Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

Blueblue10
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by Blueblue10 »

Fairplayalways wrote:now it has gone to SBP v OCP...post derailed!
How is the post derailed it’s a discussion form simply don’t reply if you don’t like the discussion I was only asking a question and also stating something positive about the attendance in st.brendans Park...some people in here seem to have a vendetta against hurling in birr.i would think a positive thing to do would be for birr to take the semi finals one year with ocp taking the final..then reverse the fixtures the following year

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:LS how much do the county board pay you for been number 1 supporter of OCP?
I don't know why I bothered. In a nutshell, I wanted to correct the idea that there was only 1,000 people in OCP, to correct the idea that the intermediate game was a big boost to the crowd there and to point out that one game being on Saturday was a factor.

Over the last year I've been on radio, on podcast and used my column in the Offaly Indo to argue that the logical next step for SBP was to play one of the semi-finals there each year for a couple of years, and then if it is proved that there is an increase in attendance there, to alternate county finals between the two venues. But apparently because I didn't argue for this years ago, when things were completely different, people ignore everything I say and do now. I try to argue for Birr's case, while keeping it factual, and I still get grief. So I'm out of this. I won't refer to it on here, or through any media channel.

To the usual posters on here, my apologies for playing a part in derailing the thread. Twasn't my intention, but I should have known better.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few thoughts on Sunday's final

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No matter what way I turn the logic of Sunday’s Senior Final, I cannot see anything other than a Kilcormac win – and an emphatic one at that.

Take the semi-finals. Kilcormac hitting a near perfect pitch, both in terms of their intensity and their plan. St Rynagh’s are no slouches (they’ve beaten K-K in two recent semi-finals) yet they had no answer. Constantly under pressure, that meant the Shannonsiders were unable to get their passing game in motion. And with the K-K wing-forwards dropping deep to assist their wing-backs when Rynagh’s pucked out, Rynaghs had nowhere to go.

Contrast that with Coolderry’s semi-final. The big aggregate score and the tight margin suggests a classic. It was anything but, from a Coolderry perspective. Too many forwards didn’t perform sufficiently well, and despite opening up big leads at two separate occasions, were clinging on at game’s end. That they were forced to cling on was down to a complete collapse of their forwards both offensively and defensively, and apart from Oisín Kelly’s goals, Belmont had several opportunities to pick further scores but didn’t.

A look at the age profiles of the respective teams reveals a potential mismatch. Coolderry with four starters aged 35 or over. All four are leaders too, and will be required to stick the pace until the finish. Compare and contrast – Ger Healion is 35, Ciarán Slevin and Kevin Grogan are 32, while another four are 30. O’Connor Park can be an unforgiving place for veterans and Sunday will probably be their last final day appearance for a long time.

The forwards. K-K’s carries scoring potential from 10 to 15, and beyond. While Ciarán Slevin may not get things his own way in the presence of Kevin Brady, he should still pick 0-2 or 0-3 from play, and perhaps a goal too. Cillian Kiely was quiet against St Rynagh’s, but picked off three sublimely skilful points during the semi-final’s final quarter. Thomas Geraghty is achieving his potential – he scored 0-3 in the semi-final, and has scored 0-3 from play in each of four of the seven group games. Peter Geraghty didn’t score in the semi-final, but his reading of the breaking ball saw him gather more breaks and contest more rucks than anyone else. Conor Mahon, too, had a job to do in the semi-final, but even in a semi-defensive role, scored 0-2. And I wonder, will James Gorman start the game; he may well do.

Other hand, Coolderry rely on Brian Carroll and Kevin Connolly for their scores. Which is all very well and both are talented, but corner forwards are utterly dependent on the quality of the supply from afar. And it’s not as if Coolderry have the option of moving one or other out to the half-forward line – neither are ball winners who would win a puckout when closely surrounded by Kevin Grogan AND Conor Mahon. You couldn’t see a Coolderry half-forward scoring 0-3. And Coolderry would be in dire straits if Brian Carroll was to be tied up by Killian Leonard. Scoring four goals is unlikely too, not with Conor Slevin on the line and Ger Healion guarding the square.

