Offaly GAA Website

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
feirmeoir
Intermediate

Offaly GAA Website

Post by feirmeoir »

Did anyone notice that all the results are not being recorded on the Offaly GAA website. Last year was excellent but this year the website seems not to be updated

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly GAA Website

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

They are updated, up to and including several of yesterday's U13 football results.

In looking at the Servasport site. Something like people.gaa.ie/Offaly
(Not beimg technical, I can't do a link off the phone, if I get to a computer later I will post a link.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

I saw on facebook that Rhode beat Shamrocks in the minor league last night (Friday) but not appearing on Offaly GAA website ....

But you are right the result is coming up on people GAA Offaly so will look there for all results

The Offaly GAA website must not e properly linked up with that site

Thanks

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Would our PRO or whoever is responsible fix the website in terms of results and league and championship tables. Stop putting Graham Guilfoyle up as the image for team announcements. Official twitter Match updates periodic and not giving any player scores, subs etc. It’s a mess and shameful compared to any other county in Ireland. All small things but so simple to get right and get we can’t

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

NewEra wrote:Would our PRO or whoever is responsible fix the website in terms of results and league and championship tables. Stop putting Graham Guilfoyle up as the image for team announcements. Official twitter Match updates periodic and not giving any player scores, subs etc. It’s a mess and shameful compared to any other county in Ireland. All small things but so simple to get right and get we can’t

It’s f*cking ridiculous. Celtic Challenge game now in Birr @5.(nothing against Birr on this one, greenairfield)
So minor @1 in OCP Saturday
CC in SBP @5 Saturday
U20s Sunday morning @11. Cheers LS for clearing that one up.
But regardless of the change for the 20s match, the Hurling should be a double header. One at 1 and other at 3, or 3&5.
It’s administration in general.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:
NewEra wrote:Would our PRO or whoever is responsible fix the website in terms of results and league and championship tables. Stop putting Graham Guilfoyle up as the image for team announcements. Official twitter Match updates periodic and not giving any player scores, subs etc. It’s a mess and shameful compared to any other county in Ireland. All small things but so simple to get right and get we can’t

It’s f*cking ridiculous. Celtic Challenge game now in Birr @5.(nothing against Birr on this one, greenairfield)
CC in SBP @5 Saturday
But regardless of the change for the 20s match, the Hurling should be a double header. One at 1 and other at 3, or 3&5.
The minor hurling is now on Sunday @ 1pm in OCP
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:

CC in SBP @5 Saturday
The minor hurling is now on Sunday @ 1pm in OCP
Now it’s changed back to Saturday.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bejaysus, they actually listened. It’s Alan Mulhall now.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There's a couple of things here, which I think need to be said in relation to the website and related matters.

(1) With regard to the updating of match results, that's done through servasport, and the result is updated when the relevant referee does so. Nobody else posts up results, because by definition, everybody else is getting it second hand. So this is not the PRO's gig.

(2) The picture issue is annoying, but I would imagine that there might be only a limited number of pictures uploaded within the site, and if it's the GAA website template I'm aware of, it just pulls pictures out of a limited database. This probably could be fixed by someone who had the time and know how to do it, but let's not forget here that the head of the IT committee recently resigned, I haven't heard of a replacement, and the PRO is very new to the job. I don't think anyone would argue that this should be a priority issue.

(3) This is an issue of taste. I find the likes of the Wexford and Wicklow twitter feeds very amusing, but again, not everyone is in a position to do that. LAst game I was at in Tullamore, Mary was selling tickets for a fundraising draw, helping out in the media area, and dealing with other issues not related to the game that was on. I'm not going to lose sleep if she doesn't take the time out to list every scorer. After all, it's easy to miss one (particularly in hurling) if you're multitasking something else, and better not to list any than to list one wrong, when it's an official account. I've seen other PRO's at games and they're doing nothing but updating social media and watching the match. Offaly doesn't have the depth of people to have that luxury - which leads me back to the old chestnut of if you think you can do better....

(4) The minor hurling has always been Saturday at 1. Has never moved. The confusion over the Leinster U20 game was from a Leinster email, the info from Offaly was accurate.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote:There's a couple of things here, which I think need to be said in relation to the website and related matters.

(1) With regard to the updating of match results, that's done through servasport, and the result is updated when the relevant referee does so. Nobody else posts up results, because by definition, everybody else is getting it second hand. So this is not the PRO's gig.

