2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by Killeighman »

Kevin Martin and his Management Team Damian Fox and Aidan Hanrahan have selected their starting 15 to play Dublin in the opening Round of the Allianz National Hurling League on Saturday at 5pm in Croke Park

1 Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
2 Thomas Spain (Brosna Gaels)
3 Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4 Ben Conneely (St Rynaghs)
5 Patrick Delaney (Kinnitty)
6 Patrick Camon (St Rynaghs)
7 Dermot Shortt (St Rynaghs)
8 David King (Coolderry)
9 Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
10 Joseph Bergin (Seir Kieran)
11 Colin Egan (Belmont)
12 Damien Egan (Belmont)
13 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)
14 Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
15 Daniel Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Dublin line up not that strong. Offaly have an opportunity here to win. Dublin will be far stronger later in the year.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

DUBLIN:
1. Alan Nolan
2. Paddy Smyth
3. Bill O'Carroll
4. Cian Hendriken
5. Shane Barrett
6. Cian McBride
7. Chris Crummey
8. Johnny McCaffrey
9. Tom Connolly
10. Donal Burke
11. Fergal Whitely
12. Ronan Smyth
13. Alan Moore
14. Paul Winters
15. Fionn O'Riain Broin

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I presume that Damien Egan will be on frees, or will it be Bergin?
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

O'Connell school Car Park, Nth Circular Road, adjacent to Croke Park, will offer a reduce rate of €5 for Hurling PATRONS, if they arrive Before 5pm this Saturday

@Offaly_GAA - Twitter
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A look at the Dublin team. Very very few involved who won any of the four Leinster U21s they won in the last decade, or who played in the two Minor All-Irelands. They can't all be playing football or club tied with Cuala either.

This year's Walsh Cup team has actually had a consistent look about it, particularly the defence and midfield.

1. Alan Nolan (St Brigid's): Played in the recent Walsh Cup matches against Meath and Wexford. Was sub to Gary Maguire for over a decade.

2. Paddy Smyth (Clontarf): Right full-back in the three recent Walsh Cup games. Full-back and captain of the 2016 Lenster winning Minor hurlers.

3. Bill O'Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes): Full-back in each of the three recent Walsh Cup games. Was right corner-back on the 2011 Leinster U21 final win over Wexford.

4. Cian Hendricken (Naomh Mearnóg): Left corner-back in the recent Walsh Cup games against Meath and Antrim, was centre half-back against Wexford. Corner-back in the 2015 Leinster Minor Final when Dublin lost to Kilkenny by two points; won a Leinster U21 at left corner-back against Offaly in 2016. Full-back on the DIT team.

5. Shane Barrett (Na Fianna): Right half-back in each of the three recent Walsh Cup games. Right corner-back in the 2013 All-Ireland Minor final replay defeat to Tipperary; full-back on the 2014 Minors, won a Leinster U21 at right half-back against Offaly in 2016

6. Cian McBride (St Vincent's): A first-half sub for Shane Barrett in the Walsh Cup exit to Wexford.

7. Chris Crummey (Lucan Sarsfields): Left half-back in each of the recent Walsh Cup games. Right half-back on the 2011 Minor team that lost the All-Ireland final to Galway.

8. John McCaffrey (Lucan Sarsfields): Midfield in each of this year’s Walsh Cup games. Needs no introduction

9. Tomás Connolly (St Vincent’s): Midfield in each of the recent Walsh Cup games. Was full-forward on the 2-11 Leinster U21 final win over Wexford

10. Donal Burke (Na Fianna): Started in the Walsh Cup against Wexford. Midfield on the 2014 Minors, full-forward on the 2015 Minors, midfield on the 2016 Leinster winning Minor hurlers. On the DCU Fitzgibbon team this year.

11. Fergal Whitely (Kilmacud Crokes): started in the Walsh cup against Meath and Wexford. Right half-forward on the 2015 Minors that lost the Leinster Final to Kilkenny.

12. Ronan Smith (Lucan Sarsfields)

13. Alan Moore (St Vincent’s): Started each of this year’s Walsh Cup games.

14. Paul Winters (St Brigid's): Started each of this year’s Walsh Cup games. played in the 2011 and 2012 All-Ireland Minor final defeats to Galway & Tipperary respectively.

15. Fionn Ó Riain Broin (St Jude’s):Started in the Walsh Cup against Meath. left half-back on the 2013 Dublin Minors, was fourth sub to come on in the 2016 U21 Leinster final against Offaly. Freetaker for his club and for Trinity College.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Best wishes to Kevin Martin and the team tonight.

Let's git 'em!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Following this on twitter: great stuff so far!! Dubmatchtracker naming every scorer, sub, card etc: keep 'er lit to the end!!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Great win

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Fantastic Result some fantastic scores, full of determination and passion.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Lads wanting to play for the county, fitness as good as other teams.
Big well done to Kevin Martin and the team. Fills you with confidence for the year ahead even at this early stage.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I listened to Radio 3's commentary. Terrific win by Offaly, they were dominant all through the game, and 2-25 is a great score. Kevin Martin has had a positive start, and well done to him and his management team. Offaly hurlers seem to have
responded very well, and hopefully we can look forward to better days ahead.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Great result. What I have looked for in an Offaly team over the last few years is an improvement and tonight we finally got it.

I would still have to say we are still probably a good bit away from the top 6 or 7 teams but if we get competing with Dublin again it's an improvement.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

It's a while since I've posted here and in a sense I'd fallen out of love with Offaly hurling especially after the defensive game imposed upon us by Kevin Ryan last year which flew in the face of everything that Offaly hurling stands for. His comment in the week leading up to the qualifier game against Waterford when he spoke of hoping that we avoided a hammering was unacceptable and I shed no tears when he bailed out.

I watched the Dublin game tonight on Eir Sport and it was fantastic to see an Offaly hurling team showing spirit, determination, physical presence and skill in abundance. Thanks to Pat Nolan on twitter I see that it was the hurlers first win in Croke Park since 2005 (championship relegation play-off semi-final v Antrim) and our first league win at Croke Park since the 1991 final v Wexford.

I know that no of us will get carried away with a result in January against a Dublin team with something like 9 players making their NHL debuts but it was very satisfying to be competitive and roll back the years on a ground where we have witnessed such great days in the past.

Anyway it makes the league more interesting with 3 home games to come against Limerick, Laois and Antrim and of course it means that Dublin will no doubt be waiting in the long grass when we travel to Parnell Park for our final Leinster championship game on 3rd June.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Firstly, excellent win.
Hopefully the first of many.
We’ve 2 very winnable Home games v Antrim and Leix.
Limerick to a lesser extent, but we seem to do very well against them, whenever we do play them.

Secondly, I found a tweet by Will O’Callaghan, of radio 3 stating that we’ve 40 players on the panel.
I’m not doubting this, but it would be interesting to see a list of players on the panel, not only the match-day 26.

For instance Kiely, Grogan, etc.
Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/willocallaghan/stat ... 0712837120

Here’s the 26 from today, photo from Joe Troy on Twitter.

To clarify, unfortunately couldn’t go to Croker, as much as I’d have loved to.
Watched on Eir Sport.
Will give my thoughts when I’m not as tired as I am currently.
Good Luck