Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

allstar2010
All Star

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by allstar2010 »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Coolderry by skin of their teeth. Rynaghs will bt kk n win co final.
Ye’ll win nothing :D :D

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Big win for KK. Seen them now 3 times and they look really solid.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Kk totally dominant throughout and should have been further ahead in last few mins when it got tight. 2 missed frees / 65s right in front of posts for rynaghs could have changed it at end but would be totally undeserved. Treacy kept them in it too with excellent display from frees outside of last few minutes.

Rynaghs barely scored from play and had no threat whatsoever. Their forwards and midfield were totally outplayed and the movement they became known for a few years ago was non existent. Strange move playing Conneely in backs and Shortt in forwards I thought. KK won all the 50 50 balls and showed way more hunger when it counted. Ger Healion and few more older lads very cool and excellent at end of game when it mattered. Kiely gets hard time at times in local media. He was outstanding in second half for me!

From what I saw KK were 6 or 8 points a better side, full value for win and brought experience off the bench too. Very disappointing from a so called "talented" St Rynaghs squad that failed to challenge for most part and have gone back a good bit from few years ago!
jimbob

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

jimbob17 wrote:Kk totally dominant throughout and should have been further ahead in last few mins when it got tight. 2 missed frees / 65s right in front of posts for rynaghs could have changed it at end but would be totally undeserved. Treacy kept them in it too with excellent display from frees outside of last few minutes.

Rynaghs barely scored from play and had no threat whatsoever. Their forwards and midfield were totally outplayed and the movement they became known for a few years ago was non existent. Strange move playing Conneely in backs and Shortt in forwards I thought. KK won all the 50 50 balls and showed way more hunger when it counted. Ger Healion and few more older lads very cool and excellent at end of game when it mattered. Kiely gets hard time at times in local media. He was outstanding in second half for me!

From what I saw KK were 6 or 8 points a better side, full value for win and brought experience off the bench too. Very disappointing from a so called "talented" St Rynaghs squad that failed to challenge for most part and have gone back a good bit from few years ago!
Prob have to agree with most of that. Rynaghs were bad, but will be back. Poor start cost Belmont today, bit of excitement in it anyway in fairness.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Rynanghs lack of natural forwards caught up with them yet again, and not for the first time...they have no "out and out" scorer...Treacy from frees is all very well, most teams now have at least one/two good free takers...Treacy took a hit on Saturday and after being down for sometime had to get up and take the free himself which he missed!!..cannot understand how some other player cannot take the free in such cases..KK are a good side, they have a constant will to win which is something Rynaghs appear to lack, no urgency, no kick on after the goal for Rynaghs etc...the best team won hands down..the team that wanted to win won....Rynaghs not winning any ball at midfield brought out Ben Conneely who was holding his own with Killian Kiely...Kiely got around 3 points soon after Coneely left him..Rynaghs are carrying a lot of players by the looks of it.. one thing noticeable with them over the last couple of years is one lad starts one week, hurls bad replaced by fellah who does "OK"...start him the next week and he is taken off and replaced by player he replaced last week..there is no grabbing the chance and nailing down the place for a reasonable period of time or number games...Belmont cannot expect to start games like that and expect to win, not withstanding they could have drawn in the end, Brian Carroll did appear to take a belt or something which affected him a lot, and maybe this is why Belmont got back so much into the game...lost track of who was marking who at the end but Coolderry needed someone to mark Oisin Kelly at the death, and appeared very unsure as to who to assign to him..going 12 down is a ferocious start, but fair dues to Belmont, they won the second half 2-09 to 1-05 (15pts to 8) having been 3-07 to 1-06 (16pts to 9)..if one or two of the other Belmont forwards got a grip on their men Belmont could have got the draw they probably deserved..interesting to see how Coolderry play in the final against KK..they were on the ropes today and KK wont make any mistakes if they get the chance...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

KK v St Rynaghs
KK totally dominant with phenomenal work-rate which led to numerous turnovers. KK's ability to tackle hard without conceding frees was noteworthy. KK's desire to win was ultimately the difference along with St Rynaghs inability to score from play.
Hard to see KK being bet in a county final based on this performance.

Belmont v Coolderry
A strange game with Coolderry looking to be out of sight on a number of occasions but failure to find anyone to mark Oisin Kelly resulted in an exciting finish which could have gone either way. Coolderry will need to tighten up at the back as KK will have a more even spread of scorers than Belmont.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Correct me if I am wrong but when Rynaghs were winning their championship they had almost a fully different front 6 than that which started the other day bar Ronan Hughes who was only barely making team back then as a young player?

Back then the forwards would have included Gary Conneely (wing back saturay), Steven Wynne (MIDFIELD), Stephen Quirke (sub) as definite starters and then 2 from Paul Quirke (sub), Niall Wynne (sub), Ger Rafferty (retired), Matthew Moloney (sub?) and Joseph O Connor (midfield).

