Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

While an Offaly Senior footballers win in the round 2 qualifier would put the Senior B hurling scheduled for the weekend of 30th June / 1st July, it shouldn't cause the postponement of the Senior A hurling games of the same weekend. Or am I missing something?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Any word on fixtures for the next round - only 10 days to go. Or will fixtures not be released until after offaly footballers play at the weekend?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Fixtures have to wait until it's confirmed whether or not Offaly footballers reach a Round 3 qualifier or not. Even at that, they'll have to wait until Central Council confirm next weekend's fixtures on Monday afternoon. For example, if Offaly footballers are playing next Saturday, there won't be club hurling fixtures at the same time.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Senior A hurling fixtures this weekend

Club hurling’s back. Weeeyyyy! Four matches this weekend, and a round every fortnight for the foreseeable, from the Master fixtures list.

Round 3 – weekend 30th June / 1st July
Round 4 – weekend 14th/15th July
Round 5 – weekend 28th / 29th July
Round 6 – weekend 11th / 12th August
Round 7 – weekend 25th / 26th August

In between then, the master list has provision for the U21 hurling championship as follows:-
Round 1 – Wednesday 1st August
Quarter-finals – Wednesday 15th August
Semi-finals – Wednesday 22nd August
Final – weekend 1st / 2nd September, or weekend 8th / 9th September.

Senior A fixtures this weekend –
Saturday at Birr
St Rynagh’s v Kinnitty at 7.30pm (preceded by Senior B Clodiagh Gaels v Carrig & Riverstown)

Sunday at Birr
Seir Kieran v Shinrone at 6pm
Coolderry v Belmont at 7.30pm

Sunday at Banagher
Birr v Kilcormac-Killoughey at 7.30pm (preceded by Senior B hurling Lusmagh v Brosna Gaels

(and, do those poll yokes a the top of each and every page actually serve a purpose, or it it just me who finds them a nuisance?)

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

As usual they are really difficult fixtures to call and even more so in this round because we have no real known form to go on. Performances from round 1 and 2 can more or less be ignored as it was so long ago. Are all the county players fit and available? Lots of things to ponder.

Going by league results (not the most reliable indicator I know!) Shinrone and Coolderry seem to be in a good place. While Seir Kieran were very disappointing in league final. It’s also going to be very interesting to see how Ferbane/Belmont handle 10 championship matches in 10 weekends. Tall order. Even if some of them will lack intensity due to championship structure.

2 groups of 5 with 3 qualifying next year please!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

St Rynagh’s
Seir Kieran
Coolderry
Draw
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I just want to say who ever makes the fixtures really needs to start doing a better job, I am sure it is no walk in the park but to have a double header in Birr while the senior team play in Banagher is totally not acceptable.

Do they realise it's not the county ground and any of the volunteers in Birr are mostly made up of committee members and loyal supporters people who go to every Birr game

It's lousy and one would wonder why as it puts Birr people in a situation where they have to choose over the club hosting matches and watching the senior team play.

I am sure other clubs have been in the same position before..We need to step up our game across the county quickly before its too late and supporters turn away.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

St Rynaghs to beat Kinitty by 5 pts
Seir Kieran to beat Shinrone by 4 pts
Coolderry to beat Belmont by 2 pts
KK to beat Birr by 4 pts

Overall should be 4 close matches which could go either way

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:I just want to say who ever makes the fixtures really needs to start doing a better job, I am sure it is no walk in the park but to have a double header in Birr while the senior team play in Banagher is totally not acceptable.

Do they realise it's not the county ground and any of the volunteers in Birr are mostly made up of committee members and loyal supporters people who go to every Birr game

It's lousy and one would wonder why as it puts Birr people in a situation where they have to choose over the club hosting matches and watching the senior team play.

