2018 NFL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
first_touch
All Star

Re: 2018 NFL

Post by first_touch »

I totally agree SD it was crazy leaving it that late to call off the match. Surely the pitch was unplayable at 8.30 this morning and there was no prospect of any great improvement in the weather. How come the games at Sligo, Iniskeen and Cavan - all less northerly venues - could be postponed with reasonable notice, but not Derry? Sounds to me that whoever is responsible has a case to answer, putting Offaly players, management and supporters to such trouble and expense.
A sliver lining could be that the postponement gives Offaly more time to regroup after two poor performances,
Is it likely that the re-fixture will be next weekend?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

first_touch wrote:I totally agree SD it was crazy leaving it that late to call off the match. Surely the pitch was unplayable at 8.30 this morning and there was no prospect of any great improvement in the weather. How come the games at Sligo, Iniskeen and Cavan - all less northerly venues - could be postponed with reasonable notice, but not Derry? Sounds to me that whoever is responsible has a case to answer, putting Offaly players, management and supporters to such trouble and expense.
A sliver lining could be that the postponement gives Offaly more time to regroup after two poor performances,
Is it likely that the re-fixture will be next weekend?
Probably the alternate day to the Hurling, yes.
The CB should be on to Croke Park for accommodation costs, transport, etc.

In my opinion, a refixture of a postponement due to weather should be held at a nuetral venue.
I think LS said something similar on Twitter if I remember correctly.
Good Luck

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

summerindublin wrote:is cian o'donoghue injured

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

He's got a fractured thumb

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Thanks to First Touch and Loose Cannon for comments. Games in Cavan, Inniskeen, and Sligo were called off on morning of game. I can't see why Derry could not have said to Offaly Saturday night that match might be off due to weather, and would confirm on Sunday morning following a pitch inspection. Looking at the weather forecast Saturday night, the lowest temperatures were in the Donegal/ Derry and Ulster areas with the likelihood of snow.
Stephen Wallace said it was only suitable for snowmen, and the whole situation re postponements should be examined.
Himself and Brendan Kealy faced a return journey to Kerry after a wasted trip to Derry.

It seemed Derry decided to let Offaly travel the long journey, and then decide the game was off, not good enough. If it was Dublin or Kerry a decision would have been made much earlier.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

SearingDrive wrote:A number of league games were called off this weekend due to the weather conditions. It never seems to end does it?

Offaly's game with Derry was called off, but only at1 pm, when the Offaly team and a few hardy supporters had already arrived. Given the weather forecast why not make a decision this morning, following a pitch inspection, like other games.

Offaly manager Stephen Wallace said the only activity suitable for the pitch was a snowball competition, and that the process of calling off the match at a late hour should be examined.

Offaly players, management and supporters set off on an wasted 4-5 hour journey, and had to turn around again for the homeward trip. It is not good enough, surely Derry GAA board could have made an earlier call on the match.

Love to hear what people think.
I hope the county board but in a request to Croke Park for some contribution towards the overnight stay in Derry. The CB will hardly be able to afford to have the team stay overnight again if the refixture is this weekend?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

NewEra wrote:
SearingDrive wrote:A number of league games were called off this weekend due to the weather conditions. It never seems to end does it?

Offaly's game with Derry was called off, but only at1 pm, when the Offaly team and a few hardy supporters had already arrived. Given the weather forecast why not make a decision this morning, following a pitch inspection, like other games.

Offaly manager Stephen Wallace said the only activity suitable for the pitch was a snowball competition, and that the process of calling off the match at a late hour should be examined.

Offaly players, management and supporters set off on an wasted 4-5 hour journey, and had to turn around again for the homeward trip. It is not good enough, surely Derry GAA board could have made an earlier call on the match.

Love to hear what people think.
I hope the county board but in a request to Croke Park for some contribution towards the overnight stay in Derry. The CB will hardly be able to afford to have the team stay overnight again if the refixture is this weekend?

