Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by greenairfield »

Loose cannon having a right rant haha

Footballers? Don't think Birr was ever known as a football club..

As for the whole crinkle thing sure ye are joined up with Cloghan so stop talking shite.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Loose cannon having a right rant haha

Footballers? Don't think Birr was ever known as a football club..

As for the whole crinkle thing sure ye are joined up with Cloghan so stop talking shite.
As far as I’m aware, I’m not from Banagher.
A town with a pick of over five thousand people should be able to comfortably field a football team of a decent standard.(I’ve the same problem with Edenderry in hurling) It doesn’t matter if it’s not a “football club”.
It’s a pity, because there’s some football people in Birr, one of which is managing St Rynagh’s footballers, but then again, you’re probably too narrow-minded to even acknowledge that.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

It was 4.5 thousand on the post before so the poulation has gone up 500 over night...?

There is some people interested in football and we field a team every year but it is hard to be successful at both games...traditionally it's a hurling club.

Also on the population crinkle is included in that 5000 and we also have various other sports available for kids to play in the town unlike country clubs.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:It was 4.5 thousand on the post before so the poulation has gone up 500 over night...?

There is some people interested in football and we field a team every year but it is hard to be successful at both games...traditionally it's a hurling club.

Also on the population crinkle is included in that 5000 and we also have various other sports available for kids to play in the town unlike country clubs.
That was including Crinkill, who play football with ye I believe.
The thing I’m pissed off about is that ye wouldn’t be too bad if ye put effort into football, particularly at underage.
Ye should ban the foreign games, including canoeing/kayaking, or whatever it is.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

You are talking nonsense the interest isn't there...as you said there is small handful of guys working pushing it but the players really aren't there.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:....we also have various other sports available for kids to play in the town unlike country clubs.
I'm very wary of wading into this, but I do want to shut down this idea, which you often hear from lads in town clubs. In this day and age, most children try their hand at every sport, and they have access to every sport - just because they've to get in the car with Mammy or Daddy and travel twenty minutes to do so doesn't stop them. Other sports is just as much of an "issue" for rural clubs as it is for town clubs.

I'm underage secretary here in my adopted club in Roscommon, which is entirely rural and as far from a big town as any rural area in the midlands could ever be - and we have to allow for lads that play soccer, lads that play rugby, and for some reason badminton is a very big thing around here too, though I've no idea why.

Just because a rugby club (for example) is based in Birr doesn't mean that it doesn't draw young lads and girls in from Clareen, Kinnitty, Coolderry etc. This idea that kids grow up in the country and first become aware of the existence of a sport other than gaelic football or hurling in their teenage years drives me cracked.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Last edited by LooseCannon on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

Boon
Junior B

Post by Boon »

Lone Shark wrote:
greenairfield wrote:....we also have various other sports available for kids to play in the town unlike country clubs.
I'm very wary of wading into this, but I do want to shut down this idea, which you often hear from lads in town clubs. In this day and age, most children try their hand at every sport, and they have access to every sport - just because they've to get in the car with Mammy or Daddy and travel twenty minutes to do so doesn't stop them. Other sports is just as much of an "issue" for rural clubs as it is for town clubs.

I'm underage secretary here in my adopted club in Roscommon, which is entirely rural and as far from a big town as any rural area in the midlands could ever be - and we have to allow for lads that play soccer, lads that play rugby, and for some reason badminton is a very big thing around here too, though I've no idea why.

Just because a rugby club (for example) is based in Birr doesn't mean that it doesn't draw young lads and girls in from Clareen, Kinnitty, Coolderry etc. This idea that kids grow up in the country and first become aware of the existence of a sport other than gaelic football or hurling in their teenage years drives me cracked.
True, if you look at Birr Rugby U16s for example...there are very very few people on it from Birr - most are from outlying areas.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Country people have the choice of coming in but let's say there is 9 lads from Clareen who are at the age of 11...maybe 1 might come in and play rugby or soccer.

While you go the Birr school you might have 30 lads at 11... 7 or 8 would be forgein nationals who would more than lightly pick up soccer usually the odd one might try hurling while the rest in the class are split up between hurling,soccer and rugby and you have your few who don't play sport also.

I know the recent u14 team that won a leinster rugby final had 5 lads who played in the feile final last weekend.

Of course the choice is there for country lads to come in and play but I would be certain people from the town would play other sports more than lads from the country because it's promoted more within there schools.

Is there rugby coaching going on in the schools in coolderry, Clareen, Banagher or kk? No i doubt it very much but it is been coached in Birr!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:Country people have the choice of coming in but let's say there is 9 lads from Clareen who are at the age of 11...maybe 1 might come in and play rugby or soccer.

While you go the Birr school you might have 30 lads at 11... 7 or 8 would be forgein nationals who would more than lightly pick up soccer usually the odd one might try hurling while the rest in the class are split up between hurling,soccer and rugby and you have your few who don't play sport also.

I know the recent u14 team that won a leinster rugby final had 5 lads who played in the feile final last weekend.

Of course the choice is there for country lads to come in and play but I would be certain people from the town would play other sports more than lads from the country because it's promoted more within there schools.

Is there rugby coaching going on in the schools in coolderry, Clareen, Banagher or kk? No i doubt it very much but it is been coached in Birr!
Maybe if ye changed yer name to suit the geographical location, such as South Offaly Dragons, I know, I know, dragons are a thing of fantasy, like most south Offaly clubs’ respective title aspirations. :lol:
Or perhaps St Brendan’s RFC

Ye could always ban foreign games.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

What club you from Cannon

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:What club you from Cannon
Like Sam, I’m from “Kinnitty”, but then again,he spelt it Kinnity, but oh well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One could also say that I’m a member of the Robin Hood Club, I like to see smaller clubs do well, and bigger ones die(not really). I like to support the underdogs.

So I suppose you could say that I’m a member of the Clonmore Harps fanclub. #ChaClonmore. :wink:
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

No.1 You should have more respect for Birr the most successful club ever to come from our county.

No.2 We are the underdog now sure.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:No.1 You should have more respect for Birr the most successful club ever to come from our county.

No.2 We are the underdog now sure.

Oh I respect them alright, but I find winding yourself up to be very amusing :D :lol:
From the matches that I’ve seen (6/8, wasn’t at the second round in Banagher), and I’ve only seen Birr once, but I feel that they’re up there with the favourites, obviously they’ve 3 points, as opposed to Belmont’s 4, but I’d fancy Birr to pip the Brosnasiders in a tight game. Birr are tipping along nicely, and I was chatting a former Offaly hurler last week, and he reckons that Birr will be in the final yet(he’s not from Birr).
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Sure it's much the same as myself with a lot of fellas on here winding up lads it's great craic

Believe it or not the first day the looked dangerous but the second day they were awful they really should of had kinnitty out of sight hurling again the wind after 10 minutes.

I think they are up there with the top teams also but need Brian Watkins back and maybe a few changes to the team and a good bit of luck to win the sean Robbins in my opinion.