Newspaper Articles and other media bits

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Newspaper Articles

Post by Killeighman »

Admission to league games set to increase to €20: GAA fans attending games in this year's Allianz League will have to dig deeper into their pockets as a €5 increase in the cost of admission is on the way. dlvr.it/QwxtNv

Madness, League games should be €10 and €15 for a double header. This is scandalous. Soon the league will be the same price as championship tickets.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The piece that POTH put together a bit over a year ago now.
Here goes . . . I don’t have the 2016 census figures, so it’s based on the 2011 census which is unlikely to be materially different.

Moneygall (in Tipperary for the GAA): Cullenwaine 703, Templeharry 210, Barna 156, Dunkerrin 359. TOTAL 1,428

Shinrone: Shinrone 965, Cangort 213, Ballincor 160. TOTAL 1,338

Ballyskenagh-Killavilla: Mountheaton 673, Gorteen 297. TOTAL 970

Coolderry: Ettagh 490, Kilcolman 380, Aghancon 374. TOTAL 1,244

Birr: Birr urban 4,447

Crinkill: Birr rural 1,371

Seir Kieran: Seir Kieran 492

(where does Dromoyle (327) fit in?)

Kinnitty: Kinnitty 531, Letter 172, Tulla 91, Roscomroe 149 TOTAL 943

Drumcullen: Drumcullen 357, Knockbarron 173, Killyon 284, Eglish 145 TOTAL 959

Lusmagh: Lusmagh 544, and part of Mounterin (about a quarter 60) TOTAL 600 approx

St Rynagh’s: Banagher 2,001, Shannon Harbour 336, Cloghan 981, Gallen 576, the larger part of Mounterin 192. TOTAL 4,086

(where does Derryad (247) fit in?)

Ferbane-Belmont: Huntston 346, Lumcloon 360, Moyclare 622, Ferbane 1,215, Lea 367. TOTAL 2,910

Shannonbridge: Shannonbridge 299, Clonmacnois 336. TOTAL 635

Kilcormac-Killoughey: Kilcormac 1,306, Broughal 119, Derrinboy 293, Killooly 271, Killoughey 653, Rathrobin 403. TOTAL 3,045

Doon: Hinds 310, Doon 432. TOTAL 742

Ballycumber & Erin Rovers combined (hard to split these): Ballycumber 736, Srah 733 COMBINED 1,469

Tubber: Tinamuck 260

(Kilcumreragh (522) and maybe Gorteen (359) look to be Horseleap, what’s the story here?)

Clara: Clara 3,913

Shamrocks: Rahan 721, Screggan 1,460, Bawn 379. TOTAL 2,560 plus some of Tullamore Rural

Ballinamere: Silverbrook 730

Durrow: Durrow 737

Tullamore: Tullamore Urban 11,375

(I suspect Tullamore rural (3,034) is Shamrocks but someone might have an opinion on this?)

Clodiagh Gaels: Killeigh 1,256

Cappincur: Cappincur 1,490

Ballycommon: Ballycommon 561

(is Tinnycross (458) Ballycommon or perhaps Cappincur?)

KIlclonfert: KIlclonfert 364

Daingean: Daingean 1,438

St Brigid’s: Croghan 524

Rhode: Ballyburley 1,325, Ballymacwilliam 643. TOTAL 1,968

Clonmore Harps: Clonmore 419, Knockdrin 189. TOTAL 608

Edenderry-Ballyfore: (given the apparent arrangement between these two, I am combining them) Edenderry Urban 6,486, Edenderry Rural 855, Monasteroris 826, Esker
394, Mountbriscoe 252. TOTAL 8,813

Clonbullogue: Clonbullogue 744.

Bracknagh: Bracknagh 1,012

Walsh Island: (possibly part of one or both of the above)

Gracefield: Portarlington north 2,372, Hammerlane 565. TOTAL 2,937

Ballinagar: (hard to tell how much of Geashill is involved here)

Raheen: remainder of Geashill 1,632, Cloneygowan 528, O’Dempsey 146, Ballyshear 377, Rathfeston 436, Ballaghassaan 47, Raheenakeeran 427. TOTAL 3,593

I don’t have a Tipperary list to check the populations of Riverstown, Carrig and Clonaskin LEAs.
It’s quite clear that some clubs should compete on their own, be it at B or C level, while some arrangements should be changed, taking into account the numbers, as well as success at underage.

