Coláiste Choilm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mrbrightside
Junior A

Coláiste Choilm

Post by Mrbrightside »

Huge congrats to the Tullamore school on a superb win today! I'd have loved to be attendance as I have a nephew on the team, but work commitments curtailed my hopes.
A fantastic year for the boys, with today's win over a Derry outfit preceded by wins over Galway, Kilkenny, Dublin, Wexford, Kildare and Westmeath sides. Interestingly, their only competitive defeat came in a comprehensive defeat by Banagher College, another Offaly side!
The future of Offaly hurling is certainly bright!

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Re: Coláiste Choilm

Post by summerindublin »

congrats, great win

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Another unwelcome consequence of taking hurling out of Birr!

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Belated congratulations to Colaiste Choilm. A magnificent achievement for the school and the local area. Well done to all. Hopefully an Offaly U17 and U20 team can be built around this group of players.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

There is no u20 still u21. Be hardly much for u17 maybe one or two, when this an eighteen and a half grade competition. The Banagher team that beat them originally made up of mainly galway players. Congrats to them nonetheless.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

shannonbanks14 wrote:There is no u20 still u21. Be hardly much for u17 maybe one or two, when this an eighteen and a half grade competition. The Banagher team that beat them originally made up of mainly galway players. Congrats to them nonetheless.
Sure a couple of the Galway boys could play for St Rynaghs anyway!

If you know what I mean. :wink:
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

A great win for them.

What standard is this team at towards other counties ?

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

shannonbanks14 wrote:There is no u20 still u21. Be hardly much for u17 maybe one or two, when this an eighteen and a half grade competition. The Banagher team that beat them originally made up of mainly galway players. Congrats to them nonetheless.
How come Football has U17 and U20 level at intercounty level but hurling doesn’t?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

NewEra wrote:
How come Football has U17 and U20 level at intercounty level but hurling doesn’t?
Hurling has u17 and u21 at level. It will have u20 from next year on at intercounty level thanks to none other than our own county board!

I looked into it actually, and have found that less players were doing Leaving Cert at minor (u18) and u21, than are currently, under the u17 and u20 in football. I think that they should revert back to the previous age grades.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Also, I forgot to say well done to Coláiste Choilm.
Good Luck

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

Hi Congrats to an excellent performance from Coláiste Choilm. It just shows what an excellent and experience management team and a group of young and talented players can achieve. By the way is there any truth in the rumour that young Carrol got supended from the u20 foothball squad . Seeming he was waterboy all season with the school team and he wanted to attend this All Ireland final. It look like the u20 management did not allow him to go and he went anyway and got supended. the u20 had a challenge game organised for the same day as the final . carroll was told he would not be asked to play in this game as management stated they would not be playing any players that would be playing in the u20 semi finals in Tullamore on Bank hol monday. Can anyone confirm if this is true.

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

Congrats to Colaiste Choilm on a superb display. Well done to all the lads and excellent and experienced management team. Just shows what can be done when you have the right people involved . Is there any truth in the rumour that young carroll got suspended from the offaly u20 foothball panel. He seemly asked to be allowed to go to the All Ireland schools match as he had been waterboy all year and did not want to miss this school big day. the u20 management would not allow him to go to the school match because the u20 footballers had a challenge game organised for the same day. Carrol was told that he would not be asked to play in the challenge game as management had stated that they would not be playing any player that would be playing in the u20 semi finals on bank hol monday. Can anybody confirm if this is true

Mrbrightside
Junior A

Post by Mrbrightside »

If I remember information I got a while back correctly, Banagher team was made up of:
6 Rynaghs
4 Eyrecourt
2 Lusmagh
1 Belmont
1 Drumcullen
1 Kiltormer

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Correct me if I am wrong but Are we getting a little carried away with this col choilm success?

While it's fantastic and well done to all concerned, the fact is that they should be strongest hurling school in County given feeder clubs.

Bal Durrow won last two minors and na fianna won before that. They also take from Tullamore who are strong at u16 and some from shamrocks and Clara in an all boys school. Maybe I am wrong but have they not under performed for donkeys years, primarily in football as an all boys school of around 600 boys?

While they have done great this year and it is to be welcomed, it should be no surprise. As the strong hurling school in County now, should they not be looking to play A grade. Teams they beat along the way have been up at A level the last few years with much smaller school population. Portumna been one case in point and they'd also be mixed school. COL Eoin were also up there until recently.

Gallen have won consistently in B football over last number of years and never got the same type of acclaim but have done it consistently to degree that they should also be in A in football.

We should be pushing schools to compete at levels which they're capable. Westmeath have 4 or 5 schools regularly compete at A level in football. Marist, Moate, Rochfortbridge and sometimes a Mullingar school or athlone community college.

This is where we fall down in Offaly. We need to have the schools act as almost a mini centre of excellence if we are to get up and running again.
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Wouldn't say they are the strongest team St.Brendans will always be that because of the teams they have to pick from.