Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by greenairfield »

It has been a great championship so far....
The winners Coolderry and Rynaghs
The losers Belmont Birr Clareen and possibly kk to a certain extend.
I think it will be Belmont and Kinnity who lose out on a qf place but saying that all teams bar Coolderry have been shakey at certain stages during the chamionsship. Most people felt Coolderry would be in bother at the start of the year they but they have a very solid settled team now.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Maybe not this year, not with a possibility of being paired with Kilcormac in a quarter-final. And there'd be a one in three chance of drawing the other automatic semi-finalist in the semi-final.
frankthetank wrote: I’d nearly take my chances in the Quarters!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Things will be much clearer after penultimate round of fixtures this weekend.

KK v Shinrone - KK by 6 points which will guarantee them place in knockout stages
Coolderry v Kinnity - last chance saloon for Kinnity, they have a decent record over Coolderry and with Coolderry already assured of place in knockout stage I will go with Kinnity by 2 points
Belmont v Seir Kieran - game of the weekend, vital for both teams - I will go with Seir Kieran by 4 points
Birr v St Rynaghs - St Rynaghs by 5 points

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone (Saturday in Banagher at 7:15) - Shinrone to the best of my knowledge have a decent recent record against Kilcormac / Killoughey if you take last year's Q-Final capitulation in OCP out of the equation. However as POTH stated a few days ago they have only won 1 match out of 5 this year. K/K while down some big guns are coming into this game knowing a win guarantees knockout hurling and I expect them to get it leaving Shinrone looking over their shoulder going into the last round of fixtures, particularly if Kinnitty can sneak a win over Coolderry

Coolderry vs Kinnitty - (Sunday in Birr at Noon) Great campaign by Coolderry so far to be fair. With Joachim having taken over it isn't exactly ground hurling but there's a directness and simplicity to their game and it's suiting them. The half back line and midfield are really solid and Brian Carroll and Kevin Connolly are really sharp in the corners. Guranteed a place in the knockouts, a win on Sunday would give them a bye through to the semi-finals and that could suit some them of as the likes of the two Corcorans, Carroll, Barry Teehan, Kevin Brady are the wrong side of 30. For Kinnitty it's win or bust. 2 good performances (Birr and Shinrone), 1 poor performance (Clareen) and 2 shocking performances (Belmont and Banagher) has been their lot this year and they must still be sickened how they didn't close it out against Shinrone. Tough one to call and Kinnitty have had the recent upper hand on Coolderry but Coolderry have the momentum with them and I give them the nod.

Seir Kieran vs Belmont - (Saturday in Birr at 6:30) Oh Belmont what can I say?? Looked like world beaters in Round 1 and 2 but since the championship has resumed the wind has been firmly knocked out of their sails. Much will depend on Oisin Kelly's availability. Seir Kieran have also been relatively poor since the return of the championship also, squeezing out a 1 point win over Kinnitty, getting a trimming off Shinrone and throwing away a big lead vs Kilcormac / Killoughey. The winners here are guaranteed a place in the Quarters while the losers are staring at a relegation final. Big game. Oisin Kelly plays I fancy Belmont, if he doesn't Clareen to win.

St Rynagh's vs Birr (Sunday in Birr at 7:15) Easiest game of the weekend to call. Birr were really poor vs Coolderry and only managed 1-09. Touch, workrate, everything was unacceptable really. St Rynagh's are moving up through the gears and should comfortably account for Birr here and put one foot in the semi-finals.

And as an aside what the hell is going on on with 2 senior matches in Birr on Sunday and it not being a double header?? Talk about trying to fleece the people for money!! Disgraceful.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

[quote="frankthetank"]Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone (Saturday in Banagher at 7:15) - Shinrone to the best of my knowledge have a decent recent record against Kilcormac / Killoughey if you take last year's Q-Final capitulation in OCP out of the equation. However as POTH stated a few days ago they have only won 1 match out of 5 this year. K/K while down some big guns are coming into this game knowing a win guarantees knockout hurling and I expect them to get it leaving Shinrone looking over their shoulder going into the last round of fixtures, particularly if Kinnitty can sneak a win over Coolderry

Coolderry vs Kinnitty - (Sunday in Birr at Noon) Great campaign by Coolderry so far to be fair. With Joachim having taken over it isn't exactly ground hurling but there's a directness and simplicity to their game and it's suiting them. The half back line and midfield are really solid and Brian Carroll and Kevin Connolly are really sharp in the corners. Guranteed a place in the knockouts, a win on Sunday would give them a bye through to the semi-finals and that could suit some them of as the likes of the two Corcorans, Carroll, Barry Teehan, Kevin Brady are the wrong side of 30. For Kinnitty it's win or bust. 2 good performances (Birr and Shinrone), 1 poor performance (Clareen) and 2 shocking performances (Belmont and Banagher) has been their lot this year and they must still be sickened how they didn't close it out against Shinrone. Tough one to call and Kinnitty have had the recent upper hand on Coolderry but Coolderry have the momentum with them and I give them the nod.

