2018 Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: 2018 Walsh Cup

Post by DoingUntold »

Of course we should be targeting a win, when has Offaly ever feared Dublin in hurling?

A concern i believe management would have is our second half performance in terms of scoring, which i think we need to put right against the likes of Dublin.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It be an interesting game. Dublin are in good form. Had Wexford bet until man got sent off. Can't see Offaly winning but have to wait and see. Dublin despite last year being a lost year are probably 5 plus points a better team.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

DoingUntold wrote:Of course we should be targeting a win, when has Offaly ever feared Dublin in hurling?

A concern i believe management would have is our second half performance in terms of scoring, which i think we need to put right against the likes of Dublin.
you where the one that said it.
DoingUntold wrote:A performance is more important than the result here, especially a second half performance.
Yes I agree with the second half display in the second half too.. this is also up to management, with the decisions they make and how they change things up. Be interesting to see what 15 will start in croker.

From seeing 2 of the 3 games I think this is the team I would start.

1 Eoin Cahill
2 Tom Spain
3 Sean Gardiner
4 Ben Conelly
5 Paddy Delaney
6 Pat Camon
7 Dermot Short
8 David King
9 Thomas Gerathy
10 Colin Egan
11 Shane Kinsella
12 Damien Egan (if fit)
13 Oisin Kelly
14 Conor Mahon
15 Shane Dooley

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Offaly
1. Eoin Cahill (Birr)
2. Thomas Spain (Brosna Gaels)
6. Dermot Shortt (St. Rynagh’s)
4. Ben Conneely (St. Rynagh’s)
5. Patrick Delaney (Kinnitty)
22. Pat Camon (St. Rynagh’s)
7. Jordan Quinn (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
8. David King (Coolderry)
9. Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
10. Oisin Kelly (Belmont)
11. Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
12. Colin Egan (Belmont)
13. Colm Gath (Drumcullen)
14. Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
21. Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
Subs
17. Shane Dooley (Tullamore) for Egan (HT)
23. Dan Doughan (Shinrone) for Shortt (51)
19. Ciaran Cleary (Shinrone) for Gath (54)
20. Conor Molloy (Coolderry) for Geraghty (57)
24. Patrick Rigney (Kinnitty) for Delaney (64)
12. Colin Egan (Belmont) for Mahon (67 B/S)
14. Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey) (69 B/S reversal)

just wanted to put up the team,

They were a bit unlucky not to get the result.
Mahon at full forwards bully the Kilkenny full back line. Kinsella put in a great shift in the half forward line.
The team lost shape when Mahon moved from full forward.
Realy impressed that we out worked Kilkenny for a good time in the game.
Couldn't get a score in the second half to spark us into life.
Was a mistake to take off Egan and put on Dooley. Dooley Defence was Realy poor, He gave away 4 free when the backs were under really pressure and gave them easy clearence. The otherside was his Peno was brillent but he miss a few frees.

I be happy enough to say that we can take dublin.
Centre back and full back is the important positons to get correct and Free taker is an other big issue to sorted.
My team for what it worth (which isn't much)

1. Conor Slevin.
2. Paddy Rigney
3. Sean Gardiner
4. Ben Conneely
5. Patrick Delaney/ Pat Camon.
6. Dermot Shortt
7. Jordan Quinn
8. David King
9. Damien Egan
10. Dan Currams
11. Shane Kinsella
12. Colin Egan
13. Oisín Kelly
14. Conor Mahon
15. Eoin Cahill

Couple thing to note. Cahill the best Freetaker in Offaly. The debate in my head was over by half time on sat. To small for the Half forward line and Mahon will look after him in the full forward line.
I think Mahon, Egan and kinsella should be swaped, if the managemnt want to swap players but Kelly still not strong enough for full forward but this will come in time.
Dan Currams cause i realy wanted to put in Gath or Cleary but Dublin Half back are big and strong its a little early for them and the likes of kiely and conor doughan don't look like there around the panel at the moment and Dooley and Bergin don't have the legs for these positons. and Currams does offer a scoring treat.

The big thing is to have our subs correct against dub. Your subs can do the damage against dublin in the last 10 mins but that only if we put in the Hard work for the frist 50 mins. Phyiscall commit to the tackle and win the battle. fight like dogs. and if we get dublin down don't stop kicking them untill there dead( and them take out a gun a shot them just incase) . that the basics. This is battle number one in a War.
“Common sense is not so common.”