As regards options and alternatives, Kilcormac-Killoughey have several alternatives, though not as many as in recent years. Enda Grogan could go to centre half-back with Damien Kilmartin going to midfield; Cillian Kiely could see action in any number of positions, Dylan Murray (another who could make a big impact) could move forward. James Gorman could start, and if not, will certainly come on, while Daniel Currams will surely make an appearance too.

Coolderry will be severely discommoded if Stephen Corcoran is unable to line out. The knee injury sustained in the semi-final’s second half looked like it could keep him out of the game for some time. Corcoran’s control of his square and his puckouts have made him one of Offaly’s top goalkeepers. And Coolderry would be deprived of a young half-forward if Will Malone was needed in goals. And would Malone be comfortable pinging a puckout to a defender?

So, not much light for Coolderry on Sunday. They’ve been a fine team, been a pleasure to watch (and infuriating too) since 2001, should have won much more since that breakthrough draw with Birr but didn’t. But on form, Sunday will be a long day for them.

Kilcormac-Killoughey to win, decisively.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Half time kk 0-08 Coolderry 1-09 good game so far

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Congts to Coolderry. By some distances the best team in Offaly this year.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Great win for Coolderry fully deserved Brian Carroll still some talent, Connolly caused terrible trouble all day long for kk backline

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

Serious win by coolderry yesterday, as toxicity234 said, by some distance the best team in offaly this year. People have been going on about the collapse against belmont for the last 2 weeks, but for anyone else who may have been in attendance, maybe you will disagree with me but i thought the referee rode coolderry for 60 plus minutes and they were lucky to leave with the win. Lots of people have been mentioning Joachims record winning championships as well but huge credit must go to there physical trainer too, the age profile of the team isn't overly youthful as said but by jesus are they fit. 2 of the standout performers yesterday were Brian Carroll and Kevin Brady both in the 35 years age category.

One or 2 other things can anyone answer, who was given credit for the second goal? On being in attendance it looked like Parlon may have got the last touch but on looking back over the game on Tg4 Joe Brady seems like he might of added that all important score.

When is the game against the Carlow champions fixed? The lads on Radio 3 were saying 2 weeks but on the leinster GAA website i see its down for the 04/11/18.

Congrats to both teams on a tremendous game yesterday i havent enjoyed a game in offaly as much in a long time. Best of luck to coolderry representing offaly in Leinster.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Great final! The two top teams over the last decade really put on a great show. Coolderry were just that much hungrier and better up front. Carroll was deadly from frees and play. Connolly was always dangerous. Brady at centre back mopped up any amount of ball, what’s the chances of getting him back centre back for the county? Slim to none! He’s fitter than I’ve ever seen him. KK never threatened the Coolderry goal. Conor Mahon put in a good shift but seem to run out of steam near the end. A lot of mileage on the Clock for a lot of KK lads and they’ll be all the better for the break, they’ve been great champions and have represented the county with distinction over the last few years. As have Coolderry and no doubt they’ll give Leinster a good rattle.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Agree with most of what is said already. I think that KK’s county final was against Rynagh’s. They failed to bring the same intensity to the game as they had done in the semi final win. Tactically I think that they got it wrong also. Leaving Kiely inside for the whole second half was probably not the wisest move. In saying that, bringing T Geraghty out around the middle was fruitful for the first few minutes. They probably should have put Mahon inside late on, as he had tired.
What happened to Jordan Quinn? Was up there for hurler of the year last year, Offaly panelist this year and didn’t even get a run.

With that said, Coolderry were deserving winners. Brady, Connolly and Carroll the pick of the bunch.
Any team that goes unbeaten during a championship are deservied champions.
They were down v Shinrone and Daniel Miller got the goal. Drew with KK in April(won’t go into that too much as it was very early on). They were 5 down v Rynagh’s, Joseph O’Connor hit the post with a goal bound shot, and they came back to draw it.

Credit must go to Martin Bennett, who got them into top shape as well. They wouldn’t have been known for their athletic prowess before, but they certainly are now.

