The Wanderer finds another home.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

The Wanderer finds another home.

Post by Lone Shark »

From Hogan Stand:
New role for Oakley?
Thursday, January 20, 2005

Ger Oakley could figure at centre forward for Offaly in the forthcoming National Hurling League after he was tried in the pivotal position against Toomevara in a challenge match in Templemore on Sunday, January 16.

Oakley, who has played in a variety of positions down the years, has been Offaly’s first choice full back for the past two years. But with doubts continuing to hang over Gary Hanniffy’s availability this year, the Carrig & Riverstown man could be about to make a permanent switch to the ’40’.

The match, which ended all-square at 1-13 apiece, also marked the county debuts of Peter Healion and Cathal Parlon. Coolderry’s Barry Teehan will captain Offaly this year with Brendan Murphy chosen as vice-captain.
Now I don't know about this at all. It could be just experimental, but I thought Oakley was making a damn fine job of full back, largely through his fitness and some good spoiling. Enda McEvoy, a notorious anti-Biff even said it best in summing up the team last year - he looks like a guy who's going to get utterly cleaned out some day - but two years later and we're still waiting.

I could understand this if he was a towering high fielding full back who could win ball against the Barrys and Currans of this world, but he's not - he blocks ball sideways and relies on shepherding lads away from goals. Personally I think he was doing a good job there, and ludicrous though it might sound, someone like Parlon might have been worth a try in that role.

Mise
Junior A

Post by Mise »

LS, what was the full line out for that match do you know?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

No can do I'm afraid.

Post by Lone Shark »

All I know is from that article. Didn't hear anything else. Loughers or Treasurer are more up to date hurling contributors here, they might be in a better position to enlighten.

Treasurer
All Star

Team v Toome

Post by Treasurer »

Brian Mullins
Barry Teehan, Mick O'Hara, Peter Healion
Niall Claffey, Joe Brady, Colm Cassidy
Michael Cordial, Neville Coughlan
Cathal Parlon, Ger Oakley, Brian Carroll
Brendan Murphy, Stephen Brown, Damien Murray

Dylan Hayden for Murphy, Aidan Hanrahan for Oakley and Martin Corcoran for Cordial.

Damien Murray scored 1-8 of the 1-13, 0-7 from frees.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Hurling- The year ahead

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I agree with treasurer re Oakley's performances at full back. His future at full back depends on the alternatives. Interesting that O'Hara lined out last week. He strikes me at being good in the air (an alternative for CHF perhaps?) though struggles when the ball is below waist height.

That looked a very much full strength team that hurled Toomevara, in that at least two from every line will line out against Kilkenny in June. Now whether thats a good thing or not . . .
Walsh Cup v Down on Sunday, and its vital to get a win here in order to get another game against a KK or WX before the league starts.
As for the year ahead, the outright winning of Div. 2 is a must, after which some stiff challenge games will be required to try to bridge the gap between KY & MH (our stiffest competition in Div 2) and the cats in June.

Interesting, too to note the fixtures for the round robin series. The first game is fixed for the Saturday after the KK game, theres a break of a week, then the remaining two games are fixed for the next two Saturdays.
Now, the draw will likely see us paired with 1) a strong munster team; 2) Dub/LS/Ant; and 3) Galway or another munster team.
Methinks the order in which those games are played are key to further progress. If we're coming in a week after a disappointing defeat by KK, we don't want to face a make-or-break game, so we don't want to face 3) above.

Indeed, four matches in five weeks will make it very difficult for any dual player. On the other hand, the senior club player can plan his holidays for this period safe in the knowledge that there won't be any SHC matches played in this period.

Incidentally, does anyone know the procedure if two or more teams are tied after the series of round-robin matches? Play-off, previous results between those teams, or scoring averages?
Scoring averages weigh heavily in favour of the ball-carrying, high scoring teams who will clock up big scores against the likes of Antrim.