2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by greenairfield »

Both were giving a chance Peter even in a championship game and wasn't up to it.
Mullins didn't start for galway but if he was from Offaly he sure as hell would.

I like the Gerathys but please don't put them up against other lads from other stronger counties cos they don't hold up against them.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I never heard of John Paul Lucey (Shamrocks, Waterford) or David Gleeson (Ballinahinch, Tipperary) either fir their respective counties in the championship.

I think it would be more if the Gerathys where from Munster and went to UL or even better if they went to college in Dublin they would make it. I would consider them to be a lot stronger hurlers than Padraig Guinan and Johny O Toole who both played for UCD.

My point was Munster GAA looks after Munster colleges, appointing munster managers and with 4 or 5 colleges in Fitzgibbon from Munster it doesn't give Offaly lads a fair chance...

*On a side note a was very impressed with Thomas Gerathy this year for KK when I seen him and was excellent last week too.. I know its early and all that but I would have him in the corner of my best Offaly 15..

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

In reply to the discussion on UL fitzgibbon. I watch a lot of games at that level and know a few lads involved. Training and commitment also needs to be factored in. From what I saw last year, neither Geraghtys were good enough. Either were Quirke and David King in years prior to that. There is not a Munster bias, there are just more players from Munster there! Offaly have a low percentage of school leavers attending college which does not help. Brian Lohan and Davy Fitz have enough pressures in those jobs to be acting like cheerleaders for their own county men.

As an aside, would it not be in those Clare mens interest to be ignoring Tipp hurlers who because you have never heard of, should not be there!!!
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

That was my point Munster GAA, Munster Board with Munster scolarships..

Leinster GAA give scolarships but there is only two colleges at Fitzgibbon level and limits the choice.

No if your any college manager and you have John McGrath (Tipp) you will play him. He would be on a full scolarship and this is depending if his county managers wants him playing fitzgibbon also. Have seen the situation where this occurs also.

The manager factor comes when you are picking the remainder of your team or panel... Just say 5 places left on your panel and you are from Clare, these lads are all county hurlers, so are the Gerathys, Oisin Kelly, no just picking out them.. just an offaly hurler.. who do you think has a better chance.

That was my point about Fitzgibbon.. A lot of politics in the background and our hurlers not getting a fair chance.. it's a matter of your opinion if they are good enough but all these lads can hurl and yes i think the gerathys were (they finished now) good to play fitz for UL... thats my opinion..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fitzgibbon teams are under massive pressure to win. They do not care where you are from as long as you are good enough .

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Yeah KC you wrong on that big time.
Carlow IT for example have guys from meath, kerry laois it doesn't matter once your good enough.

Heard oisin kelly is highly regarded by Davy in lit so your argument doesn't stand up.

The gerathys didn't make the fitzgibbion in UL cos they simply were not good enough..remember only a few years ago Brian Carroll Dooley and Mick Verney all struggled to make the UL team simply because of the talent they had at there disposal.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

greenairfield wrote: Carlow IT for example have guys from meath, kerry laois it doesn't matter once your good enough.
Well you first statement proves my point.. Carlow It mostly made up of Meath Laois and Kilkenny which are all in Leinster.. Leinster GAA scholarships in Carlow IT which is mostly made up of Leinster.. There is one Kerry player and a few Waterford which is a stone throw away.. There is talk of Waterford IT and Carlow IT linking together to make a university.. I'd say they will stay separate teams..

greenairfield wrote: Brian Carroll Dooley and Mick Verney all struggled to make the UL team simply because of the talent they had at there disposal.
This was is 2011.. Brian Caroll and Dooley played wing forwards all year.. Dooley was the free taker and got sent off in semi final.. Dooley was 25 doing a post grad and a mature student.. Carroll was 28 (with 10 years inter county experience)and I think he was lecturing in UL. Gerathys are 23 and where full time students.. This isn't comparable.

This has been blown way out.. I still think I have a point that is is hard for Offaly players to make fitzgibbon teams where there is Munster GAA scholarships and Munster based management.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Your argument doesn't stand up.
Oisin kelly will be on the Fitz team this year for lit, Emmet Nolan was in or around the team 3 or 4 years ago for UL.

If your good enough they will hurl you they don't owe munster players anything.

Scholarships there would be only a couple of players on them not the whole team.

Why not look at it that they are coming up against established minor and u21 hurlers who are hurling at a much higher level for stronger counties, and our players are behind.

The gerathys are quite small in stature which probably first help there case.

Also there is lads from Tipperary playing for carlow IT also.

lovelyhurling
County player

Post by lovelyhurling »

kaiserchief wrote:That was my point Munster GAA, Munster Board with Munster scolarships..

Leinster GAA give scolarships but there is only two colleges at Fitzgibbon level and limits the choice.
There are 5 Leinster representatives in this years fitzgibbon! DCU, Trinity, DIT, UCD and IT Carlow. True, there are a number of grants given out by Munster GAA giving scholarships to Munster players. Their main scholarship programme ran by Bank of Ireland is open to every county. Our players are just not good enough. The pressures on the management are huge, they cant afford to be biast. I hear Oisin Kelly is highly regarded. I could be wrong on this but wasnt he a first year last year so couldnt play Fitzgibbon.

lovelyhurling
County player

Post by lovelyhurling »

kaiserchief wrote:
This was is 2011.. Brian Caroll and Dooley played wing forwards all year.. Dooley was the free taker and got sent off in semi final.. Dooley was 25 doing a post grad and a mature student.. Carroll was 28 (with 10 years inter county experience)and I think he was lecturing in UL. Gerathys are 23 and where full time students.. This isn't comparable.
Dooley was in a Postgrad but was a full time student. Postgrad Teachers have more classroom contact time than undergrad teachers. They did struggle to start at times, Carroll didnt start one or two of the games that year.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Thanks lovely hurling.

Your right kelly was a fresher last year so was unavailable for fitz.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

private joker wrote:Fitzgibbon teams are under massive pressure to win. They do not care where you are from as long as you are good enough .
I couldn't agree more. A lot of nonsense being spouted here about Offaly players being discriminated against.
I see it a different way. Because of our low standard now, our better young players are playing senior too early. As a result they are not able to commit to both Fitzgibbon and county. They usually choose county rather than fighting to make a fitz team. For stronger counties, the fitzgibbon is a great brreding ground to nurture talented young players, preparing them for the step up to topflight inter county hurling.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Cahill played in goal for Mary I today.
Hardiman from Kinnitty at wing back.
Colm Mulrooney from Birr on the bench for ITC.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

2 players on the Fitzgibbon team going for 3 in a row, considering our poor representation at this level, is a good news story.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Hardiman although named at number 5 did not play for Mary I today. Fitzgibbon teams generally use squad numbers for the duration of the tournament.