I’ll put up a list later on of what I think that the changes to arrangements made should be, in order to maximise playing numbers from every club in the county.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Have all adult clubs listed that put a team in the championship this year.

Clonbullogue and Ballyfore: St Patrick’s

Clonmore Harps and St Brigid’s: St Michael’s

Rhode: Rhode

Edenderry: Edenderry

Bracknagh and Walsh Island: St Broughan’s
(Clonbullogue could stay and Ballyfore could join St Michael’s, which would depend on numbers. But I do believe that Ballyfore should be independent of Edenderry at all levels, despite being in the same parish)

Gracefield: Gracefield

Raheen: Raheen

Clodiagh Gaels and Ballinagar: Na Fianna
(I’m aware that they don’t share a land border)

Daingean: Daingean

Cappincur, Ballycommon and Kilclonfert: St Colman’s
(It could work out better if Kilclonfert are with Daingean, with Cappincur and Ballycommon joining up)

Tullamore: Tullamore

Durrow: Ballinamere-Durrow

Shamrocks: Shamrocks

Clara: Clara

Ballycumber and Tubber: St Manchan’s

Doon and Erin Rovers: St Colm’s or alternatively DER Gaels

Kilcormac-Killoughey: Kilcormac-Killoughey (possibly with Drumcullen as Na Piarsaigh, or something similar)

Ferbane-Belmont: Ferbane-Belmont

St Rynagh’s, Shannonbridge and Lusmagh: Shannon Gaels or alternatively St Ciarán’s
(I understand that they have more numbers statistically than Ferbane-Belmont. However, the fact that hurling is completely dominant in Banagher, as it is in Lusmagh, would ultimately mean less players than a Ferbane-Belmont combination with permission players from Shannonbridge. Lusmagh may provide one or two a year, but it would not be too much of a significant figure to make the combination bigger than Ferbane-Belmont.)

Kinnitty, Drumcullen and Birr: South Offaly Gaels or alternatively St Brendan’s (I’m aware that St Rynagh’s had permission players playing on the u13 A championship winning team and panel from other clubs in south Offaly. Not sure on the accuracy of the quote from the paper, but the individual quoted mentioned Birr, Carrig and Riverstown, Ballyskenagh-Killavilla, Kinnitty, and I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think he said Drumcullen as well. There is plenty of young players from south Offaly that want to play football. They should be let do so. Ideally, in a few years time, let Birr on their own, with the clubs around continuing on the combination in their absence.)

From an objective point of view, I believe that the above will help to not only increase participation, but it will also massively help with the retention of players.

Obviously, where possible, clubs should try to have their own teams up to U9 and U11 if possible. It won’t always be able to happen, but the appropriate combinations can be brought in at those levels.

With that, it should be emphasised that entering a “B” competition is not the end of the world, and that in the event of a year where combinations would run tight on numbers, 13 a side must be tolerated in a “C” competition for instance, or perhaps leave the “B” competition at 13 a side.

Just my thoughts on how we can increase players playing, ultimately leading to the betterment of Offaly football as a county, but also for the betterment of clubs, particularly the smaller, rural ones such as Clonmore, Brigid’s, Doon, etc.

Hopefully the county board will be proactive in actually trying to change the status quo, for the better. The very fact that they had a meeting on it is a very positive sign, showing us that they’re committed to bettering football within the county.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I see that Paul Rouse was giving a talk this evening in Ballyboden St Enda’s GAA on Twitter. He was talking about the GAA in Dublin and its future as part of the club’s fiftieth anniversary celebrations.

I think that it would be a fantastic idea if the county board commissioned him to draw up a plan for the future of Offaly GAA on the whole. Not just football, not just hurling, but both. His infectious passion for the GAA, in my opinion has to be tapped into. What’s more is that he’d be willing to do it. He’s willing to help Offaly GAA in anyway he can. As a historian, his attention to detail would be second to none, with no stone left unturned. There may have been many plans before, but none would be as detailed, yet as broad as this. His strategic foresight needs to be tapped for the good of Offaly GAA.

The last sentence is a slightly altered quote from someone on Twitter, at the talk.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Implement the plans that were put out before!!! Another plan, no matter the detail is useless unless there are people to drive it on. Get people who have the foresight to do somthing for Offaly in place before talking about another plan. Paul Rouse as chairman would be far better.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fully agree Joker. There is a plan - whatever that is - I haven't seen it or is it available online? If its an active plan, everyone should know it is there and what it entails. What exactly from the plan is currently being implemented?

