2018 Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: 2018 Walsh Cup

Post by substandard »

Birr v OCP is old news.
Step right up for Birr v Banagher!!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Says greenairfield :lol: :lol:
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

should be in OCP

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote:should be in OCP
Should Birr have a roof?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote:should be in OCP
Not taking away from Banagher as a venue, it should be a double header in OCP.
Genuine supporters of both codes given the two fingers.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I’d be pretty amazed if the OCP pitch could host both games this time of year to be honest.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There is no shame in any ground being unable to host a hurling match this week. Or this month. Or next month either. Or the month after that. I expect plenty of changes of venue throughout Ireland this weekend.

THE MADNESS MUST END. This is no time of the year to be hurling. Seriously. And fixing organised hurling matches for the Sunday (or whatever day it is) between Christmas and New Year is a new low for fixture makers and organisers and whatever they are. I shouldn’t need to explain why.

Time enough to start the league in early March. They can play their Welsh Cup and whatever else in February. Or whenever they like.

Bad enough that some fella looked at the calendar and saw a vacant date. The fella who replied “that’s a good idea” to the first eejit is even worse. Now, of course, all this is a result of the apparent need to move the hurling calendar forward a month. All so we could play a few rounds of club hurling in April instead of May as we do currently. If the same two eejits were in charge of Horse Racing Ireland, we'd have the flat season underway currently.

For much of the 1980s, 1990s and into the 2000s, radical ideas were sold to the public on the basis that the moves would ‘benefit weaker counties’. In the last decade or so, that mantra has changed – now, delegates and the greater public are swayed by ‘benefit club players’. What nonsense! In 2018, Offaly hurlers will play their last match of the year on the June Bank Holiday weekend. Before ever a cuckoo roars in this country. Madness!

No club player, or county player, benefits from an intercounty fixture in December. And with early club fixtures likely to be played on the last Sunday in March, cub players will be back training in scuttery conditions very soon.

Mad!

Crazy!

Lunacy!

Incidentally, I wonder was it the same eejit who thought that two teams in a round robin group was the way to go, and was it the same other eejit who told him that was a good idea?

(Finally, and by the way, I will give the fella who suggested, nay, demanded, a double header in December the benefit of the doubt that this is a pisstake on his part.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There is no shame in any ground being unable to host a hurling match this week. Or this month. Or next month either. Or the month after that. I expect plenty of changes of venue throughout Ireland this weekend.

THE MADNESS MUST END. This is no time of the year to be hurling. Seriously. And fixing organised hurling matches for the Sunday (or whatever day it is) between Christmas and New Year is a new low for fixture makers and organisers and whatever they are. I shouldn’t need to explain why.

Time enough to start the league in early March. They can play their Welsh Cup and whatever else in February. Or whenever they like.

Bad enough that some fella looked at the calendar and saw a vacant date. The fella who replied “that’s a good idea” to the first eejit is even worse. Now, of course, all this is a result of the apparent need to move the hurling calendar forward a month. All so we could play a few rounds of club hurling in April instead of May as we do currently. If the same two eejits were in charge of Horse Racing Ireland, we'd have the flat season underway currently.

For much of the 1980s, 1990s and into the 2000s, radical ideas were sold to the public on the basis that the moves would ‘benefit weaker counties’. In the last decade or so, that mantra has changed – now, delegates and the greater public are swayed by ‘benefit club players’. What nonsense! In 2018, Offaly hurlers will play their last match of the year on the June Bank Holiday weekend. Before ever a cuckoo roars in this country. Madness!

No club player, or county player, benefits from an intercounty fixture in December. And with early club fixtures likely to be played on the last Sunday in March, cub players will be back training in scuttery conditions very soon.

Mad!

Crazy!

Lunacy!

Incidentally, I wonder was it the same eejit who thought that two teams in a round robin group was the way to go, and was it the same other eejit who told him that was a good idea?

