Leinster club championships 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Re: Leinster club championships 2017

Post by Observant 7 »

Ah Ref wrote:Top notch from all star, he's a great hurler that in no way should be exploited like that, whatever if it was part of a match report but to have a separate part of the paper target a player in such a horrible tone is too much, I'm not from kk but I'd hope the people of that parish would ask for a public apology from that tabloid newspaper, we can all have a view on things and that's healthy but you don't go and cut the back of any individual that gives his time free of charge to keep us entertained.
I agree with Ah Ref, any hurler or footballer or sports person should not have a newspaper reporter single him out because he got another Red on a day when playing against a physical team especially giving his time free of charge. We all know the commitment given by these lads. Kiley is one of Offaly's current best hurlers, needs to learn control on the pitch and we hope this will be a turning point for him but not an excuse for this article. Some Reporters do need to think twice before putting pen to paper.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Ah Ref wrote:Top notch from all star, he's a great hurler that in no way should be exploited like that, whatever if it was part of a match report but to have a separate part of the paper target a player in such a horrible tone is too much, I'm not from kk but I'd hope the people of that parish would ask for a public apology from that tabloid newspaper, we can all have a view on things and that's healthy but you don't go and cut the back of any individual that gives his time free of charge to keep us entertained.
Correct me if I’m wrong, and this is by no means a did at the club, or at your knowledge.
Are Kilcormac and Killoughey not two separate parishes, whose individual clubs amalgamated? I may be wrong but I think that’s why they were split for the local elections.

Completely wrong from Corrigan, who I’ve little time for.
Thinks he can name teams of the year when he’s at hardly any games throughout the year.
This has happened many a time, with glaring omissions, and questionable inclusions.
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It is one parish. They were separate teams in the past, but united in the 70's as Na Piarsaigh. KK were very successful at minor and U 21 level, and that success was the driver in their county senior titles from 2012.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

LooseCannon wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, and this is by no means a did at the club, or at your knowledge.
Are Kilcormac and Killoughey not two separate parishes, whose individual clubs amalgamated? I may be wrong but I think that’s why they were split for the local elections.

Completely wrong from Corrigan, who I’ve little time for.
Thinks he can name teams of the year when he’s at hardly any games throughout the year.
This has happened many a time, with glaring omissions, and questionable inclusions.
Kilcormac Killoughey are one Parish .they hurled separately up till the late 80s when kk was formed , they had huge success at underage in the 90s and guys like S Byrne have 5 or 6 u21 titles but it took till 2012 for them to win a senior title .
KK are probally offaly biggest hurling club at present and growing .They have such numbers at underage i guess the could field a Kilcormac team and a Killoughey team
I understand that KK are very upset over the tone of this article as is K Martin .
i hear KK and C Kiely have been contacted by most offaly hurling club and many club players expressing their support and horror at the tone of the article but spare a thought about poor A Sullivan who was also was a target in Corrigans article .
Both guys are giving of their time to club and county for free and give it everything ,yes they cross the line sometimes but that should be dealt with on the field and let them get on with their life.
Is this a new direction for our local paper ,tabloid style articles .
I only hope KK dont loose focus for next sunday .

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Is this article available online? I can't seem to find it. If there is a URL out there that points to it could someone put it up here please?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Kevin wrote:Is this article available online? I can't seem to find it. If there is a URL out there that points to it could someone put it up here please?
Not my paper, got it from twitter.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

allstar2010 wrote:Imagine that, one journalist sticking up for another.
Just to be clear, at no point did I say I said that I agreed with the tone of the article itself. I disagreed strongly when it was argued that Cillian Kiely has a good disciplinary record, and I disagreed when it was said that the job of a local journalist should be to write what the Offaly club involved would want them to write.

It doesn't automatically follow that I believe that the piece that should have been written. I'm only defending the journalist's right to write it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thx for posting this LC.

Unfortunate article.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

One single parish.

Which is why the club's name is more correctly punctuated with a hyphen (-) as opposed to a slash (/). The general convention is that a parish with a double barrel name is hyphenated, whereas two parishes joined together use a slash. So, to use some Galway examples, it is Meelick-Eyrecourt (one parish) but Kilnadeema/Leitrim (two parishes) and Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry (Abbey-Duniry is the one parish and Tynagh is a seperate parish). Hashtag just sayin'!
SearingDrive wrote:It is one parish. They were separate teams in the past, but united in the 70's as Na Piarsaigh. KK were very successful at minor and U 21 level, and that success was the driver in their county senior titles from 2012.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:One single parish.

Which is why the club's name is more correctly punctuated with a hyphen (-) as opposed to a slash (/). The general convention is that a parish with a double barrel name is hyphenated, whereas two parishes joined together use a slash. So, to use some Galway examples, it is Meelick-Eyrecourt (one parish) but Kilnadeema/Leitrim (two parishes) and Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry (Abbey-Duniry is the one parish and Tynagh is a seperate parish). Hashtag just sayin'!
SearingDrive wrote:It is one parish. They were separate teams in the past, but united in the 70's as Na Piarsaigh. KK were very successful at minor and U 21 level, and that success was the driver in their county senior titles from 2012.
I better get used to typing K-K so, as opposed to K/K.
Go raibh míle maith agat.
Good Luck

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Any chance we could go back to the game. Planning to go Sunday. Would be a great lift for the county if KK could come away with a win here.
Doon exile....

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Is Kiely's red card appeal tonight?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kaiserchief wrote:Is Kiely's red card appeal tonight?
Appeal will be heard tonight.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’ve gone through Cillian’s career since he made his Senior debut for Kilcormac-Killoughey when he came on in the 33rd minute of 2014’s first round against Seir Kieran. I’ve only got appearance data for the Offaly Senior championship (I don’t have Leinster club data). Cillian has made 27 appearances. (He missed a block in the middle of 2016’s group stages, someone might confirm if he was travelling, I can’t recall.)

He has not been sent off. His appearance / yellow cards are as follows –

2014:- 8 / 3
2015:- 7 / 0
2016:- 4 / 2
2017:- 8 / 2
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’ve gone through Cillian’s career since he made his Senior debut for Kilcormac-Killoughey when he came on in the 33rd minute of 2014’s first round against Seir Kieran. I’ve only got appearance data for the Offaly Senior championship (I don’t have Leinster club data). Cillian has made 27 appearances. (He missed a block in the middle of 2016’s group stages, someone might confirm if he was travelling, I can’t recall.)

He has not been sent off. His appearance / yellow cards are as follows –

2014:- 8 / 3
2015:- 7 / 0
2016:- 4 / 2
2017:- 8 / 2
I think he was travelling. I think I recall Éamon(n) Kelly saying that he was gone travelling. I may be wrong though, open to correction.
Good Luck