Croke Park ought to cover all the expenses.
It’s our CB. Like it or not, they’re seen as notoriously stringent.
They should have another overnight stay in Ulster, if they’re to prepare properly.
I actually think that the team stayed in Donegal. Even if Croke Park don’t fully reimburse the CB, presuming that they return to the same hotel, they should get it for either nothing, have the Derry CB foot the rest of the bill for their shenanigans, or get a massive reduction in the cost of the accommodation.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote:Thanks to First Touch and Loose Cannon for comments. Games in Cavan, Inniskeen, and Sligo were called off on morning of game. I can't see why Derry could not have said to Offaly Saturday night that match might be off due to weather, and would confirm on Sunday morning following a pitch inspection. Looking at the weather forecast Saturday night, the lowest temperatures were in the Donegal/ Derry and Ulster areas with the likelihood of snow.
Stephen Wallace said it was only suitable for snowmen, and the whole situation re postponements should be examined.
Himself and Brendan Kealy faced a return journey to Kerry after a wasted trip to Derry.

It seemed Derry decided to let Offaly travel the long journey, and then decide the game was off, not good enough. If it was Dublin or Kerry a decision would have been made much earlier.
To be fair, the Iniskeen one was called late enough, albeit nowhere near as late as ours.
I think it was at 10 that it was called off at. The other two games were called off ASAP that morning.
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

LooseCannon wrote:
SearingDrive wrote:Thanks to First Touch and Loose Cannon for comments. Games in Cavan, Inniskeen, and Sligo were called off on morning of game. I can't see why Derry could not have said to Offaly Saturday night that match might be off due to weather, and would confirm on Sunday morning following a pitch inspection. Looking at the weather forecast Saturday night, the lowest temperatures were in the Donegal/ Derry and Ulster areas with the likelihood of snow.

To be fair, the Iniskeen one was called late enough, albeit nowhere near as late as ours.
I think it was at 10 that it was called off at. The other two games were called off ASAP that morning.
True. Kerry were annoyed at the timing, some fans made a weekend of it. Monaghan still made the call much earlier than Derryat 12.30 pm. I heard it on RTE 1 Sport at 2pm yesterday. Time to prepare for the refixture.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Offaly v Derry game which was called of late yesterday will now take place this coming Sunday at 2pm in Celtic Park, Derry

What a load of boll*cks. Same day and time as the Hurling. The CB should insist on different days for our Hurling and Football matches. There are many who would happily go to both. In saying that, the football is in Derry, which might put people off due to the travel, but still, there are diehards that would go to both.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Stephen Wallace and his Management Team have named their Offaly panel to play Derry on Sunday 18th Feb at 2pm in Celtic Park in the re-fixture of the 3rd Round of the Allianz National Football League

1. Barry Rohan (Shannonbridge)
2. Declan Hogan (Tullamore)
3. Paul McConway (Tullamore)
4. David Brady (Edenderry)
5. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
6. Sean Pender (Edenderry)
7. Niall Darby (Rhode)
8. Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh)
9. Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10. Bobby O'Dea (Durrow)
11. Michael Brazil (Tullamore)
12. Shane Nally (Ferbane)
13. Bernard Allen (Tubber)
14. Anton Sullivan (Rhode)
15. Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks)
16. Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island)
17. Shane Tierney (Daingean)
18. Joseph O'Connor (St. Rynagh's)
19. Craig Dunne (Gracefield)
20. Jordan Hayes (Edenderry)
21. Patrick Dunican (Shamrocks)
22. James Lalor (Raheen)
23. Sean Doyle (Edenderry)
24. Conor Carroll (Raheen)
25. Jack Egan (Ferbane)
26. Eoin Carroll (Cappincur)

I’m delighted he’s back.

Note also that Dunican is listed as an outfield sub.
Johnson involved with schools team.
Good Luck

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

First of all it is great to see Eoin Carroll back in contention. On the Dunican outfield point. If I’m not mistaken I’ve seen Barry Rohan listed as an outfield sub in games gone by. I think he’s only in the matchday squad to make up the 26 man panel. I’m not really sure what to say about this game. Disaster against Longford and slight improvement against Fermanagh so what does Sunday bring?

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

where J Maloney, hes not on the subs?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

If lads don’t want to commit to play with their county team that’s fine but why they baw baw on SM is beyond me. Just go! #liveinthe99%

Tweet from Stephen Wallace- @StephenWal14

??
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:If lads don’t want to commit to play with their county team that’s fine but why they baw baw on SM is beyond me. Just go! #liveinthe99%

Tweet from Stephen Wallace- @StephenWal14

??
It appears that it was about Paddy O’Rourke on retiring from IC Football with Meath.
Good Luck