Senior A hurling 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Sean Robbins winners 2018

Kilcormac Killoughey
27%
St.Rynaghs
36%
Ferbane
12%
Clareen
6%
Birr
3%
Shinrone
9%
Kinnitty
3%
Coolderry
3%

Total votes: 33

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Senior A hurling 2018

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Reading between the lines of what I'm hearing locally and what's been posted here, it looks like the quarter finals are as follows:-

St Rynagh's v Shinrone in Birr on Saturday 8th, preceded by Drumcullen v Shamrocks in the Senior B quarter final; and
Belmont v Birr somewhere (likely in Tullamore) on Sunday 9th, preceded by Lusmagh v Killeigh in the Senior B quarter final.

I stress this is my best guess at the moment, and this is in no way confirmed.
Freudian slip re KIlleigh POTH. Clodiagh Gaels are the new kids on the block. The past is a foreign country etc.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Banagher would be able to hold the crowd for that double header. Birr v Belmont putting it simply should not be in OCP.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote:Banagher would be able to hold the crowd for that double header. Birr v Belmont putting it simply should not be in OCP.
Genuine question, not being disingenuous - is there an official capacity in Banagher, that's cleared by the relevant H&S people?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

County board don't like bringing north offaly teams too far south for that reason Cliodagh gales will be in OCP which will mean Birr will be there also v Belmont as Belmont won't hurl Birr in SBP other teams possibly would Rynaghs did last year in the QF.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote:Banagher would be able to hold the crowd for that double header. Birr v Belmont putting it simply should not be in OCP.
I find Banagher to be a good venue.

Has a nice stand. Warm up areas are on site, with plenty of space.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

LooseCannon wrote:

I think it's an ideal venue for a lot of games, and as I've said often on here, I think far too many round robin SHC Offaly games this year were in OCP, and far too many were in SBP as well. However you can't get away from the fact that there might be 1000 people or more at this game, and you can't just plonk that into a club ground without knowing that they're equipped for it. You're asking for trouble doing that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote:County board don't like bringing north offaly teams too far south for that reason Cliodagh gales will be in OCP which will mean Birr will be there also v Belmont as Belmont won't hurl Birr in SBP other teams possibly would Rynaghs did last year in the QF.

In 2016 when Birr, St Rynagh's, Kinnitty and K/K were the four semi-finalists 3 of the 4 clubs requested that the semi -finals be played in Birr. The exception of course were K/K. Kinnitty even requested it and they were fixed to play Birr. And as you said fair play to St Rynagh's last year in the Q-Final, where they had no issue playing Birr in Birr.

It beggars belief that given the geographical location of the 6 teams left in the county championship, 4 of the 5 remaining games looks like they will be played in OCP.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

The 8 Club teams this year in senior were from kk and further south. As much work there is been done elsewhere this is still the hurling strong hold.
St.Brendans Park will probably get a semi final this year which is an improvement on other years.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Not a hope SBP will get a semi-final. Semi - finals really need to be a double header and that being the case they will remain in OCP.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Lone Shark wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:

I think it's an ideal venue for a lot of games, and as I've said often on here, I think far too many round robin SHC Offaly games this year were in OCP, and far too many were in SBP as well. However you can't get away from the fact that there might be 1000 people or more at this game, and you can't just plonk that into a club ground without knowing that they're equipped for it. You're asking for trouble doing that.
I didn’t think there were that many games in OCP this year as opposed to other years, maybe I’m wrong. Besides Kk kinnitty game what other games were in OCP?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

No Senior A games that I can recall. There was a good scatter of Senior B games there I think. One a round I’d say.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Why would they really need to be a double header ?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Because nobody wants to pay €30 to see the two county semi-finals.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

They will have to accommodate senior B also so it will work out

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

My point still stands. I dont want to pay €30 to see the county senior semi-finals. In fact I’d say there’s no person in this county that does.