2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
shamlads
Junior A

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by shamlads »

why cant we get carried away?aint have had much to crow about for past ages.and fair play to duignan,no shame in admitting having a tear in your eye,nothing wrong with having passion for your county.i listened in on midlands and i'll tell ye it has been a long long time since i heard a com like that with offaly involved.it was absolutely wonderful.and all i'd be looking for against limerick is a performance.let it be a defeat(hopefully not),but just to fight for everything and eachother to the bitter end.not to drop the heads,like their attitude v dub when they got the goal,offaly drove on,that was great compared to previous matches.and all the guys should be very proud of the performance.the whole thing now is to build on it.I would like to think that this could be a turning point in offalys fortunes.and why the hell cant it be?they made my weekend,and a tipp defeat topped it off.ha

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

anyone have any inside on the injury list and when they be available.

Lads like Cillian Kiely, Derek Molloy, Sean Ryan, Del Morkan, Paddy Murphy, Conor Doughan, James Gorman, Derek Molloy, Peter Gerathy. See a lot of them with the squad in Croker but not on the 26.

Also seen UCD beat CIT last night and into the quarter final. Podge Guinan hurled at 7 and is captain in a team that has a lot of well known names and even an all star. He is surely on Martins radar.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:anyone have any inside on the injury list and when they be available.

Lads like Cillian Kiely, Derek Molloy, Sean Ryan, Del Morkan, Paddy Murphy, Conor Doughan, James Gorman, Derek Molloy, Peter Gerathy. See a lot of them with the squad in Croker but not on the 26.

Also seen UCD beat CIT last night and into the quarter final. Podge Guinan hurled at 7 and is captain in a team that has a lot of well known names and even an all star. He is surely on Martins radar.
There’s an interview near enough the start of the We Are Offaly podcast. Kiely is mentioned, as is Murphy, think Ryan is.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-362119749/episode-12
Good Luck

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

kaiserchief wrote:anyone have any inside on the injury list and when they be available.

Morkan couldn’t be to far away. If I recall correctly he was on the 26 for the Walsh Cup semi final against Kilkenny. Paddy Murphy is back doing a bit of running I believe after hamstring injuries. Derek Molloy was no expected to feature until the last two rounds of the league. As for the others I don’t know. James Gorman obviously picked up a knock recently did he? Or did he just not make the 26 for Saturday?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The win vs Dublin was a good win. Dublin were very weak in hindsight, still I thought Dublin would win that game. Offaly were 13 points a better team and Dublin were there to be hammered and Offaly did that. Does it change anything long term? No. But what it does do is give a bit of hope for a brighter day and give development squads and clubs in the county a little pick me up. Beat limerick and your looking at promotion which was unheard of last year and last 5 years.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote:The win vs Dublin was a good win. Dublin were very weak in hindsight, still I thought Dublin would win that game. Offaly were 13 points a better team and Dublin were there to be hammered and Offaly did that. Does it change anything long term? No. But what it does do is give a bit of hope for a brighter day and give development squads and clubs in the county a little pick me up. Beat limerick and your looking at promotion which was unheard of last year and last 5 years.
Only the top team go up, methinks.
Galway still have to get their act together, according to a friend of mine. Apparently a couple of them were in America, presumably on the tear!
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Also, saw this on Twitter.
https://t.co/uOtJeGrRQ6
Tweeted by POTH.
I wasn’t sure where to put it.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:Also, saw this on Twitter.
Tweeted by POTH.
As things stand Offaly are still odds on to be relegated out of Leinster this year if we are being honest. We may need Kerry to come to the rescue by winning the McDonagh cup resulting in no relegation from Leinster. Even if Offaly avoid relegation this year (thanks to Kerry or by winning a group game or two), the likelihood is we will be relegated at some point in the 3 years experiment. Nobody should have the right to tell Offaly we can't participate in the Leinster Championship but external team Galway can.
Ultimately, the GPA and subscription television channels that now run the GAA don't want Offaly or any of the other counties who are not what they call "competitive" around as it interferes with their professional sales packages hense the push to isolate them. Speaking of the GPA, anyone hear why that snake Earley has sliddered away from the 6 figure a year hot seat?

