Senior A Football 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will win the Senior A football championship?

Rhode
52%
Clara
No votes
Gracefield
4%
Ferbane
26%
Edenderry
11%
Tullamore
4%
Cappincur
4%
Durrow
No votes

Total votes: 27

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Senior A Football 2018

Post by LooseCannon »

Clara v Cappincur - Clara
Tullamore v Ferbane - Tullamore
Edenderry v Gracefield - Edenderry
Rhode v Durrow - Rhode
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Edenderry 2-16 Gracefield 3-11
Clara 1-09 Cappincur 1-07
Good Luck

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

By all accounts Cappincur absolutely threw this one away at the end. Couldn't kick a point from 20 yards several times.
Looks like Rhode V Tullamore, not much else shining?

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Rhode 2-08 Ferbane 0-14, could not make this match, relied on twitter, Rhode goaled early, Ferbane took control and led by 0-10 to 1-03 at half time, Rhode reined them back and let by 1 in injury time and Ferbane equalised, any comments from people that were at it.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Draw for 2018 Leinster club SFC: It seems a very good draw for Offaly Champs as you avoid Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Laois until the final, see draw below:

First round
Wexford v Meath
Westmeath v Kildare
Wicklow v Offaly

Quarter-finals
Wexford or Meath v Dublin
Westmeath or Kildare v Laois
Wicklow or Offaly v Longford
Louth v Carlow

Semi-finals
Wexford or Meath or Dublin v Westmeath or Kildare or Laois
Wicklow or Offaly or Longford v Louth or Carlow

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Another potential Leinster final for Rhode to loose :cry: :cry:

Away to Wicklow champions in the first round would be a tough task.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kaiserchief wrote: Away to Wicklow champions in the first round would be a tough task.
Rathnew at home to Rhode (or any other Offaly team for that matter) would be favourites. But if an Offaly team managed to come through that, a run of two home games against opponents from Longford/Louth/Carlow is as good as you can hope for. Though no doubt the clubs from those counties are equally pleased.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Cappincur
Tullamore
Clara
Rhode
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Top scorers after round 5

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Joe Maher 4-31
Niall McNamee 2-30
Cian Johnson 4-18
Peter Daly 3-21
Anton Sullivan 4-15
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

A goal straight from the throw in put Cappincur in control against Durrow, if they were more clinical they could have added 2 or 3 more to the two goals they did score. Durrow were very poor and need to refocus or could end up like st rynaghs and be relegated again. Over the course of the championship cappincur were competitive and deserved to maintain their senior status.
One point of note was the pitch in o connor park, very difficult to bounce the ball and looked like a lot of sand put down.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who is winning these at the weekend?
For me, Rhode and ferbane

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Watched today with interest. Ferbane finished strong but Clara in control for long stages. Generally thought not whole lot between them.

Second game I felt Tullamore were better team and threw it away as they didnt know how to win as well as Rhode did. Thought Rhode were very negative and Im not so sure I would enjoy playing such a brand of football. In fact id go as far as saying that Offaly have no reason to fear Westmeath next year if that is what Jack Cooney brings to table with them! Rhode were poor despite winning but i think they are capable of a lot more and wont go anywhere in Leinster if they beat Ferbane and that is the way they play.

Tullamore on other hand moved it well generally but didnt take chances in second half when they came. In fact I was surprised how dominant Tullamore were in general play and was very impressed with their tackling in general. Their county senior lads stood up and thought Nigel Bracken was very good too with young lad Leavy also showing well. Surprised to see Shane Kelly going off as I felt he was going well. All in all a solid team performance.

The finishing power of Rhode with the two McNamee's goals was the only difference between them. If Tullamore had Niall Mac, they win by 5 or 6!

Ferbane if they back themselves and go at them are more than capable of winning final!
jimbob

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

Just curious was the Tom Furlong (I think that was his first name ) who was introduced as a sub for Tullamore any relation of Martin Furlong. There was also a Plunkett on the Tullamore subs , is he a son of Ger Plunkett who played with Tullamore a few years ago or is he a son of Mark Plunkett. Maybe hes a different Plunkett

FaithfulFacts
Junior C

Post by FaithfulFacts »

Jimbob first let me thank you, reading your very out of touch comments on here for the last while encouraged me to sign up.

First the constant slating you have done, on this and other threads, of any manager or management group that employs a modern responsible game-plan. If you want to live in an old idealistic footballing world good for you. But (and I speak from hands on experience) playing 15 on 15 all offensive football will get you beaten in any senior or county game. Hard work beats talent when talent stops working. Its a fact of football today. Sure we can talk about changing the rules to open the game up again, but that is a different thread.

Secondly to say Tullamore dominated that game is very misleading. Rhode missed 2 one on one chances ( Ncnamee and Darby) that on another day would be scored. I agree Tullamore were right in the mix and Maloney scored some beautiful points. But despite that and in my opinion a few harsh calls from the ref, Rhode never looked to be panicking.

Lastly Jimbob, Niall Mcnamee was very good again today ( A true oldschool talent) but to say that with him Tullamore win by 5 or 6 again shows to me how little you really know about modern football. Niall had a few important possessions but in general Paul McConway had his usual very good game on him. Id say Niall touched the ball half his normal amount for a senior championship game.

This was a battling team win for Rhode! Now I am really looking forward to Ferbane having a right good go at them. Ferbane are no doubt the coming force and have no shortage of inspiration after the way 2016 and 2017 finished for them. If a few things go differently they could be going for 3 in a row themselves.

TrueBlue1
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by TrueBlue1 »

Tom Furlong is a grandson of Martin Furlong (son of Ken).
Luke Plunkett is a son of Mark.