosna Gaels)
3 Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
5 Damien Egan (Belmont)
6 Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)
7 Brendan Murphy (Birr)
8 David King (Coolderry)
9 Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
10 Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)
11 Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
12 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)
13 Dan Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
14 Colin Egan (Belmont)
15 Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
16 Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
17 Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
18 Sean Ryan (Birr)
19 Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty)
20 Tommy Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
21 David O’Toole Greene (Shamrocks)
22 Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)
23 Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
24 James Gorman (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
25 Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
26 Paddy Rigney (Kinnitty)

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

DoingUntold wrote:1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr)
2 Tom Spain (Brosna Gaels)
3 Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
5 Damien Egan (Belmont)
6 Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)
7 Brendan Murphy (Birr)
8 David King (Coolderry)
9 Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
10 Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)
11 Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
12 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)
13 Dan Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
14 Colin Egan (Belmont)
15 Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
16 Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
17 Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
18 Sean Ryan (Birr)
19 Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty)
20 Tommy Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
21 David O’Toole Greene (Shamrocks)
22 Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)
23 Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
24 James Gorman (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
25 Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
26 Paddy Rigney (Kinnitty)
I’m pretty sure that I read that Camon won’t be playing. Surprised to see Shortt on the bench, he kept Canning scoreless from play last year.
We’ve a few nice options from the bench, which is good to have.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I have to say, I like that team. Keeps up the continuity and the positivity that was built up during the league.

Cahill is the number 1 goalkeeper, justifiably so. The full-back line developed together during the league. Pat Camon's performance against Kilkenny saw he was the first choice centre half-back. Damien Egan filled a number of roles during the league. The number 7 jersey saw a few owners during the league (Shortt, Quinn, among others) - I do believe Brendan Murphy was drafted in post league campaign. David O'Toole unlucky to lose out. Cillian Kiely must have been an option here too.

No doubts Kinsella and King were always going to be at midfield, barring injury.

A hardworking half-forward line who are selected to win rucks and scrums. And a potentially lethal inside line of attack. Oisín Kelly replacing Kiely from the Kilkenny match. Kelly can move out to make a fourth half-forward if required. Half-forward line will need to make the ball stick. Don't allow McInerney to get comfortable, don't allow Pádraig Mannion to attach and don't allow Harte to gather loose ball. Indeed, Aidan Harte plays his best hurling against opposition with five forwards - today the Gort man will have to mark an opponent. Offaly need to get the ball long and high to the old reliables.

Galway have essentially selected last year's team. There will almost inevitably be a complacency issue. I'd actually be more concerned had they picked a newcomer in every line, based on current form.

Looking forward to it now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Very very concerned about Sean Gardiner at Full Back. Thought he ws in all sorts of bother against Kilkenny prior to injury and a lack of training won’t stand to him. Really hope I’m proven wrong.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of luck to the lads.
We're ready for the battle.

All we need is now is a battle song. Let leave Galway black and blue.
https://youtu.be/5wCUlPNlQuA
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Hard luck , we gave it a go. Galway’s class and experience showed in the end, Eoghan Cahill fair play lad outstanding performance! Stay positive and drive her on lads

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Need Kilkenny to push on :?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Went to game Saturday evening and it's hard to say if we have made any improvement this year,If we beat someone in Leinster then we can say we have.

At the end of the day the results are still pretty much the same. I thought our goalie was excellent and two corner backs tackled brilliantly. I am worried about gardner full back when he gets exposed he is very vunrable.

Our half back line was weak enough when they were run at but then yet again i am not sure if it is our two wing backs natural position both have played all over the field for both club and county..personally I don't think Camon is physical enough for centre back.

Midfield kinsella was quite had a couple of bad shots on goal king done okay.

The forwards currams mahon and Colin Egan were all poor and probably should of been taken off earlier not sure if Colin Egan is uo too inter counth anymore...they are in the half forward line too win there own ball and can't do that bring on someone else who might have something more to offer.

I thought Bergin and Dooley looked dangerous but didn't get enough good ball..and I thought oisin Kelly nearly tried too hard the ball wouldn't stick for him.

Hard to see us get a victory next week but kilkenny aren't world beaters either.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Keeper was excellent.

Spain made some good dispossesions but a couple of very poor hand-passes and a few very silly fouls gave Galway 5 points. Ben C very slow in getting rid...

Wing back gave Cooney freedom of the park in the first half, better second half. Pat C just not a defender,,,,, and the better of the half back line first to be replaced, IMO.....

Half forwards no pace. One run at Galway brought the goal for Shane but no more runs. Dan C ran out of steam after 20 mins, surprised he was not replaced at HT. Then when sub ready he made 2 good plays, first in the lead-up to Bergins goal and then scored a point. Sub held back but no further.

Galways hunger for goals surprised some but they had been flagged for lack of goals last year and in the league so probably out to prove a point.

One note on the ref. He called Offaly twice for hand on shoulder so why did he not call P Mannion for doing just that under every puck out.. That annoyed me !!!!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

ryot wrote:Keeper was excellent.

Spain made some good dispossesions but a couple of very poor hand-passes and a few very silly fouls gave Galway 5 points. Ben C very slow in getting rid...

