Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Fixtures people need to clarify their schedule for quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals, in football and hurling.
Teams need to know if they have a three or four or five week gap between round 7 and the semi-finals so they can make the necessary plans.
That also goes for the timespan between round 7 and quarter-finals, which may be one week, or two, or three.
This needs to be done straight away.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

One would hope that at least the Management and players of teams know the system/format/timeframe for the quarter/semi finals, I agree its unfair if they don't, one thing us the supporters not knowing but as you say players & management not known would be poor...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A few thoughts before the evening.

St Rynagh's need to win; Coolderry are already through and don't need to win. St Rynagh's had a big setback in their last match (against Birr). That being the case, Rynaghs minds should be much more focussed, and Rynagh's should win with something to spare.

iKIlcormac will in all likelihood beat Kinnitty. KIlcormac will be physically too strong, and their ceiling is much higher than Kinnitty's. That, and it's 2006 since KInnity last beat their neighbours to the north.

Seir KIeran don't enjoy a good record against Birr, having beaten the town boys only once since 1995's semi-final. That was the 2014 quarter-final. The Clareen men are struggling for for,, struggling to put a run together. Other hand, Birr were impressive last time out. Birr to win.

Shinrone are good on paper between positions 5 and 9. Their full-back line lacks something, and Belmont carry a goalscoring threat. Other hand, the match is in Birr, where Belmont don't do so well. Belmont to score at least two goals and prevail.

So Coolderry and St Rynagh's will advance to the semi-finals. Kilcormac and Birr will face Shinrone and Belmont respectively. (Quite likely KIlcormac (who have a six points lead on Birr in scoring difference) will face the loser of Belmont v Shinrone.)

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Hats off to Coolderry they really have been the form team in the group stage of the championship. To think that many people would have had them struggling to stay up they really have lit it up. Joachim doing a super job keeping all those lads on board, flying fit and hungry for more silverware.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Congrats to Coolderry and KK on qualifying directly for the semi finals. The direct route will suit both teams and both will be hard bet when the semi finals come around.

I expect St Rynaghs and Birr to come through the quarter finals which should make for 2 good semi finals.

Hopefully the CB will release dates for quarter and semi finals shortly to enable teams to plan accordingly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

think its St. Rynaghs V Shinrone and Birr V Belmont, Shinrone will be very tricky for Rynaghs, while most will expect St. Rynaghs to come through, one just cannot nail down the outcome of that game, Shinrone will be satisfied knowing they can be in Semi Final if they could get over Rynaghs and that would be good years work for them. They are returing good tallies in all games so if they get a few early breaks and take them it will be all to play for in that game... Birr, at knock out end of things will be hard to beat, and while Belmonts have the capability and the players, they just dont seem to be able to put it together consistently as a a team, losing to Shinrone in the manner they did is not amunition to be approaching a knockout quarter final with any team, let alone Birr. Birr have blown hot and cold also but its now knock out so there is woeful fight in Birr and while the will be wary of Belmont, they mentally will know they should be able to beat them and that along with a crack at a semifinal will be the desire they need to see off Belmont, not sure what way it goes there after as regards the draw for the semi-finals, Coolderry and KK will be waiting to see what happens in these Qf's...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

There have been several references to the quarter-finals being in a fortnight's time. Where are people getting this? It it confirmed, or is it merely an assumption?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Unfortunately was unable to attend any of last weekend’s games. I saw St Rynagh’s v Coolderry on Offaly GAA TV, and noticed that it didn’t show the foul that resulted in the penalty.
I was chatting men from both clubs and was told that the penalty was given for nothing and that Coolderry didn’t even appeal for one.

I hope that it wasn’t edited out to spare one’s blushes. It was supposedly a howler of a call.
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There have been several references to the quarter-finals being in a fortnight's time. Where are people getting this? It it confirmed, or is it merely an assumption?
Heard rumour that quarter finals are a double header in OCP on Sunday week but no official confirmation yet.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Don't think that is true.

Most likely split up the quater finals with the Senior B and have it as a double header.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I heard from a Gael that Lusmagh and Clodiagh Gaels in the Senior B Quarter Final is fixed for Sunday the 9th in OCP

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Reading between the lines of what I'm hearing locally and what's been posted here, it looks like the quarter finals are as follows:-

St Rynagh's v Shinrone in Birr on Saturday 8th, preceded by Drumcullen v Shamrocks in the Senior B quarter final; and
Belmont v Birr somewhere (likely in Tullamore) on Sunday 9th, preceded by Lusmagh v Killeigh in the Senior B quarter final.

I stress this is my best guess at the moment, and this is in no way confirmed.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Yeah that's what I have heard also

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Belmont V Birr in Tullamore?..not sure what both clubs would think of that, Ide say Belmont would be happy to play that in Birr/Rath/Banagher...long way to Tullamore only for one Senior A QF...

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Fairplayalways wrote:Belmont V Birr in Tullamore?..not sure what both clubs would think of that, Ide say Belmont would be happy to play that in Birr/Rath/Banagher...long way to Tullamore only for one Senior A QF...
Can't imagine they'd be happy to play in Birr, whatever about the other two. And I can't see either Rath or Banagher taking the crowd for a double header like that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.