I am sure other clubs have been in the same position before..We need to step up our game across the county quickly before its too late and supporters turn away.
Exactly, why couldn’t they do the same as they did for the first two rounds. Double header in Banagher one day, and a double header in Birr on the other.
It’s a pity that there are matches on at the same time. I presume that Martin is staying on. I’m sure that he’d like to attend as many matches as possible.
I’m aware of a senior B fixture fixed for Banagher on Sunday, but they could have it on the Saturday.
Should be more matches on the Saturday, due to the fact that the Leinster and Munster finals are on.
However, the likes of Ballinamere have a couple of lads playing for the u20s on Friday night.
Also Brosna Gaels.
Potentially Belmont.
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Questions after the weekend:

1. Are coolderry genuine contenders for Sean Robbins?
2. How far can shinrone go?
3. Have KK rediscovered their form?
4. Are kinnity favourites for relegation?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

1. Definitely
2. Probably not all the way
3. Not really
4. Most definitely

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Good questions:
1. I doubt it. Weren't at much until their first goal, which came against the run of play. Mark Egan was a big loss to Belmont.
2. Didn't see them. Winning the Leinster league was a big statement for them to make. I wonder are they peaking now?
3. Didn't see them. I would guess K-K won't really click into gear until September.
4. Took on Rynagh's without a plan, were way off the pace, and looked like a team who weren't expecting to be hurling on the weekend just gone. Their next match, against Clareen, will define their year.
chimbonda wrote:Questions after the weekend:

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

chimbonda wrote:Questions after the weekend
1. I suppose that we’ll have to wait and see. Rynagh’s beat them in the Leinster League semi final, without their 4 county lads. In saying that, Coolderry were short King anyway, and possibly Molloy. Hard to tell at the present moment.

2. I think that they’ve peaked too early. Delaney appears to be the favourite for the Leix job, so he’ll probably walk at the end of the year. I attended the Leinster League Final in Nowlan Park. Rynagh’s were short Conneely, Dolan and Woods. Whether or not Dolan will return to the fold this year remains to be seen.

3. I don’t know. Wasn’t at the game unfortunately.

4. It appears to be so.
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

how the table looks after round 3:

Pos. Team P W L D F A Pts
1 Coolderry GAA 3 2 0 1 66 49 5
2 Belmont GAA 3 2 1 0 61 57 4
3 Shinrone 3 1 1 1 63 52 3
4 St Rynagh's Hurling Club 3 1 1 1 52 50 3
5 Birr 3 1 1 1 60 60 3
6 Kilcormac-Killoughey 3 1 1 1 61 62 3
7 Seir Kieran 3 1 2 0 57 70 2
8 Kinnitty 3 0 2 1 39 59 1

wasn't at games over weekend but from what i seen so far:

1. coolderry really shocked me in first two rounds. the win over belmont wasn't! the loss of mark egan is huge for belmont be like coolderry without king or carroll. with 6 teams qualifying coolderry surely have a qf in the bag. cant see clareen or kinitty getting more than 6 points now.

2. victory against clareen was huge for shinrone. loose and they where is 7th instead of third. it's what they do next. i think a win over the neighbours next round would put them top because i cant see belmont beating birr.

3. form, what form? form from 5 or 6 years ago? definitely not.. not the same team.. a bit of a transition for kk at present but they are back to winning ways.. from what i seen on twitter they should bottle to score the last 7 scores of the game. rynaghs is next, which will be a tough one but a win could mentally make their year.

4. Kinnitty have always been favourites to go down. they need to stay at it because it doesn't matter if your last or second last.. the relegation final this year will be just as big a game as there is in Offaly this year.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

1. Coolderry seem to be flying it but you would think as championship goes on there age might catch up with them.

2. Shinerone played well but clareen seem to be in turmoil..also shinrone are fond of falling apart when it matters so they have a good bit to prove yet.

3. Birr there away this game were leading till the 58th minite and were missing key players...I think kk are in big bother with the personal they have.

4. Kinnity are in trouble with clareen also.