Wing back gave Cooney freedom of the park in the first half, better second half. Pat C just not a defender,,,,, and the better of the half back line first to be replaced, IMO.....

Half forwards no pace. One run at Galway brought the goal for Shane but no more runs. Dan C ran out of steam after 20 mins, surprised he was not replaced at HT. Then when sub ready he made 2 good plays, first in the lead-up to Bergins goal and then scored a point. Sub held back but no further.

Galways hunger for goals surprised some but they had been flagged for lack of goals last year and in the league so probably out to prove a point.

One note on the ref. He called Offaly twice for hand on shoulder so why did he not call P Mannion for doing just that under every puck out.. That annoyed me !!!!
I accidentally closed the chrome app on my phone after doing a big write up.
Due to tiredness and laziness, I’m simply going to name my team for Kilkenny, dnd explain changes.
1 Eoghan Cahill- no explanation needed
2 Tom Spain
3 Dermot Shortt-I feel that he’s a bit bigger and a bit faster than Gardiner
4 Ben Conneely - Skill and perception (well put POTH)
5 David O’Toole-Greene - bigger than Damien Egan, more physical
6 Pat Camon/Kiely
7 Pat Camon/Delaney/ Rigney
8 David King
9 Shane Kinsella
10 Cillian Kiely / Kelly - ball winning
11 Joe Bergin - ball winning
12 Colin Egan ball winning
13 Shane Dooley - he looks a lot fitter and dangerous
14 Conor Mahon - bear in the square
15 Seán Ryan - pace. Put him on Paddy Deegan, who’s there to be ran around.

There’s be a strong bench as well, you’d have Tommy Geraghty, Damien Egan, Seán Gardiner, Gorman, Rigney, Delaney, Kelly potentially, Currams, Langton (pace), Quinn, etc

Well folks, what do ye think?
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

KK got their wake up call vs Dublin. Expect KK to start the game vs Offaly the way they finished vs Dublin. 10 + points win for KK is how I see it going. The one week turnaround will play a major factor towards the end of this game.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

private joker wrote:KK got their wake up call vs Dublin. Expect KK to start the game vs Offaly the way they finished vs Dublin. 10 + points win for KK is how I see it going. The one week turnaround will play a major factor towards the end of this game.
I agree, plus home advantage is a huge factor. And if we are going to be realistic our expectations have to be to stay within 10 points of KK, yet while trying to go out to win the game. Not too long ago where we where defensive, still being well beaten and there was nothing positive.

Can see fresh legs for this weekend with Dermot Shortt, David O Toole, Thomas Gerathy and maybe even Kiely and Sean Ryan starting.

This is what I hope Martin goes with.

We need to strengthen the half back line. As highlighted on Sunday game, midfield did ok but we need and falling back for puckouts and being defensive when don't have the ball. I think this is Kinsella's only downfall really. He is naturally a forward. Maybe Ryan should start in midfield.

Cahill

Spain
Shortt
Connelly

O Toole
Gardiner
Ryan

King
Kinsella

Egan
Mahon
Kiely

Dooley
Bergin
Gerathy

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Galway have improved from Last year. They had the condifance of been All Ireland Champion.
Some of the movement was outstanding. they only moved 8 or 9 yards but it was into space and drag someone out of position.

We have improved from Last year we went out and stood toe to toe with them and we found out what it takes to take on the best team in the country.
We also learn more about our own players.

I though our Forward fought Hard but when Mahon went out our Half forward line Galway took over. i thought Mahon need more help. I thought we could have move Damien Egan to midfield and Kinsella forward and maybe Colin to Full. I thought our wing back were too attacking. Egan and Murphy just a yard too far forward all the time.

The only thing i was a bit disappointed with was our 2nd half physicality. untill Kiely hit the Galway man in the last few mins we hadn't hit a Galway man a shoulder for the Whole 2nd Half.
I think we can ajust the team a little bit to be more effected.
I think Mental the mangement need to break the game down for the players to maintain the Level they had in the 1st half.
I think something like Sam Allardyce trick of breaking the game down in 10 mins segments. His idea is not to have 9 games plans (he only has 3, Kick the ball at the left, Kick the ball right and kick the ball down the middle) but to help the players refocus ever 10 mins.

To me the only thing that will stop Galway this year is themselves. At 80% that team will win the all Ireland again.

We need better defenders in the half back line. Murphy and Egan are fine hurlers but I don't think there the most natural defenders but again he to be careful not to take out the physical power they have. It's a really tough call.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Mahon was shocking don't know what game you were watching

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

These lads are coming across like a bunch of well behaved alter boys with the week the big ballers have had :D
I always felt the Kilkenny game would be key here. Last Saturday probably went as most expected although a few too many lads played well below their best in attack.
A hammering here and I'd worry about the next two games. Another good solid performance and why not even a win would keep things ticking along nicely. A lot of the focus has shifted to the Dubs after their admittedly good show on Sunday but I still fancy Offaly to take them Sunday 2 weeks. It's mad that the year is over in 16 days time so now is the time to get out support them as they genuinely deserve it.