Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

Post by Truth as i see it »

private joker wrote:Don't know about all the praise for the mgt. Are they there long enough to have such an impact. Also lost to Clare who are hardly a football county.
Like Clare lost by 22 points to Kerry. So , yeah let mgt stay on but the jury is still out on this group of players.
Bigger picture stuff, time to have a tiered structure for football. Kerry, Donegal and Dublin winning handy finals. Not good viewing for anyone.
Just on the same topic but slightly to the side if that makes any sense, with all due respect JK i think your missing the bigger picture yourself, i think the bigger picture is to make the senior team an aspiration for the younger generation coming through, up to now it was always on the Minor and U-21s as it was throughout the last 10-15 years to raise the standards at senior level because senior level was generally either poorly managed, in a state of flux or just generally directionless and when you add in the fact that the players were poorly coached throughout that time period, there really was nothing for the younger brigade to aspire to, (that's not a knock on the players or coaches who i am sure put in the same effort as any team in the county but to be fair we didn't reach division 4 for no reason)

The fact that the supporters are responding to this team shows that they recognize the level of belief that the players now have in themselves and they are now setting the standard for themselves because they now have back not only their self belief but possibly their self respect as football players and that is down to the manager in my opinion

The players have always had pride that they are playing for Offaly i'm sure but maybe they just needed to be reminded of that and now you are seeing the response, ok they didn't win on Sunday but they put in a performance that we can be proud of and now the younger generation coming through at U-20s and minor level can look at that and say yeah these are guys that i want to play with and will fight in the trenches with me when the going gets tough and that to me at least is the bigger picture, you couldn't always say that about an Offaly football side.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Confirmed reports: Rouse was at the game last night. And was seen engaging in conversation with Tommy Byrne.
So he obviously wasn’t an ordinary spectator.
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

LooseCannon wrote:Confirmed reports: Rouse was at the game last night. And was seen engaging in conversation with Tommy Byrne.
So he obviously wasn’t an ordinary spectator.
John Rouse was at the U20 game, and he was speaking with Tommy Byrne at the Arden Road end. Not sure if the manager's job was discussed there.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Paul Rouse was 2 cars behind Tommy Byrne at the McDonald's drive thru yesterday.
I couldn't see what they ordered though.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Has McDonald’s re-opened?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote:Has McDonald’s re-opened?
Oh BnM man, he got you on that one
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It was at Kilmartin's in Athlone.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
It was at Kilmartin's in Athlone.
Maybe Rouse has had his chips?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Heard the news on RTE Sport. Any thoughts on the next manager, who will be the 4th in a little over a year?.