Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

Post by biffinbanner »

fact is brian gavin got stephen wallace sacked. no question about it. a lily livered county board seccumbed to pressure. if he was good enough last week in the circumstances he found himself in he was this week. and good luck to finding some manager out there with a career death wish.. maybe ringing any of misters cribbin coffey mcdonnell or flanagan might be a wise move before they agree..

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

One wonders, where would we be with Flanagan, had the board not removed him?
Good Luck

faithfulman1982
Junior C

Post by faithfulman1982 »

It’s really is a disgrace that radio 3 let gave Brian Gavin free reign to say what what he wanted. We are the laughing stock of the country for getting rid of another manager. We have history now doing this. At some stage the footballers have to realise the mayne they’re just not good enough. I have also noticed that Alan McNamee has since deleted his Twitter account which is interesting. Also, before he deleted I noticed a lot of the panel who liked what he put up had since in liked it. Hard to believe that a county which such a glorious Gaa history has fallen so much. No local man will touch this job and would you blame them!?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote:
allstar2010 wrote:So, who’s going down to pick up his car??? :D
Thought the same myself. Any takers?
Did ye see the bit on the news, the cheeky f*cker was driving his car! VW and all!
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

azoffaly wrote:
The Biff wrote:This does not inspire me with confidence.
http://www.the42.ie/offaly-football-ste ... 8-May2018/
"Vinnie Murphy and Niall Hobbert, joint managers of St Peregrine’s club in Dublin, were contacted this morning about their interest. ...."
That would not make a lot of sense, unless there is some notion that maybe Paul Mollen and/or one of the other lads on the current setup would stay on. Why would you go looking for an ex-teammate and friend of the man you just got rid of? Even the optics of it would look weird.
I see that Murphy liked a tweet from Conor Mortimer telling him not to take the job.
Will O’Callaghan seems convinced on Twitter that there’s a few more names being weighed up.
Good Luck

faithfulman1982
Junior C

Post by faithfulman1982 »

It’s really is a disgrace that Brian Gavin was allowed to say what he wanted on numberous radio stations. We are the laughing stock of the country for getting rid of another manager. We have history now doing this. At some stage the footballers have to realise the mayne they’re just not good enough. I have also noticed that Super has since deleted his Twitter account which is interesting as this was the famous tweet which contributed to Wallace going. Also, before he deleted it I noticed a lot of the panel who liked what he put up had since unliked it. To me it’s like the players are trying to reflect any blame from them which would make sense with that statement they released last night. Hard to believe that a county which such a glorious history has fallen so much. No local man will touch this job and would you blame them!?

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

i dont blame wallace one bit.he was wronged by unfounded srorys. hes right to fight for his good name.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I'm getting a sense that the tide has turned on this alright. It's beginning to look and sound like there were some unhappy campers, but by and large the players were happy enough. Decisions on the day were strange, as I said at the time, but that's hardly a sacking offence. I think the board had made up their mind that first chance they got, he was gone, and when a slight gap was there, they took a Brian Gavin sized crowbar to it and widened the Jaysus out of it.

The County Board's history in this area is also a factor, and I still believe this whole period of instability goes back to an insane decision in 2003 to get rid of Paul O'Kelly. Guess who was chairman then too?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

i think most genuine supporters remember the paul o kelly sacking as one of the lowest points in the history of offaly gaa. a lot of things happen during a game and some changes work some dont.the rory mcnamee sean pender and nigel dunne issues have been explained,genuinely to my thinking. when we win all the bad things are forgotten about. remember late on in 82 final when one of our forwards kicked away a ball straight to a kerry man under no pressure?!?! luckily nothing came of it. and it was all ok as we won...!if we played wicklow(no disrespect to them) 20 times we would beat them 19.this was the 20th. its a shambles now and the media are lapping it up.offaly football is a subject of ridicule. again..sadly..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Let's call spade a spade. Some people have lot to answer for. Wasn't ideal Wallace was suspended but there are bigger influencers in this whole debacle and a blind man could see who and what they were. The names might be different but the theme is the same from previous fall outs! Just a Shame that bunch of young inexperienced footballers are caught in the middle of it.
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Tommy Byrne should step down immediately or be removed just like Boland before him he has en ego and is on a power trip in his role. Jackass!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think it's fair to say that there are a lot of people that come out of this with their reputation(s) damaged. However can I just pose the following questions?

(1) Is it so unreasonable to look at what Stephen Wallace did in that video and say that if it is confirmed that he was the person who threw that punch, that he's not fit to manage a county team? By no stretch of the imagination was that a "heat of the moment" punch. The man in the clip had no altercation with he guy he hit, and blindsided his victim.

(2) If you feel that a dismissal is a reasonable response to the above, then surely it follows that you have to wait until the disciplinary process is complete to act? After all, Stephen Wallace is supposed to have assured Tommy Byrne that he would get off any punishment here. The Offaly CB could hardly let him go before a final determination of guilt was made.

(3) If that finding was made at the weekend, then surely this week is the time to let him go?

(4) Moreover, regardless of guilt or innocence, Wallace is suspended for twelve weeks - i.e. the full championship. If nothing else, surely the match on Sunday proves that not having a manager isn't going to work - a new man must step in?

(5) Finally, Tommy Byrne is not good at interviews - however the crux of his points on the radio seemed to me to be that (i) the Offaly CB couldn't act until the disciplinary process was complete, (ii) the players' letter (which is either unanimous, or the act of a small group, depending on who you listen to) was not factored into the equation, so players were not part of the reason why Wallace was either hired, retained or fired, (iii) that he won't be stepping down just because a management appointment went badly, even though he accepts the buck stops with him. I can't disagree with any of that - am I alone?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.