Offaly GAA Website

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Offaly GAA Website

Post by Buttons »

Lone Shark wrote:
Buttons wrote:Overall think the website is ok, other years remember coming home from games and scores being updated nearly straight away. One thing I would like is that the subs be mentioned, the main websites usually just do the 1-15 but it's good to know who are we depending on to change the game and what clubs they are from, the clubs are more for minors, U20s.
Just on this, I too am very interested in numbers 16 to 26, or 16 to 24 for minor teams, but it could be argued that this is where you really give information away, so it's understandable that management are reluctant to name this. As long as the eleven subs are un-named, managers can still spring a surprise - but once the 26 is named, that can't be changed.

So for example, if Paul Rouse names his 26 for the Clare game and Peter Cunningham is not on it, then Colm Collins can move on, knowing that the Bracknagh man is not going to feature. If he names 15 and Cunningham's not there, Collins has to respect the threat that Cunningham might line out wearing number 25, and he has to honour that threat and prepare for it.

Why would you give away that information if you don't have to, and certainly why would you do it if there's any uncertainty over your team? It's different if everybody knows your best 15 and you don't have any surprises to spring, but that's only the case with very settled teams, or ones with very few options.
What is the procedure for announcing county teams in terms of do you just have to announce the starting team and what is the time frame before the game is played. Can you change any members as McStay would usually announce team very early in the week but if a flu/ virus went through squad would they be depleted.
My understanding was you announced the squad 24/48 hours before the game and that was that you couldn't change.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

You have to file the official 26 to the GAA by lunchtime on Thursday (I think?) but what you release to the media is neither subject to rule nor is it remotely binding.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'm not having a go at you here, and I recognise everyone has a different way of operating their own social media. Personally, I'd be slow enough to post anything I wasn't sure of myself. And personally I wouldn't count those two sources you state below (who I think are just serial retweeters) as being the most reliable.

Like, a few years ago, someone posted here a few days before a big match that an Offaly player (he named him, too, which was worse) was gravely ill in hospital. And it wasn't a bug he had, he reported it was MS or Meningitis or something that serious. Anyway, it turned out it was a hoax and the player played, and played well. Now, regardless of whether the posted made it up, or heard it when he was doing his shopping, to post it up was a terrible thing to do.

I realise there is a world of difference between that and getting the starting time of a match wrong, but fake news isn't confined to American politics.
LooseCannon wrote:I saw it earlier on on either the Offaly updates or Express that it was changed. That’s why I put it up, but when it was clarified, I came on immediately to correct it, by saying that it was at the original time. Pity that there isn’t a double header for the hurling matches. Oh well. I’ll only end up going to the 20s match. I’d go to the Hurling if it was a double header. Pity.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'm not having a go at you here, and I recognise everyone has a different way of operating their own social media. Personally, I'd be slow enough to post anything I wasn't sure of myself. And personally I wouldn't count those two sources you state below (who I think are just serial retweeters) as being the most reliable.

Like, a few years ago, someone posted here a few days before a big match that an Offaly player (he named him, too, which was worse) was gravely ill in hospital. And it wasn't a bug he had, he reported it was MS or Meningitis or something that serious. Anyway, it turned out it was a hoax and the player played, and played well. Now, regardless of whether the posted made it up, or heard it when he was doing his shopping, to post it up was a terrible thing to do.

I realise there is a world of difference between that and getting the starting time of a match wrong, but fake news isn't confined to American politics.
LooseCannon wrote:I saw it earlier on on either the Offaly updates or Express that it was changed. That’s why I put it up, but when it was clarified, I came on immediately to correct it, by saying that it was at the original time. Pity that there isn’t a double header for the hurling matches. Oh well. I’ll only end up going to the 20s match. I’d go to the Hurling if it was a double header. Pity.
With all the varying times and dates thrown around, I presumed that the info would be reliable. A complete lack of judgment on my behalf. Both sources are dodgy at the best of times. The Express said that the u20s game was on Saturday @11 as well! Look, it’s never my intention to spread false info, far from it. I just said I’d put it up as soon as possible so that A: I’d forget to put it up, and B: to inform people earlier so that more people may have seen it.
It wasn’t my intention at all to deceive, etc
I apologise to anyone who this false information that I relayed may have deceived.
Good Luck