A resilient bunch, resilient champions. Well done Coolderry, Offaly Senior A Hurling Champions 2018.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Is Martin Bennett from Crinkle?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The Final was a good one.

Coolderry were brilliant, They team set up was spot on. they didn't change the team. That always assign of believe. they won almost every ball on the ground. Brian Carroll won two clean catches in the last 5 mins. They were hunting in packs but 2 in and the rest trying to win the breaks. Brian Carroll had 4 roll lifts in the second half in rucks. if that was a Offaly county development squad they would have been blowing for free cause he didn't jab lift it. (I shit you not). Kelly Management was all about getting the best our of his players. Brady held the middle. he was the key to the team. I could sit here and write all day about how good Coolderry are.
I watch them in the lenister League against Camross and I though there set up was excellent. I didn't think they win the county title but Jesus they been outstanding.
Kelly has done a lot of management over the years and while he make mistakes. He normal doesn't make the same mistake again.
Cathal Parlon coming off the beach was a huge lift when they need it.
And lovely to See Joe Brady get the winning goal. A man that has been treated so badly by Offaly. A Mountain. A Legend.

Kilcormac Killoughey players will be disappointed with there performance but I think the management team have to take the blame. The team set up had the John Leahy fingerprint all over it.
They took one of the physical biggest side in the county and replaced turned them into one of the smallest. They tried to Run a Coolderry with little lads. Coolderry are massive.
They changed every line on the field. For some reason the management were worried. Jordan Quinn sit on the beach for the whole match. He was one of there best players last year. James Gorman set on the sideline for way too long.
They left Selvin at centre forward when Kevin Brady was clean him out. They let Kilmartin be drag out of the middle and exposed the whole defence.
I have a real go at Clareen Forwards for there workrate. (which is shocking) Sleivin work rate was really poor yesterday. It's not normal for him. There is nothing worst than watching a player clearing a ball under no pressure. Brady cleared a huge amount of ball yesterday.
Stephen Byrne has to be give credit for last year but equally he has to take the blame for this year.
There an old American Football Term called quick-sand. where one thing goes wrong and the whole thing sinks. So many thing go wrong that it hard to know where it started. It's started with the team selection and the management have to take reasonable for that.

The championship over and A look back at the new structure has to be done.
I have to say I'm surprised at how well it worked. I was total against it. I though the B championship would degrade into a farce. It didn't.
Losing Clareen out of the A championship is blow for the Great Club that is Seir Keiran. But not a huge loss for the A championship. Mainly cause they haven't been good enough for a long time. All their Talent forwards they have and all the chances these forward have been given and still they can't win there own ball and they refuse to work. if it was for Joe Bergin they have been in huge trouble years ago. Ballinamere will be a good addition to the A championship.

Belmont were within a inch of a county final. They be feeling that if they continue to work hard and play the good hurling they are, it's only a matter of time.
Ryangh's need to evolve, Still trying to play the same game and it only brought one county title. a disappointing year for the club.
Kinnitty will be happy to survive the drop but will be looking to improve next year.
Shirone still haven't made the leap, they need to step up next year.

And finally congt's to Coolderry and looking forward to seen them having a crack at Leinster.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

In fairness, the print media probably wouldn't have had access to a television replay, given the tight deadlines they would have before going to press.

And the Leinster Council site has the correct dates.
Wingforward wrote:One or 2 other things can anyone answer, who was given credit for the second goal? On being in attendance it looked like Parlon may have got the last touch but on looking back over the game on Tg4 Joe Brady seems like he might of added that all important score.

When is the game against the Carlow champions fixed? The lads on Radio 3 were saying 2 weeks but on the leinster GAA website i see its down for the 04/11/18.

Congrats to both teams on a tremendous game yesterday i havent enjoyed a game in offaly as much in a long time. Best of luck to coolderry representing offaly in Leinster.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Final reflections

First of all, congratulations to Coolderry on a fabulous win. Congratulations too go to Joachim for leading them along the winning path.

When considering the factors that will determine the outcome of a match, I look at the tangible factors such as recent form, the likely matchups and potential for mismatches on the field, the recent history between the sides and who is the more likely to control the game. I don’t tend to look at intangible factors such as the influence of the spirits, omens and the like.

