2018 Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: 2018 Walsh Cup

Post by kaiserchief »

I don't fully understand your post.. is this the team you propose Kevin martin will start in the league.. Del Morkan is not in the team because he is injured but Conor Doughan who is also injured is on your starting 15?

There will be a lot of changes in Martin's team this week. A predict a few positional changes and introduction of experienced guys. I have to disagree about statement of Dooley and Bergin being in the one team.. If both have increased fitness level compared to the last few years, they would both certainly be able to start in the same team.. You have neither starting in your first 15.
I think the KK forwards will be a big part of Martins team.. Mahon and Currams for experience and Gerathys for workrate and ability..

Beat Westmeath Sunday, we will have a home game against Kilkeeny more than likely and will be Martin's main focus. The league game against Dublin in Croke Park is 27th, over three weeks away and I'd expect a starting team of players going well in training. this game will be treated like a championship game for us.. Martin has surely targeted Dublin Laois and Antrim as must wins. A win against Dublin would give confidence to the Limerick game.. As I said it's not for another 3 weeks..

I see maybe 10 changes from the team that started last week. Some postional and some new recruites
1. Slevin in for his chance
2. Coneely will keep his place
3. Shortt should be tried at full back
4. O Toole came on for rigney last day and will get a chance
5. Gardiner put to his best position
6. Dan Doughan will get another chance to show he can man the center
7. Camon.. quinn would get a start but he got injured last week
8. King midfield wont and shouldn't change
9. Damo Egan
10 Paddy Murphy.. i predict a new half forward line
11. Conor Mahon
12 Shane Kinsella
13 Oisin Kelly will be only forward I think not to be changes.. he is our biggest treat now
14 Shane Dooley or Joe Bergin
15 Dan Currams.. was away for christmas but is back now

Suns- Gath Egan Cleary, Thomas and Peter Gerathy Paddy Delaney Langton ( who also scored 2 points from play last week) Cahill Rigney Grogan Kiely Gorman Hughes

Seems the players still injured are Ryan Conor Doughan Del Morkan Derek Molloy and now Quinn

I dont think I'm leaving anyone out of what is the most up to date panel..

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I wouldn’t rule Jordan’s Quinn out for this week, he just got a tap to the head and drew a bit of blood but he should be back unless he picked up another injury along the way, good side you have there. We can’t complain about anything to do with players not showing a face this year because it’s the strongest panel Offaly will have for the past 10 years. Damien Fox there is a good coach and I think they will get it right and do the best that can be done and it’s up to players now to step up and be counted.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I would go with something like this with everyone fit :
1.E Cahill (his puckouts are the best )
2.O toole (purely because most of the others have struggled in this position bar Connelly)
3. Keily (hasn't done enough out the field to suggest he deserves to be out there and we need a full back obviously concerns over his graw for red cards!!!)
4. Connelly (all day long )
5. Ryan (physical and has experience
6. C.Doughan (needs to sit there and command )
7. Camon (good hurler slight concern over his pace)
8. Morkan (could be a good option)
9. Hughes ( a total gamble but might work)
10. Murphy ( have huge time for him)
11. Mahon (should do well there )
12. Kinsella (workrate )
13. Bergin (more of a danger from play than Dooley)
14. Egan (high ball but limited hurling)
15. Kelly (top forward)

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Kevin Martin and his Management Team have announced the Offaly starting 15 to play Westmeath in Teg Cusack Park on Sunday 7th January

1. Conor Slevin
2. David O'Toole
3. Sean Gardiner
4. Thomas Spain
5. Jordan Quinn
6. Daniel Doughan
7. Dermot Shortt
8. David King
9. Shane Kinsella
10. Damien Egan
11. Conor Mahon
12. Colin Egan
13. Colm Gath
14.Ciaran Cleary
15. Oisin Kelly

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I always felt Thomas Spain would have something to offer at County level not sure about corner back thought he played midfield.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

greenairfield wrote:I always felt Thomas Spain would have something to offer at County level not sure about corner back thought he played midfield.
I have heard word of challenge matches and in-house matches that took place and he has been hurling very well in them at corner back.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Who have we played in theae challenge matches you mention and how are we competing?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

DoingUntold wrote:Who have we played in theae challenge matches you mention and how are we competing?
Played Westmeath and Kildare. Beat both convincingly from what I have heard. You’d expect that too. A number of in-house games were played too. Colm Gath was called in to make up the numbers in a game and impressed and was kept on and has played the last two games.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Offaly v Kilkenny now on Saturday at Bord na Mona O'Connor Park at 2pm. (Offaly footballers playing Westmeath on Sunday).
@gaaleinster
Good Luck

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Anyone at the game today?
Anyone stand out? 4 pints down at HT to win by 3 a good turnaround.