There are some excellent people in Offaly that have been involved previously and no longer involved! You have to ask why? If the why is not resolved then we need to look at what county board are doing - do they have the capability to bring people with them? If not, they should be asking themselves if they are acting in the best interests of Offaly GAA or are they on a mission to satisfy personal ambition - politically or otherwise?

We have struggled to get selectors for senior teams on numerous occasions over last number of years for God sake. If it were any other county, people would bite your hand off to be involved at that level!

Paul Rouse is a good fella no doubt but he is based in Dublin and hadn't the time to manage senior team. There are very very able people in the county who would be willing, if the circumstances were right, to drive Offaly forward! Unfortunately, for many, the circumstances just aren't right.
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

jimbob17 wrote:Fully agree Joker. There is a plan - whatever that is - I haven't seen it or is it available online? If its an active plan, everyone should know it is there and what it entails. What exactly from the plan is currently being implemented?

There are some excellent people in Offaly that have been involved previously and no longer involved! You have to ask why? If the why is not resolved then we need to look at what county board are doing - do they have the capability to bring people with them? If not, they should be asking themselves if they are acting in the best interests of Offaly GAA or are they on a mission to satisfy personal ambition - politically or otherwise?

We have struggled to get selectors for senior teams on numerous occasions over last number of years for God sake. If it were any other county, people would bite your hand off to be involved at that level!

Paul Rouse is a good fella no doubt but he is based in Dublin and hadn't the time to manage senior team. There are very very able people in the county who would be willing, if the circumstances were right, to drive Offaly forward! Unfortunately, for many, the circumstances just aren't right.
I know one thing for certain. There is no plan that takes both codes into account. There was a hurling one, which I believe joined Pat Flanagan’s football one on a dusty shelf in Tullamore.
If we’re to make any progress going forward, we need a coordinated plan taking both codes into account. In the grander scheme of things, we’re a small enough county for one code, let alone two. We need the maximum number of people playing football and hurling in the county.

Hurling needs to appear in Edenderry. I see that Rodge Hanlon has permission to play with Tullamore. Getting hurling going in East/North Offaly will be imperative to any success we may ever have.

Likewise in football, it needs to be developed in South Offaly.

Traditional areas or not, we need the maximum amount of players possible. It can only be a good thing.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many people who have Offaly’s best interests at heart and would love to drive Offaly forward.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-ho ... th-hurling

I know that we’ve heard more or less the same things so many times now. Around the hour mark.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Newspaper Articles and other media bits

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Still worth a listen. Plunkett particularly, he knows how detrimental it is to a county when they become irrelevant.
LooseCannon wrote:https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-ho ... th-hurling

I know that we’ve heard more or less the same things so many times now. Around the hour mark.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-ho ... th-hurling

Carroll makes a very good point about each club putting their own house in order. There is no magic wand out their to fix the county as a whole and no one plan that will do it either. Also we simply don't have the people. We are struggling for volunteers. There are nobody putting their name forward at our county conventions year in year out and we are reliant on the same few people to simply keep the gates open and the county teams just about functioning. Bigmouths like Regan and Duignan have had the last 15 years to show leadership and put themselves forward to be chairman and try and sort things out......but of course they never did and never will because deep down their main interest is collecting fees for media work.
Each club must stand up and put the necessary structures in place to get as many children hurling and get the best potential out of them, there's no other way.

Cheddar made one particularly sobering remark when he told Carroll that things are likely to get a lot worse before they better for Offaly. I can see where he's coming from.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

John Maughan interview on sports joe gaa hour , talks about the long drive to training making it an 8 hour shift by the time he gets home and how he hates the drive very worrying for his future in the job in the coming years, also about Niall mcnamee return and about how he signed the contract and his hands are tied on the Johnson situation

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-ho ... -our-games

Around 26 and a half minutes in. You just have to love the way he says gymnasium!
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://youtu.be/uHvxOshsmOA

Just a few minutes. From around 27 minutes in.
Good Luck

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

LooseCannon wrote:https://youtu.be/uHvxOshsmOA

Just a few minutes. From around 27 minutes in.
No end of the potential talk on this topic.

As a side note, Interesting how Regan is regularly noted as the one who predicted that we'd be just about where we are now (don't think it was noted on this show, but in many others).

Too bad he didn't join this board. He could made his point about 3 years earlier.

Problem is - would it have done any good anyway?

Given the screwup with 'the plan' and all I would not be too confident.

Like it or not, if we can get a full commitment for the McDonagh Cup, it should be very competitive.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.