In the light of the respective semi-final performances (where Kilcormac dictated the pace and trend of the semi-final from start to finish, and when Coolderry effectively caved in and clung on by their fingertips), Sunday’s final seemed a foregone conclusion. Hands up, I got it badly wrong.

The Coolderry club’s facebook page carries a banner which reads “It’s a Coolderry thing, you wouldn’t understand”. I must admit I sniffed at this, but I think that spirit is worth looking into. Looking back now, Coolderry went behind to an own goal when playing Shinrone, but went down the field and lashed in a goal themselves; they didn’t really have anything to play for against St Rynagh’s (they were assured of a semi-final slot anyway), didn’t play well, yet snatched a draw with a late goal.

And so to Sunday. Coolderry saved their best performance of the year for the Final. Very few teams have done that. They might be the best team on the day, but the best performance might have been in the quarter-final or semi-final. And that it was against Kilcormac, the strongest, most physical, the best in the air, with the forwards they had, astonished me.

Kevin Brady set the tone from very early on, with two aerial fetches. Great to have a centre half-forward playing on the front foot. Close by, Barry Teehan was available to take a pass, made interceptions and comfortably covered the ground. Apparently he’s 36! Trevor Corcoran managed his man well, still a rottweiler. But the revelation this year has been Stephen Burke. On the scene for the best part of a decade now, was full-back and captain of the 2010 winning U21 team and slipped into the Senior team somewhere between 2012 and 2015. As a defender, his perception is excellent, reads the game so well, gets out in front so well and hurls with his head up.

I didn’t think Brian Carroll would go well at centre half-forward. But the effect was two-fold. He led from the front, putting in a workmanlike performance where he put his body on the line. And with Killian Leonard following, Coolderry could effectively ‘pick’ the K-K defence for them. (Carroll’s 10 points brought him to within a single point of being the championship’s top scorer.) Kevin Connolly is one of my favourite hurlers when in full flight. His lining out at full-forward forced Kilcormac to move Ger Healion to corner-back! Who’d have thunk it? Eóghan Parlon came of age in the last 20 minutes, getting on the ball and driving at the defence.

David King was another who gave his best performance of the year on the big day, getting through an amount of work. But the trump card, and the key moment, was Cathal Parlon’s introduction at half-time. A game changing intervention. The returned emigrant was a revelation, getting on the ball repeatedly, picking passes, making clearances and generally hurling on the front foot.

There’s a link to Martin Bennett on Coolderry’s facebook page, made earlier this year. His method of winter training is boxing, rather than the drudgery of running in the mud. An interesting approach. And it looks to have benefitted Coolderry’s veterans.

As for Joachim. He and Coolderry have been a great match. He’d have a PE background from Templemore and is keen on the psychological element, yet was big enough to bring in Martin Bennett to deal with the S&C and the mental stuff. No sweepers here, no gimmicks, instead move the ball on and hurl in the Offaly spirit of leaving it all on the field. They hit it off almost immediately, winning the league (the first time the club have won the league & championship double). And still kept their best performance of the year for Final day. Mick Murray must have coached every hurler in Coolderry, young and old, at some stage. Dessie Teehan: Coolderry through and through, Séamus Kennedy too.

All added up to bring the spirit of “we’re Coolderry” to rock O’Connor Park on Senior final day, and Seán Robbins will spend winter among Coolderry's rolling hills. I think I’m beginning to understand it now.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

haven't been on in a few weeks, as I thought, Coolderry won the county final, they were the form team all year (bar the near collapse against Belmont in the SF)..Kilcormac had Killian Kiely in on edge of square but he seemed isolated in there, they then brought him out, the Midland tribune were on about Dan Currams being a potential match winner, I don't know what game they were looking at, I know he is and can be a big player but on Sunday he was way off the pace and how he was left on the field so long I don't know...and you know Kilcormac didn't hurl that badly either and would have beaten other teams on the day.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

On a side note fair play to whoever creates the content for match program, a lot of quality content from past and present. I have a collector friend and he was very impressed keep up the good work