There was no reason to reinvent the wheel but putting Dermot Shortt in the forwards to me was bizarre to say the least. A great defender but not good with his back to goal and seemed lost and at sea throughout. The Rynaghs forwards the last day looked like they had little or no understanding and seemed like they never played together before.
jimbob

Blueblue10
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by Blueblue10 »

What were the 2 attendances over the weekend the atmosphere in birr yesterday was unreal the best I’ve seen at a semi final in about 12 years and a big crowd too..if I was to guess there was just over 1,000 in ocp with 2 matches being played and 2700 in birr with 1 match on

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

We don't need to derail this thread into yet another venue debate, but just to put the facts out there:

(1) The attendance in Tullamore was well over 2,000, it was around that number by the time I left the press box (I was writing on the first game) to go over and watch the second game on the terrace with a friend of mine. I'd guess around 2,400 was the final total. On average we've seen Birr get around a 10% boost for broadly comparable games, so that would appear to be what we were looking at here yet again.
(2) Yes there were two games, but there were only three clubs - how many supporters do you honestly think would have come in to see the KK intermediates, but wouldn't have bothered to go if it was just their seniors playing? Possibly a few Mammies and girlfriends of players would be the height of it. They're the only extras that the KK intermediates brought in. And while Clara would have a small but devoted hurling support, most of those people are the committed type that would have gone to Tullamore for the KK vs Rynaghs game as a standalone anyway.
(3) When they used to play two quarter-final double headers, one in Tullamore and one in Birr, there was one year when Birr were given the Saturday games, and Tullamore got the Sunday ones, and got a bigger crowd. At the time, Birr advocates argued that Saturday was a work day, and that it wasn't fair to compare the two. I think that was exaggerated at the time - more people work Saturdays than Sundays, but not a lot more - so it is a small factor. However if it was an excuse when Birr was getting the lower crowd on the Saturday, it can't suddenly be irrelevant when Tullamore gets the slightly lower crowd on the same day. Albeit that was probably balanced out a fraction by the fact that while all four clubs would be quite well supported, if a neutral had to pick one game, they probably would have attended the Saturday fixture.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

LS, are you on the sauce? normally you are so articulate but what are you trying to convey above? totally confused!!!

Blueblue10
Junior C

Post by Blueblue10 »

Lone Shark wrote:We don't need to derail this thread into yet another venue debate, but just to put the facts out there:

(1) The attendance in Tullamore was well over 2,000, it was around that number by the time I left the press box (I was writing on the first game) to go over and watch the second game on the terrace with a friend of mine. I'd guess around 2,400 was the final total. On average we've seen Birr get around a 10% boost for broadly comparable games, so that would appear to be what we were looking at here yet again.
(2) Yes there were two games, but there were only three clubs - how many supporters do you honestly think would have come in to see the KK intermediates, but wouldn't have bothered to go if it was just their seniors playing? Possibly a few Mammies and girlfriends of players would be the height of it. They're the only extras that the KK intermediates brought in. And while Clara would have a small but devoted hurling support, most of those people are the committed type that would have gone to Tullamore for the KK vs Rynaghs game as a standalone anyway.
(3) When they used to play two quarter-final double headers, one in Tullamore and one in Birr, there was one year when Birr were given the Saturday games, and Tullamore got the Sunday ones, and got a bigger crowd. At the time, Birr advocates argued that Saturday was a work day, and that it wasn't fair to compare the two. I think that was exaggerate
Unread postby Lone Shark » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm
We don't need to derail this thread into yet another venue debate, but just to put the facts out there:

(3) When they used to play two quarter-final double headers, one in Tullamore and one in Birr, there was one year when Birr were given the Saturday games, and Tullamore got the Sunday ones, and got a bigger crowd. At the time, Birr advocates argued that Saturday was a work day, and that it wasn't fair to compare the two. I think that was exaggerated at the time - more people work Saturdays than Sundays, but not a lot more - so it is a small factor. However if it was an excuse when Birr was getting the lower crowd on the Saturday, it can't suddenly be irrelevant when Tullamore gets the slightly lower crowd on the same day. Albeit that was probably balanced out a fraction by the fact that while all four clubs would be quite well supported, if a neutral had to pick one game, they probably would have attended the Saturday fixture.d at the time - more people work Saturdays than Sundays, but not a lot more - so it is a small factor. However if it was an excuse when Birr was getting the lower crowd on the Saturday, it can't suddenly be irrelevant when Tullamore gets the slightly lower crowd on the same day. Albeit that was probably balanced out a fraction by the fact that while all four clubs would be quite well supported, if a neutral had to pick one game, they probably would have attended the Saturday fixture.
You start this off stating you were going to put a few facts out there I didn’t see any but if your going to do a whole propaganda thing here on ocp I wud say the second game in birr would have brought and where from 500-1,000 extra..if your going to use the word facts please put in some the next time.i don’t know who you are but I was trying to state something positive but you have tried to turn it into a negative

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

LS how much do the county board pay you for been number 1 supporter of OCP?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

This again? Grass in Tullamore is a green as in birr.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

now it has gone to SBP v OCP...post derailed!

Blueblue10
Junior C

Post by Blueblue10 »

private joker wrote:This again? Grass in Tullamore is a green as in birr.
Are you smoking grass who said anything about grass