2018 Bord na Móna O’Byrne Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: 2018 Bord na Móna O’Byrne Cup

Post by Doon Exile »

I don’t care if this was their third team, it’s no bad result and definitely progress albeit early doors yet.
Doon exile....

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Sexy Football :wink:

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

It might be a 3rd string, but I'd imagine a fair portion of that 3rd string Dublin team would be there or thereabouts starting on a lot of county teams...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-offaly-repor ... 2-Jan2018/

Cian Johnson with 0-06 from play, chances missed to win in injury time, outscored Dublin 0-10 to 0-05 when playing against the wind in the 2nd half, Dublin have to beat Wexico by 17 points at the weekend or Offaly qualify for semi-final.

Progress!!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I've heard nothing but positive vibes from the camp. Last year was tired and predictable, this year Wallace is offering the players something different and they've taken to it. We have some reinforcements back in a few weeks as well so every reason to be optimistic. I'm not saying they are going win Division 3 or Leinster this year but I fully expect this current management set up will get the best from the panel. Thats all we can ask for.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

substandard wrote:It might be a 3rd string, but I'd imagine a fair portion of that 3rd string Dublin team would be there or thereabouts starting on a lot of county teams...
Basquel would most definitely walk into any team. Don’t know enough about the rest to comment.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

bracknaghboy wrote:I've heard nothing but positive vibes from the camp. Last year was tired and predictable, this year Wallace is offering the players something different and they've taken to it. We have some reinforcements back in a few weeks as well so every reason to be optimistic. I'm not saying they are going win Division 3 or Leinster this year but I fully expect this current management set up will get the best from the panel. Thats all we can ask for.
Is Anthony Cunningham involved?
Saw him a couple of times playing for Bracknagh. Quality player.
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

LooseCannon wrote:
substandard wrote:It might be a 3rd string, but I'd imagine a fair portion of that 3rd string Dublin team would be there or thereabouts starting on a lot of county teams...
Basquel would most definitely walk into any team. Don’t know enough about the rest to comment.
Yep, there's no way you could say Basquel is a lesser player than Eoghan O'Gara. Several of the others are very good, but maybe lacking the physique of Jim Gavin's 1st choice 15.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:
Yep, there's no way you could say Basquel is a lesser player than Eoghan O'Gara. Several of the others are very good, but maybe lacking the physique of Jim Gavin's 1st choice 15.
He was unreal for Ballyboden in their All-Ireland club campaign in 15-16.
Was imperitive to their success. It appears that he was on their extended panel last year. Would’ve thought that he’d be in the first few subs at least. Obviously not though.

I wonder how O’Gara’s brother did?
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The big pity is that when Offaly had wind advantage they were a bit at sea in the full back line and spurned a lot of attacking chances.
Otherwise they should have been edging it in the first 35.
While Offaly kept the full-forward pushed up, the link play was poor at times, with a lot of ponderous carrying and eventual poor deliveries. This improved markedly in the 2nd half and was key to the Offaly comeback.

In the first half Dublin had less possession, but their direct running opened up Offaly a bit too easily at times. They had even less possession in the 2nd half when Offaly took control.

A great introduction to the big time for Cian Johnston, but the lad shouldn't be heaped with pressure so early in his career.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:The big pity is that when Offaly had wind advantage they were a bit at sea in the full back line and spurned a lot of attacking chances.
Otherwise they should have been edging it in the first 35.
While Offaly kept the full-forward pushed up, the link play was poor at times, with a lot of ponderous carrying and eventual poor deliveries. This improved markedly in the 2nd half and was key to the Offaly comeback.

In the first half Dublin had less possession, but their direct running opened up Offaly a bit too easily at times. They had even less possession in the 2nd half when Offaly took control.

A great introduction to the big time for Cian Johnston, but the lad shouldn't be heaped with pressure so early in his career.
Would you remeber what subs were introduced?
Good Luck

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Cillian O'Gara very good for Dublin in first half and was involved in everything. Was taken off at HT presumably due to his yellow card.

Very enjoyable second half. Offaly looked a lot fitter towards the end. Three chances towards the end to win it. Was impressed by pender, odonoghue, conor mcnamee, Mc Conway and obviously Johnson. Good early signs but let's not get worked up

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Nothing really that we didn’t know already from today’s tribune but, here ye are.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gae ... s-11786374
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star

LooseCannon wrote: Would you remeber what subs were introduced?
The42 has it as listed below, but Nigel Dunne definitely stayed on till the end:

Subs

22. Paul McConway (Tullamore) for Lalor (15)
18. Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks) for Brazil (20)
20. Conor McNamee (Rhode) for Dunne (ht)
23. Joey O’Connor (St Rynagh’s) for Doyle (ht)
21. Bobby O’Dea (Durrow) for Dempsey (black-card, 60)

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
LooseCannon wrote: Would you remeber what subs were introduced?
The42 has it as listed below, but Nigel Dunne definitely stayed on till the end:

Subs

22. Paul McConway (Tullamore) for Lalor (15)
18. Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks) for Brazil (20)
20. Conor McNamee (Rhode) for Dunne (ht)
23. Joey O’Connor (St Rynagh’s) for Doyle (ht)
21. Bobby O’Dea (Durrow) for Dempsey (black-card, 60)
I presume injuries to Lalor and Brazil?
Good Luck