(2) The picture issue is annoying, but I would imagine that there might be only a limited number of pictures uploaded within the site, and if it's the GAA website template I'm aware of, it just pulls pictures out of a limited database. This probably could be fixed by someone who had the time and know how to do it, but let's not forget here that the head of the IT committee recently resigned, I haven't heard of a replacement, and the PRO is very new to the job. I don't think anyone would argue that this should be a priority issue.

(3) This is an issue of taste. I find the likes of the Wexford and Wicklow twitter feeds very amusing, but again, not everyone is in a position to do that. LAst game I was at in Tullamore, Mary was selling tickets for a fundraising draw, helping out in the media area, and dealing with other issues not related to the game that was on. I'm not going to lose sleep if she doesn't take the time out to list every scorer. After all, it's easy to miss one (particularly in hurling) if you're multitasking something else, and better not to list any than to list one wrong, when it's an official account. I've seen other PRO's at games and they're doing nothing but updating social media and watching the match. Offaly doesn't have the depth of people to have that luxury - which leads me back to the old chestnut of if you think you can do better....

(4) The minor hurling has always been Saturday at 1. Has never moved. The confusion over the Leinster U20 game was from a Leinster email, the info from Offaly was accurate.
I saw it earlier on on either the Offaly updates or Express that it was changed. That’s why I put it up, but when it was clarified, I came on immediately to correct it, by saying that it was at the original time. Pity that there isn’t a double header for the hurling matches. Oh well. I’ll only end up going to the 20s match. I’d go to the Hurling if it was a double header. Pity.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

LooseCannon wrote:
I saw it earlier on on either the Offaly updates or Express that it was changed. That’s why I put it up, but when it was clarified, I came on immediately to correct it, by saying that it was at the original time. Pity that there isn’t a double header for the hurling matches. Oh well. I’ll only end up going to the 20s match. I’d go to the Hurling if it was a double header. Pity.
It's natural that these things will spread. I got the same Leinster GAA email that those sites did, so no fault to them or you for sharing. It is a pity, but given three circumstances of the switch, it had to be Sunday.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:
It's natural that these things will spread. I got the same Leinster GAA email that those sites did, so no fault to them or you for sharing. It is a pity, but given three circumstances of the switch, it had to be Sunday.
I’ve zero issue with the football being changed. I forgot about the tragedy when I asked the question.
Hurling should be a double header in either SBP or OCP tomorrow.

I’d also like to add that I’ve retracted my piss-up in a brewery comments. I was completely in the wrong. It must have been an error on Offaly Updates or the Offaly Expresses’ part.
Good Luck

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Overall think the website is ok, other years remember coming home from games and scores being updated nearly straight away. One thing I would like is that the subs be mentioned, the main websites usually just do the 1-15 but it's good to know who are we depending on to change the game and what clubs they are from, the clubs are more for minors, U20s.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Buttons wrote:Overall think the website is ok, other years remember coming home from games and scores being updated nearly straight away. 2 One thing I would like is that the subs be mentioned, the main websites usually just do the 1-15 but it's good to know who are we depending on to change the game and 1 what clubs they are from, the clubs are more for minors, U20s.
To be fair, they put down players’ actual clubs, eg Ballycommon as opposed to St Vincent’s.
Even for the hurling, they put down players’ actual clubs, eg Shannonbridge, even though they don’t hurl.
And also Ferbane as opposed to Belmont, as Ferbane is the young lad’s club…

Definitely.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Buttons wrote:Overall think the website is ok, other years remember coming home from games and scores being updated nearly straight away. One thing I would like is that the subs be mentioned, the main websites usually just do the 1-15 but it's good to know who are we depending on to change the game and what clubs they are from, the clubs are more for minors, U20s.
Just on this, I too am very interested in numbers 16 to 26, or 16 to 24 for minor teams, but it could be argued that this is where you really give information away, so it's understandable that management are reluctant to name this. As long as the eleven subs are un-named, managers can still spring a surprise - but once the 26 is named, that can't be changed.

So for example, if Paul Rouse names his 26 for the Clare game and Peter Cunningham is not on it, then Colm Collins can move on, knowing that the Bracknagh man is not going to feature. If he names 15 and Cunningham's not there, Collins has to respect the threat that Cunningham might line out wearing number 25, and he has to honour that threat and prepare for it.

Why would you give away that information if you don't have to, and certainly why would you do it if there's any uncertainty over your team? It's different if everybody knows your best 15 and you don't have any surprises to spring, but that's only the case with very settled teams, or ones with very few options.