(Finally, and by the way, I will give the fella who suggested, nay, demanded, a double header in December the benefit of the doubt that this is a pisstake on his part.)
Sorry, my apologies. I meant to say double header in Tullamore football at 1, hurling at 3. One in O’BP, the other in O’CP.
I do come across as an idiot by times, I’ll admit that. I completely lost my trail of thought, and stupidly typed OCP.
My bad. I’m an eejit, I know.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Kevin Martin and his Management Team have announced the Offaly starting 15 to face Westmeath on Saturday 30th December at 2pm in Banagher in the opening Round of the Bord na Mona Walsh Cup

Saturday's Team

1. Conor Clancy (St Rynagh’s)
2. Paddy Rigney (Kinnitty)
3. Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4. Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
5. Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)
6. Dan Doughan (Shinrone)
7. Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
8. Damien Egan (Belmont)
9. Conor Molloy (Coolderry)
10. Colin Gath (Drumcullen)
11. Colin Egan (Belmont)
12. Ciarán Cleary (Shinrone)
13. Eoghan Cahill (Birr)
14. Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)
15. Oisín Kelly (Belmont)

Official Offaly GAA
Good Luck

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Birr is a kip of a so called gas ground,not fit for purpose.its embarrassing too try host county games there.tullamore is far more suitable in every way,time too move on from this idea that birr has this magical power for Offaly teams,bullshit .as I said its a kip ,end of !
great history hoping for a better future

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's December so what if a Walsh cup is moved because of the pitch get over it.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

A win is a win. We’ll take it.
Good performances from Gath, Gardiner and Damien Egan, who should have been on the county team for the past few years. Also Ciarán Cleary in the first half.
What age is Colin Gath?

A couple of poor frees from Dooley.
Very bad goal to concede.
The fact that we were 1-13 to 0-8 up(open to correction), and only won by two is disheartening.

Onwards and upwards.
Good Luck

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

What way do we see Sunday going? This was a relatively strong westmeath team which lined out on Saturday but naturally have a few to come back. From the Offaly side that lined out was probably as weak a side as could be put out and I don’t know what the status is with injuries and all the rest but Offaly could put out a different 15 on Sunday and be much stronger. I’d like to see a strong side put out with a mixture of youth. Maybe some of the K-K lads to come into the team like Jordan Quinn, Conor Mahon and Conor Slevin. I’d like to see the spine of Gardiner (who I thought was outstanding on Saturday) and Dan Doughan, Colin Egan at No 11 and Bergin at No 14, Damo Egan deserves another run in the middle of the field along with David King. Paddy Delaney was absent on Saturday and would like to see him included on Sunday. I could go on for days on players and positions to play in and all the rest. My question to any of ye on this... You have a full Offaly team at your disposal for the start of the league, what’s your starting 15?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I'm actually not 100% au fait (Is that how you spell it?) with the panel but maybe something along these lines:

1. Conor Slevin
2. Ben Conneely
3. Dermot Shortt
4. Paddy Rigney
5. Pat Camon
6. Conor Doughan
7. Paddy Delaney / Enda Grogan
8. David King
9. Shane Kinsella
10. Paddy Murphy
11. Conor Mahon
12. Colin Egan
13. Shane Dooley
14. Joe Bergin
15. Oisin Kelly

Would that be the biggest forward line Offaly ever sent out? All of those guys are surely over 6ft? With the exception of maybe Shane Dooley.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Seanie Ryan would slot in their surely?and Dan Currams

I seen Del Morkan on the sideline last Saturday indicating hes on the panel.

Am i foolish thinking we have a strong panel this year in comparison to previous years?

quote="frankthetank"]I'm actually not 100% au fait (Is that how you spell it?) with the panel but maybe something along these lines:

1. Conor Slevin
2. Ben Conneely
3. Dermot Shortt
4. Paddy Rigney
5. Pat Camon
6. Conor Doughan
7. Paddy Delaney / Enda Grogan
8. David King
9. Shane Kinsella
10. Paddy Murphy
11. Conor Mahon
12. Colin Egan
13. Shane Dooley
14. Joe Bergin
15. Oisin Kelly

Would that be the biggest forward line Offaly ever sent out? All of those guys are surely over 6ft? With the exception of maybe Shane Dooley.[/quote]