Interesting to see what team Kk will field next weekend.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

We won, that’s the main thing.
Unfortunately we cannot win puckouts. We should’ve went short to the wing backs. Not one ball was pucked out to the terrace side in the first half. There was numerous times where Quinn was available. We were a bit over-reliant on Egan (Colin) to catch puckouts. Spreading balls to the wing-backs adds a bit more to our game. Do we have any real aerial ball winners? Oisín Kelly caught a couple on the right wing towards the end of the game. Should we play him out the field? I know that he hit 1-1 but other than the goal, he was quiet in the first half. I thought that he might have gotten the curly finger in the second half, as he remained quiet, however he came out on the right wing, and caught two great puckouts, scoring a point also. I thought that Colin Egan might have been put in FF in the second half with the wind, but I suppose he was needed to try and win puckouts.
Thomas Geraghty landed two majestic scores, I saw Peter in Banagher (last week, he was in the stand), is he injured?
I feel that Shortt is more at home closer to goals. Not that he’s bad out the field, just that he’s a quality full back.
The midfield did well when the game was flowing. Contributing 0-4 between King and Kinsella, with Geraghty landing 2 points also.
Dooley better with the frees, think he hit 6, possibly 7?
The penalty was never a penalty. I feel that it was a great hit, from my view it seemed shoulder to shoulder. Even if it was on target, I believe that Slevin had it covered.
Would’ve liked to see Cahill get a half in the goals. Maybe v Kilkenny.
Hoped Currams and Gorman would get longer time on the field. The latter is a potent aerial threat.
Also thought that we would see Hughes played. I was thinking, would Conneely be worth a punt in the forward line?

Also, would anyone know of Gary (Gazza) Kelly’s age? I’ve heard ranges from 27-32!
Last edited by LooseCannon on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

DoingUntold wrote:Anyone at the game today?
Anyone stand out? 4 pints down at HT to win by 3 a good turnaround.

Interesting to see what team Kk will field next weekend.
Very interesting. They’re all vying for places in that panel. There’s no guarantees for any of them, which makes it all the more dangerous. You should know the Gazza Kelly question. You’re a Rynaghs (wo)man, aren’t you? (I hope I’m not wrong)
Otherwise I’ll be left :oops:
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Gazza would be 30 or 31 by my calculation and not fit enough for county hurling. Has done well in club hurling over the last 2 or 3 seasons but is still not an option at county level.

Like state earlier, not pretty yesterday but good to get a win and another day out. I somehow think Martin will pick a team against Kilkenny that is going to start in croke park on the 27th..

I'd expect to see Dooley Currams and Thomas Gerathy to start the next day in the full forward line with Kelly in the half forward line with Egan and Mahon. Thomas Spain laid down a marker, did well when hurling as the extra man. Kinsella and King where excellent in midfield and might be the pairing for the year. Jordan Quinn held his own in the half back.. Still concern about Gardiner at 3 and Doughan at 6.. Shortt is not a wing back..

I agree with previous comment.. Cahill into the goals for the Kilkenny game.. why not?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:Gazza would be 30 or 31 by my calculation and not fit enough for county hurling. Has done well in club hurling over the last 2 or 3 seasons but is still not an option at county level.

Like state earlier, not pretty yesterday but good to get a win and another day out. I somehow think Martin will pick a team against Kilkenny that is going to start in croke park on the 27th..

I'd expect to see Dooley Currams and Thomas Gerathy to start the next day in the full forward line with Kelly in the half forward line with Egan and Mahon. Thomas Spain laid down a marker, did well when hurling as the extra man. Kinsella and King where excellent in midfield and might be the pairing for the year. Jordan Quinn held his own in the half back.. Still concern about Gardiner at 3 and Doughan at 6.. Shortt is not a wing back..

I agree with previous comment.. Cahill into the goals for the Kilkenny game.. why not?
Yeah, thought that Gazza would be 29-31. I know he’s not fit to start, but with some conditioning, could be a superb impact sub.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Not fit to start ???? Are ye joking me he has been the best club hurled over the last 3 years running rings around lads at midfield....Some of ye here really haven't a clue.