Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

Post by Doon Exile »

Is Shane Dooley injured- hardly dropped??
Doon exile....

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The recent fuss about the unfairness of Leinster relegation stems from a fear that an improved Offaly might nobble the Dublin hurling project more than any great concern for Offaly hurling.

Let's hope there are some worried suits in HQ after the result!

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

dare i say it but the ref might be spoken to quietly as to the preferred result for gaa headquarters a la 2006?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Colm Lyons from Cork the ref.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

biffinbanner wrote:dare i say it but the ref might be spoken to quietly as to the preferred result for gaa headquarters a la 2006?
You actually saying games was rigged!!?, cop on. Offaly will deserve to go down if they lose and if they win, also deserve to stay up. Suggestion of anything else means your just getting in your excuses in early.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

A hammering for Offaly. Joe mcdonagh 2019. Serious issues within the county and maybe at some stage people might get together and actually do somthing to move the county on. Been left behind by liam mccarthy counties and Sam mc. No guarantee Offaly will win mcdonagh cup either.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

No excuses we are not at the level plain and simple, we don’t have 30 quality players that are at the level required. In fairness the lads gave us great hope at the start of the league and battled hard for first two championship games. No shame in defeat, we are where we are.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

No argument. We are where we are. 15 years of underage neglect is the reason, not todays or this years effort which was great after last few years. Well done to players and management on that front. Hope all stay on and add to current set up.

We are not that far ahead of westmeath laoise carlow or antrim so we could be down for a while yet
jimbob

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

We are were we are, we all remember the glory days from the 90s but apart from a couple of games we have been way off the pace recently. These good games maybe 6-7 years ago when we scored all the goals against kk and then gave Waterford a game in the backdoor, since then we have lost to westmeath, Laois and in fairness we deserve to be competing with these teams than the elite. Will we beat these teams easy next year probably not but in fairness with Kevin Martin no one would do a better job, let's hope all players commit for next year and we get a good generation coming up so we can play catch up.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Really disappointing ending for players and management. It really looked like progress was being made, but 4 championship matches in 22days was just too big of an ask. It’s tough to drop out but we are not close to the top 4 in Leinster, but dropping down is not going to help us get closer. It’s a ridiculous scenario by the GAA why do they need to cut the numbers playing at the top level. Leave the Munster championship the way it is, that’s providing great entertainment but change the Leinster model.

My proposal would be take top 3 teams from JMD cup and put them into Leinster champ. So you have 8 teams competing. Maybe 2 groups of 4 with two Leinster finalists from previous year heading each group. 3 games each with top team in each group into Leinster final. 2nd place in each group playoff to see who progresses to AI q/f. 3rd teams save, year over. Bottom teams relegation play off. Example of groups:

Galway. Kilkenny
Wexford. Dublin
Offaly. Westmeath
Carlow. Antrim

Weaker teams are playing against each other but also get to test themselves against the elite and it can only bring them on as well and every now and again we might get a shock result.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Totally disagree with above post. Offaly are not even close to liam mccarthy standard. Need to go down, and get confidence in playing teams of the same standard. Getting hammered does not bring on a team. Tommy Walsh spoke about his own club getting relegated to intermediate after years of barely surving senior. Hurling now is thriving within his club because they now win matches and are playing teams of same standard.
Enough of the self pity, deal with the real issues. Start doing things differently than other counties, a little outside the box thinking. Offaly as a small county should in theory be able to bring in structures and ideas that could benefit the county.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

We are now at the level where we are at can anyone honestly say we will win the McDonagh cup next year for me both the county board and players lack ambition

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I have to say that I thought Ger Loughnane made some good points on the Sunday Game about Offaly getting relegated and what our attitude towards it should be. For 2019 the main thing we have lost is the ability to play in the Leinster Championship. There is an argument to make that playing in Leinster should be a right, not a privilege, but it has always been a tiered championship with lots of teams not at the level to compete for it (well for as long as I am watching hurling anyway).

Offaly need to treat 2019 as a chance to win a Championship, which we haven't done in over 20 years. We need to treat it as a chance to get to a further stage in the Championship than we have in a long time... once step away from an AI 1/4 final. We also need to treat next year as a chance to play 5 competitive games that we have a chance of winning each of them. We need to use 2019 to continue to develop players and develop a deeper squad.

The choice is ours how we want to proceed. I, for one, hope we use it as an opportunity to come back stronger. Let's see how we choose to react.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

ai agree totally with the above.if we win the mcdonagh cup next year were back up.so its shit or get off the pot time next year. i wouldnt be loughnannes greatest fan but he talked a lot of sense last night. the apparent unfairness about leinster/munster relegation etc is another issue.but all the teams in munster are very closely matched as looking at the table will show. and theres a certain logic in not relegating any of them as long as they stay competitive.? lets do the nescessary next year and hopefully offaly hurling will be all the better for it.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Time will tell whether or not going down would be advantageous to us, I suppose we might judge a bit from how the winners of this years MCDonagh Cup get on in the All Ireland quarter final against higher opposition. It’s funny how Leinster got shit on in terms of a team getting relegated and Munster didn’t. Would it not improve and promote the game if a team got relegated from both Munster and Leinster. Let the winners and runner up get promoted! I also feel aggrieved for the Leinster teams not just Offaly in terms of our involvement in Leinster championship, Galway walk in and will never be relegated from Leinster and it was just accepted from the teams in Leinster, I’m not blaming Galway but would they be welcome in Munster like this and would any of the teams be ok with relegation from the so called holy grail of a championship, me thinks not!!