Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers Championship Thread

Post by LooseCannon »

Wallace is currently on Off The Ball AM. It’ll be on YouTube later.
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Jesus this opens a big can of worms, especially after letter from players. Heads have to roll.
jimbob

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

I'm not buying this nonsensical statement from the players.. it seems merely a ploy to cover their own backs and deflect blame towards the county board.. I counted 11/12 of this panel who liked Alan McNamee's tweet, condemning Stephen Wallace.. how many of these were signatories to last nights statement? Our county board may often be a shambles, but it's hard to lay all the blame for this at their doorstep.. Hopefully we can now do the talking in the qualifiers and stop this downward spiral our county football team is entangled in

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

So, who’s going down to pick up his car??? :D

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

In fairness to the county board lads (and I would be first to criticize), the facts are fairly clear:

1. Wallace is suspended from all team activity for 12 weeks including training during the most important part of the season.
2. Plenty of the current players liking tweets criticizing the management.
3. From what I have heard last night not all players were there last night..Nigel Dunne, Michael Brazil and Paul McConway(left before training) were not there.
4. That letter was not supported by all players.
5. We were abysmal in the league.
6. We lost to the team ranked number 32 in Ireland last Sunday
7. Wallace was called out on a number these of issues on Off The Ball AM this morning, his responses would not inspire you.

His position is untenable..end of.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Mrbrightside wrote:I'm not buying this nonsensical statement from the players.. it seems merely a ploy to cover their own backs and deflect blame towards the county board.. I counted 11/12 of this panel who liked Alan McNamee's tweet, condemning Stephen Wallace.. how many of these were signatories to last nights statement? Our county board may often be a shambles, but it's hard to lay all the blame for this at their doorstep.. Hopefully we can now do the talking in the qualifiers and stop this downward spiral our county football team is entangled in
Yes, we can take the letter with a hint of scepticism given that it looked like Stephen Wallace was already half way out the door.

I heard Tommy Byrne on Off the Ball. He came across somewhat evasive which gave the interviewers plenty of twine to pull at.
He should have just said that after Wallace got suspended they had reservations about his ability to carry out the role while under sanction. They gave him the beneift of the doubt, but the Wicklow game confirmed it wasn't a workable arrangment.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Mrbrightside wrote:I'm not buying this nonsensical statement from the players.. it seems merely a ploy to cover their own backs and deflect blame towards the county board.. I counted 11/12 of this panel who liked Alan McNamee's tweet, condemning Stephen Wallace.. how many of these were signatories to last nights statement? Our county board may often be a shambles, but it's hard to lay all the blame for this at their doorstep.. Hopefully we can now do the talking in the qualifiers and stop this downward spiral our county football team is entangled in
Yes, we can take the letter with a hint of scepticism given that it looked like Stephen Wallace was already half way out the door.

I heard Tommy Byrne on Off the Ball. He came across somewhat evasive which gave the interviewers plenty of twine to pull at.
He should have just said that after Wallace got suspended they had reservations about his ability to carry out the role while under sanction. They gave him the beneift of the doubt, but the Wicklow game confirmed it wasn't a workable arrangment.
Which is probably the truth!
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Ah what’s going on at all? The man who said Offaly football was in crisis has not said a word since Monday. As a recent poster said on this, all of the interviews Mr Gavin has given since Sunday have all had different answers. Who is actually telling the truth here? Nigel Dunne says he was on the team bus whereas Brian Gavin says he was out in his car? Someone is telling lies and I’m beyond confused what to believe after reading everything from Brian Gavin to Nigel Dunne to Stephen Wallace and finally Tommy Byrne. If we had beaten Wicklow this would have never happened and Tommy Byrne didn’t confirm it on radio this morning but how could he considering he sacked the gaffer. My believe is Wallace would still be in a job had we beaten Wicklow and his ban would have been swept under the carpet.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Was Brian Gavin commentating on Sunday's match himself? If so, then he could hardly have been near the dressing room at half-time in order to see Nigel Dunne heading out. If Brian got his info second-hand, then it's easy to see a sort-of "Chinese Whispers" situation arise, with someone seeing something and then talking it up on a re-telling. However a good reporter/journalist should be able to see through this if it happens. I dont know what happened, but the one publication that seems to carry most reliability in all this is Nigel Dunne's tweet about himself.

It's a mess. Offaly GAA is an embarrassment at the moment, from the County Board to the former Football Manager to the Senior Football team (for the way they played out last Sunday). If we manage to get a lucky home draw for the Qualifiers Round 1, how many people do you think will go to Tullamore to pay money to watch?

Thank God for the Hurlers. If their worst fears should pan-out and they finish bottom of the Leinster group, how much sympathy can we expect from others if we try to fight off THAT potential relegation? :cry:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

allstar2010 wrote:So, who’s going down to pick up his car??? :D
Thought the same myself. Any takers?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://youtu.be/HNkTm8m9raE
Wallace on Off The Ball AM this morning.
Good Luck

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

This does not inspire me with confidence.
http://www.the42.ie/offaly-football-ste ... 8-May2018/
"Vinnie Murphy and Niall Hobbert, joint managers of St Peregrine’s club in Dublin, were contacted this morning about their interest. ...."
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://youtu.be/BB--y-1m_1k

Mr Byrne’s response
Good Luck

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

The Biff wrote:This does not inspire me with confidence.
http://www.the42.ie/offaly-football-ste ... 8-May2018/
"Vinnie Murphy and Niall Hobbert, joint managers of St Peregrine’s club in Dublin, were contacted this morning about their interest. ...."
That would not make a lot of sense, unless there is some notion that maybe Paul Mollen and/or one of the other lads on the current setup would stay on. Why would you go looking for an ex-teammate and friend of the man you just got rid of? Even the optics of it would look weird.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.