2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by kingscounty »

I echo what Bracknaghboy says, the defenders were outstanding fighting for the whole game conceding no goals and very few goal chances if any. Listening to Kevin Martin after the game he has great belief in the players, their attitude and work rate but also he has believes we have the hurlers to compete. Observing this game and the Limerick game, Limerick were a far bigger side than Kilkenny and I thought we match Kilkenny with hurling , while against Limerick I think we were out muscled by a stronger team but I suppose been down a man didn’t help either. It to felt great to watch the crowd appauld the team at the end for their efforts, I hope we travel to all the games in big numbers we need to do our part and support the effort the players have and will still put in.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

This time last year. We were after getting Hammer by Tipperary Offaly 3-13 Tipperary 4-28.
Our Manager was talking about rebuilding and players lack of commitment. He was using a sweeper and we as Fans were watching through our fingers and wondering if we would or could ever improve.

11 months and 2 weeks later we sitting here after running Kilkenny all the way down to the wire. We are playing Hurling not shit. Our forward are working hard and that helping our defence.
This is what Offaly hurling is about. Trying using the ball effectively and fighting like dogs.
Our Manager talking about Winning ever game.
The League was good for us this year. BUT NO RESTING ON OUR LAURELS.
WE NEED TO STEP UP AGAIN FOR THE1st GAME.

I want to pick out Mahon for his hard work in the games. he puts his body, balls, Head and any other body part on the line for us every time he take the field. A Warrior. If we want to product Hurlers, His commitment and Work rate is the standard needed. Other Hurlers have step up a lot over the league but his the outstanding player. No point in having Lovely Hurlers who disappear in a battle. Mahon Biggest assets is his tackling for a guy that hits like a train he give away every few frees.
The find of the League is Spain. Stepped up no problem.

Whatever Happens between now and the end of September. I've love the hurling we played, I've loved the hard work the forwards have put in.
We come so far in 11 months. Give up another few month together and ....

AS Coady said
We are in the league semi-final now, which is progress because after the first two games, we weren't being tipped at all to come this far. It has been good application by the players and a good response. It was really, really a fierce battle and if the attitude was less than what it was, we wouldn't have won the game. Offaly are going to be a serious threat to anyone in the championship."
"

Edit: Cause I'm too stupid to spell commitment correctly 1st time. sorry.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

With a few minutes to go, I was weighing up the merits of a pitch invasion, had Offaly got over the line. It wasn't to be and maybe the team is better off without too much hype at this point. Dublin in Parnell Park is this year's All Ireland. Banish Dublin to the Joe McDonagh Cup for 2019 and the championship system will be back on the drawing board.

This to me was traditional Offaly hurling at its finest. Intelligent use of the ball, efficiency in moving it and patience in forcing turnovers. Not beating every sliotar out of the way as soon as possible, as some people claim and worse still, some people coach.

Shane Dooley's point at the start of second half was close to hurling perfection. A couple of accurate bullet stick passes from defence to attack and a catch, swivel and strike in one fluid movement to send it over.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Hmmmm. So it seems Offaly were the only team to give Kilkenny a game in the knockout stages of the league. Lets hope players and management are aware of this and go into Leinster in confident mood.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Anyone hear the hurlers out this weekend against Waterford?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

DoingUntold wrote:Anyone hear the hurlers out this weekend against Waterford?
Didn’t go ahead for some reason. They were training this morning in Kilcormac.
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Going ahead on Tuesday night in OCP- probably be played behind close doors as Waterford tend to not allow public access to their challenge matches.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Apparently playing Waterford Tuesday, Clare on Friday and Cork the week after.

3 great challenge games to get before Championship.

Results not important here, getting your team for Championship is.