Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by greenairfield »

If I was a Rynaghs man I would not be shouting form the roof top over the victory yesterday from start to finish the match was awful so so scrappy.
The only time Rynaghs hurled was when shinrone brought it back level in the second half and they were able to push on.
Shinrone again were showed up to what they really are which isn't much.
You would imagine from here on in Rynaghs would push on but they still have to improve a bit to win a county final.
I fancy them beating Coolderry or Kilkormac in a semi final though so it should be interesting to see how things work out

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Big win for Belmont, birr have really slipped in recent years.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote:Big win for Belmont, birr have really slipped in recent years.
Kieran Pat Kelly handed it to them.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

What sort of stupid statement is that we are still competing at the same level for the last 5 or 6 years.

We beat Banagher a few weeks ago who I think will win the county final and we should of won today and that's with hurling shocking.

But anyway well done to Belmont if you don't take your chances you don't win.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Bit upset so with the defeat!!
Birr have gone from winning counties, to competing in semis to now not making it beyond Q Finals. Have now lost to a team that will now spend the next week getting ready for football. They are slipping.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

They were in a county final two years ago and lost to the finalists last year by a point in the Qfs..that's Hardly slipping there problem is they can't get over the line.

If you had of said they were slipping 8 years ago id agree but they are performing at the same level since.

Poor standard in the championship this year no stand out team I think Rynaghs will it because they have a good backline but we will see.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Am I right in saying 2008 was last time Birr won it?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Yes correct,

Have been beaten in a few finals since then.

They were not that far away this year , but they are so inconsistent which could kill any team.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Birr are just not winning county finals now, it happens all great teams, they go into decline somewhat, other good players will come up but balance wise they just may not be upto winning a county final. championship very up and down this year, Coolderry have been probably the most consistent team over all, KK and Rynaghs are stuttering along, but getting there, unless they are holding something in reserve, which I don't think many teams do, you go out to play your best and win. Big win for Belmont, interesting to see how things pan out for them against Coolderry, who will note the defeat of Birr, but I would think Coolderry would not have feared Birr winning the QF, so cant see them being terribly afraid of Belmont, but its knock out and Belmont will be looking to go a step further than last year and reach a final, there anything might happen. Rynaghs and KK will probably be a ding dong battle, my earlier posts of Rynaghs not scoring goals is telling me that if KK can get a goal in this game (it will be hard agains the Rynanghs defence however) a goal will be a major score in this game, if Rynaghs hit the net (once or even twice) in this game then it would be a surprise but might propel them to win...unfortunately, whoever wins Offaly will hopefully give the Leinster a club a good go and not just be satisfied to have won the county final, in fairness KK and Coolderry have given it a real shot in recent years when they came out...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Are there any fixtures yet for semi finals in hurling championships? Are they going ahead on weekend 22nd/23rd September?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

K/K v Banagher on Saturday week in OCP

Belmont v Coolderry on Sunday week in SBP

Both games preceded by Intermediate semi - finals.

Senior B semis are a double header in OCP on Sunday.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I see that. i can only speculate the Senior A semi-finals are split up with each semi played with the Intermediate semi-finals owing to St Rynagh's and Kilcormac's involvement on both.

Also, the late throw-in times for the Senior A semi-finals is brow raising (both at 4.45pm). I wonder is this to do with the sharing of radio coverage with the neighbours to the north and south?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Delighted to get a semi final back in Birr, a huge success for the new delegates that came into the club about 4 years ago.

well done!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I suppose there’s no chance if Coolderry and Banagher win their semi-finals they would make a joint request to have the county final in Birr?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

To be fair to Birr, that's their third successive championship exit in a knockout game that could easily have went the other way. And that's something that can be more difficult to identify and fix than a big defeat. I thought all along last Sunday that Birr were going to hold on for the win but they were hit with a late sucker punch. Oisín Kelly actually fumbled David Kenny's delivery, David Cox lost his marker and raced through. Sliding doors moments. I thought Paul Cleary was doing good work at centre half-forward, and should have been left there, while the defence looked secure.

Meanwhile, Birr's Intermediates are accumulating big scores, 2-24 against Clareen in the group, 0-27 against Clara, 1-30 against B-K, so there is a bit of depth there. Is there anyone on that team who could help the Seniors compile a winning total?
greenairfield wrote:Yes correct,

Have been beaten in a few finals since then.

They were not that far away this year , but they are so inconsistent which could kill any team.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.