Newspaper Articles and other media bits

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Newspaper Articles

Post by Bord na Mona man »

For the last decade, the two biggest fundraising drives (or drains) have been the O'Connor Park redevelopment and Faithful Fields.
For that decade Offaly were playing catch up on infrastructure deficits that built up during the golden era.

Now that these have settled down, it will be interesting to see how fundraising for the day-to-day bills fares.
I assume that businesses and benefactors are more generous in supporting capital investment projects that leave a legacy, as opposed to funding normal expenses - boots, bags, jersies, travel expenses.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport ... nging.html

This guy is getting a bit too big for his boots. Who is he?
Good Luck

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

LooseCannon wrote:https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport ... nging.html

Apart from.ignoring good performances in 2011 and 2012 I would have to agree with what he is saying. I find it embarrassing how people are saying we should not be relegated. We have been nowhere good enough the last 5 years to justify our status as a top tier hurling county. I do feel we may have turned a corner this year but only time will tell. It's up to us to pull ourselves back up through the current system, not a boardroom decision to save us.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Big for his boots??? He’s only telling it as it is to be far.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don't know if he is big for his boots, but certainly he is no friend of Offaly hurling. He proved that last year with his horrendous piece prior to the Westmeath match when he offered Westmeath every motivation they could possibly hope for. But it was that Westmeath piece which brought him to a wider audience, and increased his clicks beyond anything he could have hoped for.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport ... itter.html

Multiple basic mistakes.
Regan wasn’t involved in ‘98 and Kerry cannot win the Joe McDonagh Cup.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It's a nothing article.
It would be a shock if Kerry won the Joe mc, because they can't. Also who cares how many all ireland s Regan won? Winning an all ireland should not be the sole measure of a person

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote:It's a nothing article.
It would be a shock if Kerry won the Joe mc, because they can't. Also who cares how many all ireland s Regan won? Winning an all ireland should not be the sole measure of a person
Oh, that’s not the point, I’d agree with you on that(bit in bold). My point is that it’s bullsh*t journalism, with false information.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What bothers me is that he copied and pasted a few tweets. A proper journalist would have made a phone call, turned on the recorder and got a few quotes first hand.

It's an odd way to do business. Another thing about that site is, let's say there is a hurricane coming and the entire country is in it's path. The OE's headline will be 'Offaly going to be ravaged by a hurricane'. Er, what about everywhere else?
LooseCannon wrote:https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport ... itter.html

Multiple basic mistakes.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:What bothers me is that he copied and pasted a few tweets. A proper journalist would have made a phone call, turned on the recorder and got a few quotes first hand.

It's an odd way to do business. Another thing about that site is, let's say there is a hurricane coming and the entire country is in it's path. The OE's headline will be 'Offaly going to be ravaged by a hurricane'. Er, what about everywhere else?
LooseCannon wrote:https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport ... itter.html

Multiple basic mistakes.
To be fair to the OE, they're not alone in that - the "local angle on national story" thing is around for quite a while. There's an old yarn, it may be true but equally I suspect it may not be, that after the Titanic sank, the Aberdeen Press and Journal ran the story on the front page, with the heading "Aberdeen man drowns".

But yes, there's no excuse for not following up the story properly - except that the business model on those sites is having 15-20 pieces per day, so that means that you're allocating (at best) 20 minutes to each one. No time for a phone call in there.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Regan a bluffer tryin ta spin literally any shite to stay relevant. Has about as much street cred in hurlin circles as Peter Pan.While his old school buddies were winnin club all irelands he was hurlin with Crinkle havin won half the amount the other Birr lads did, and fair play to them. He was well known for goin on the beer before matches and off it afterwards.
Sad really he has to spout negatitive shite most of the time to feel he's a somebody and god help us he's not the only one spoutin it on twitter. But a fine one to be talkin indeed.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The basic premise of the piece is flawed anyway. Of course the Offaly county board has form for taking odd decisions, and any democratic process can never be presumed to be a guaranteed win, but I would be genuinely stunned if the same management team wasn't asked to return en masse.

It's far more likely that Paul Rouse himself looks at the situation and decides that he's not in a position to do it to the very high standards he would set for himself. After all, he has a lecturing job in UCD, and while it's not as simple as saying that he has very little to do when the undergrads are away in the summer, it's fair to say he's a lot quieter than he would be in October or November, when he'd be getting preparations for 2019 underway. This came up at the perfect time for him.

Like most Offaly supporters, I truly hope he does stay on for another year at the very least. It would be a huge boost to everyone - but if it doesn't happen, I'll be amazed if it's the county board that say no.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.