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Tweeted by POTH.
Brilliant article by Martin Brehony - a man mocked betimes on this forum. It's ridiculous that there is one standard for Munster teams in the new championship format and a different one for 'Leinster' teams. Well done to Brehony for highlighting this in the wake of Offaly's demolition of Dublin last weekend.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sorry, first_touch, I'm not having a go at you, but I wouldn't be going 'poor Martin'. Martin's track record speaks for itself.

What is ridiculous is that it has taken until now for Martin to highlight this issue. The 2018 championship structures were voted on last October (I think, not exactly sure), and they were in the pipeline for a good six months before that (because I recall pointing out the importance of Offaly's win in Mullingar last May because it more or less assured Offaly's place in the 2018 Leinster championship, were the proposed structures to be passed.

There wasn't a peep out of Martin then. And there wasn't a peep out of Martin when Laois and Westmeath were excluded from the 2018 Leinster championship. No. Rather, Martin was quite pleased with himself. The extra matches gives him and his kind something to write about. The big selling point for the new structures was that they gave the Connacht Cuckoos two home matches in 2018's Leinster championship. Martin doesn't give one shyte about Offaly hurling. Or Laois, or Westmeath hurling either

No, Martin's reaction at this stage is purely reactionary. As will his reaction be entirely reactionary when a Munster team is eliminated despite winning two matches and/or is eliminated on scoring difference. It WILL happen. He knows precisely nothing about hurling, and he knows and cares not a jot for grassroots activities. I see, in another article, Martin (though written in the first person of Cyril Farrell) takes issue with the hurling league starting in January. But why didn't he make it an issue when the structures were being mooted? Too preoccupied with promoting soccer in Croke Park, and with bringing the rugby world cup to a GAA ground near you some October, when your county could have to delay a county final because your county ground is wanted to host Fiji v Japan.
first_touch wrote:Brilliant article by Martin Brehony - a man mocked betimes on this forum. It's ridiculous that there is one standard for Munster teams in the new championship format and a different one for 'Leinster' teams. Well done to Brehony for highlighting this in the wake of Offaly's demolition of Dublin last weekend.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

first_touch wrote:
Tweeted by POTH.
Brilliant article by Martin Brehony - a man mocked betimes on this forum. It's ridiculous that there is one standard for Munster teams in the new championship format and a different one for 'Leinster' teams. Well done to Brehony for highlighting this in the wake of Offaly's demolition of Dublin last weekend.
The Championship is a long way off. Martin is entitled to his say. ( for a change I agree with what he written.)
I more upset that Offaly have to play 4 Weeks in ago than the format, but the format is designed to get rid of Offaly, Westmeath, Carlow and Laois. Cause progress in these county are not important.
The only way to change that attitude is to make sure that it not Offaly that are going down.

But that's for another day, Focus should only be on Sunday not on anything else.
Beating a team that CAN"T BE Demoted. Will focus the Mind of other county to the bullshit system that they put in place.

Offaly Management, Team and Supporters should only be focus on get a performance on Sunday. Let People see the system in fault themselves.
The Biffo's are go to War and Sunday is Battle Number 2. We had a good win in Battle 1 but it done, it's Battle 2 we need to be ready. Let inflicted 20 Mean, Nastly, Strong Biffo's warriors onto Limerick.
“Common sense is not so common.”

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

T
Last edited by frankthetank on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I see that David King has been named captain for the year. Best of luck to him. A great honour.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

The players need to be ultra careful with discipline on Sunday. Sean Cleere is the most useless ref on the intercounty circuit these days and is likely to do anything.
Encourage as many as you can to get to Tullamore Sunday. Be great to see 4,000 or so there, the players and management deserve to see great support after the lift they've given the whole county this week.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Pity it's not in Birr Boy we would have a great crowd