Seir Kieran vs Belmont - (Saturday in Birr at 6:30) Oh Belmont what can I say?? Looked like world beaters in Round 1 and 2 but since the championship has resumed the wind has been firmly knocked out of their sails. Much will depend on Oisin Kelly's availability. Seir Kieran have also been relatively poor since the return of the championship also, squeezing out a 1 point win over Kinnitty, getting a trimming off Shinrone and throwing away a big lead vs Kilcormac / Killoughey. The winners here are guaranteed a place in the Quarters while the losers are staring at a relegation final. Big game. Oisin Kelly plays I fancy Belmont, if he doesn't Clareen to win.

St Rynagh's vs Birr (Sunday in Birr at 7:15) Easiest game of the weekend to call. Birr were really poor vs Coolderry and only managed 1-09. Touch, workrate, everything was unacceptable really. St Rynagh's are moving up through the gears and should comfortably account for Birr here and put one foot in the semi-finals.

And as an aside what the hell is going on on with 2 senior matches in Birr on Sunday and it not being a double header?? Talk about trying to fleece the people for money!! Disgraceful.[/quote]

Simple solution. Give a raffle ticket to those who enter for the first game.
Let people bring the ticket back with them to the second game. Let them pay a fiver extra if they go to the second game.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

KK
Coolderry
Seir Kieran
St Rynagh’s
Good Luck

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Coolderry v Kinnity is now in Clareen sun @ 12
I tink the Rynaghs v birr game is in Rath

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

tacmot wrote:Coolderry v Kinnity is now in Clareen sun @ 12
Rynaghs game was initially Rath, but it has since been changed.
According to their Twitter.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

For anyone who likes a flutter:

Seir Kieran 5/6 Belmont 11/10 Draw 8/1

Kilcormac / Killoughey 4/9 Shinrone 15/8 Draw 9/1

Coolderry 3/10 Kinnitty 13/5 Draw 10/1

St Rynaghs 4/7 Birr 6/4 Draw 9/1

Odds all courtesy of Paddy Power.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Sort of. Shinrone beat K-K in 2016's final round 1-14 to 0-13. But something tells me there was an asterisk about that one, with KIlcormac's defeat landing them a more favourable quarter-final tie. The year before, Kilcormac beat Shinrone 1-13 to 1-11 - a narrow enough win.
frankthetank wrote:Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone (Saturday in Banagher at 7:15) - Shinrone to the best of my knowledge have a decent recent record against Kilcormac / Killoughey if you take last year's Q-Final capitulation in OCP out of the equation. However as POTH stated a few days ago they have only won 1 match out of 5 this year.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Duly Noted.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

According to the fixtures on people.gaa.ie, Coolderry v Kinnitty is now in Clareen at 12 noon. Rynagh's v Birr is now in Birr at 7.15pm, both on Sunday.

On Saturday, Belmont v Clareen is in Birr at 6.30pm while Kilcormac v Shinrone is in Banagher at 7.15pm. Meanwhile the Lusmagh v Tullamore Senior B tie now takes plave in Rath at 7.15pm on Saturday. This is because it was originally fixed for Moystown but Belmont are now hurling on Saturday evening.

Now, I appreciate there are good reasons for changing the fixtures, and most people can get these changes from the internet. But there are people out there who depend on the local paper for their fixtures and the paper will have gone to press with the original fixtures. These people will not be aware of these changes. (I hasten to add, that's not the papers' fault and they can only print what has been supplied to them.

Two things are bothering me about the local paper though. A match starting at 12 noon is NOT played in the morning. And can they stop using that phrase "early doors". It comes from the North of England, their constant use of the phrase is NOT going to propagate its usage and has no place in the GAA.
LooseCannon wrote:
tacmot wrote:Coolderry v Kinnity is now in Clareen sun @ 12
Rynaghs game was initially Rath, but it has since been changed.
According to their Twitter.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

In fairness to you, both results are evidence of a 'decent record'. Kilcormac were defending champions in 2015 and that narrow win would have extended their record-breaking winning run.
frankthetank wrote:Duly Noted.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Just curious POTH why do you to like to refer to KK as Kilcormac? Do you have something against the Killoughey side of the parish :D not getting at you at all, just wondering! I noted you referred to BK as Ballyskenagh Killavilla.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

allstar2010 wrote:Just curious POTH why do you to like to refer to KK as Kilcormac? Do you have something against the Killoughey side of the parish :D not getting at you at all, just wondering! I noted you referred to BK as Ballyskenagh Killavilla.
Must have got a bad pint in the Blue Ball, or perhaps a sour ice-cream at some point in time.
Good Luck