2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great win. Offaly showed the qualities that we long to see. Physically tough without the ball. Playing heads up, smart hurling with the ball.
For those of us who've grown weary of aimless 'hit and hope' hurling of previous regimes, this was a real tonic.

The best example was this. In the last few years when faced with a sweeper or spare defender, Offaly's aimless ballooning invariably ended up being gobbled up the extra man. Last night, Offaly either shot from distance to bypass him, or put a properly placed ball down on Conor Mahon on the edge of the square to put the full back in trouble.

Physically the players looked strong. There was a lot of trust among the players. Everyone didn't pile into each ruck, but trusted their colleague to sort it out. The short stick and hand passes were well executed.

It was also an occasion that will be appreciated by some of the players who have soldiered under previous regimes where they can't have enjoyed the trimmings and the lack of trust. Take Shane Kinsella for example, whose entire Offaly career to date would have been a string of canings. To stick with it and then have the tide turn like last night must have been extra special.

And let's not got carried away. Once the Dublin team was announced, it became obvious that Offaly had to go for the win, rather than aim for respectability.
That was a very experimental Dublin team. And even when they get back towards full strength, they'll realise how much they have declined from where they were 5 years ago. Ger Cunningham was obviously a poor choice as manager, but it became convenient to blame him for everything.

PS. The headline in the Indo about Offaly's first Croke Park league win in 27 years is daft. They should have mentioned how many games this losing streak had been going on for.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Was at the game last night and I have to say it gave me a great lift and sense of pride that I haven’t felt since I was a young lad watching our glory days! I’m not getting carried away it’s only the league but we needed this win so badly. I was please with the attendance of the Offaly support which seemed good enough. Yes Dublin were missing players but the manner in which we worked was excellent, watching for breaking ball , tackling hard and not giving away to many silly frees and our score taking from long range was brilliant. We have a foundation now let’s build on it , well done lads and Thank you !!!

offdub
Junior C
Club: Gracefield

Post by offdub »

Created an account to say this lads.

As a Dublin hurling diehard it killed me to see us dismantled like that and I pray we turn things around soon.

That being said I'm glad it was Offaly of all counties that dished it out.

A great county with massive tradition and pride in our great game and hope last night acts as a catalyst for an upturn in fortunes.

Hope we see ye again later in the season.

BÁC ABÚ

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well 2 points on the board, +13 point difference and top of the league.
A prefect start to the league.

The game it self was a odd one. Its started like a normal league game, not much pace, not great touch but Offaly were the better team.
we got our self into a lead and then something we seen too much of a goal against the run of play but the thing about picking a hard working, honest team is that they dug in and fought like dogs for the next 12 mins and opened up a lead again.
The second half start like a fright train both team arrived to win the battle, again picking a team of hard working Biffo's the dub had no chance. Mahon has the balls of a bull. he could have tapped over a nice point but he smell blood and took on the lads man and won the penalty. After that the Dub brought on the big hitter they had on the bench but Offaly just working hard and the Dub never look like getting the better of our Warriors.

The high class skills that were showing were all from Offaly. The basic skills of Hard work look no further than Connor Mahon he worked so hard it was like watching a pack of wolves locked inside the body of one Warrior.

Ok. It was a good win. It was odd again to hear lads taking about how fit Offaly are. I don't think we any fitter than any other year but when your full forward line stand and lets the defender clear the ball without changing, you'll never look fit. Fitness isn't an issue with this Offaly Team.
Saturday there was none of that. If a defender was hitting the ball he was under pressure.

Back to Training tonight and mental the lads need to be getting ready for a monster battle with Limerick.
Again if we get the Basic right (Hardwork from our forwards, Followed by more hardwork from our forwards) we can take them.
That means that the Forwards Work as hard as they can Physically put the there bodies on the line to slow the ball coming out of defence.
It's not going to be easy but fight like a pack of Wovles and like a pack of Wovles if you get the chance to get your teeth into Limerick. Don't stop until you stripped the flash down to the bones and then if you can get away with it mash the bones to dust.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hi offdub.

Thanks for coming on. We in Offaly are on cloud nine, as you can imagine. And sets it up nicely for Parnell Park on the June Bank Holiday Sunday, when everyone knows Dublin will have a very different team lining out.

A tough one for ye in Dunloy next Sunday, and we in Offaly know how tough a league campaign can be when your county champions are on club duty.

And keep hurling going in Dublin. I can't say how great to see a young fella carrying a hurl when in Dublin.
offdub wrote:Created an account to say this lads.

As a Dublin hurling diehard it killed me to see us dismantled like that and I pray we turn things around soon.

That being said I'm glad it was Offaly of all counties that dished it out.

A great county with massive tradition and pride in our great game and hope last night acts as a catalyst for an upturn in fortunes.

Hope we see ye again later in the season.

BÁC ABÚ
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

It's Tuesday and still overjoyed from what I seen Saturday night.

Passion, power, work rate, pressure, decision making and most important support.

A great faithful crowd in Croker on Saturday and hopefully this support increases for Limerick game Sunday. We need every advantage we can get.

Another gear will be needed. Martin and ex hurlers have all stated we have to be realistic and be grounded. This was a very under strength Dublin team, but yet a win is a win.

We need to take the positives, set them as the expected standard and improve on the negatives. There was evidence of both on Saturday and Martin will bring these factors to the training camp and even the team selection against Limerick.

Limerick won't be full strength either missing the Na Piarsaigh bhoys especially. They had a good 10 point victory against Laois. They are a very young side with a lot under 21 all ireland winners and are especially quick out of the blocks. An advantage for Offaly maybe the fact that they have numerous lads playing Fitzgibbon on Thursday so will have knocks and little recovery time where as Offaly just have Oisin Kelly to be concerned about. I could see Martin using Oisin as an impact sub and given somebody else a chance claim a jersey.

From Saturday night I think we a shaking start or more so the game had a shaking start but we hurled well when we settled. Some guys performances where fantastic and really stuck out. I taught Thomas Spain, Dermot Shortt, Shane Kinsella, Damo Egan, Oisin and Dan Currams were excellent. A few lads didn't go quite so well. Paddy Delaney looked sluggish and Colin Egan's (i know he scored 3 points) stick work, striking and decision making was poor at times. In general we made a few mistakes, especially getting blocked striking while standing a few times. ITS STILL ONLY JANUARY..

The backbone of the team should and will start but I do see some changes. My predicted team for Sunday:

1. Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
2. Tom Spain (Brosna Gaels)
3. Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)
4. Ben Connelly (St Rynagh’s)
5. Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
6. Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)
7. Jordan Quinn (Kilcormac/Killoughey) or David O' Toole (Shamrocks)
8. David King (Coolderry)
9. Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
10. Colin Egan (Belmont)
11. Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
12. Damien Egan (Belmont)
13. Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
14. Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
15. Daniel Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Dooley can’t start work rate isn’t up to the level that the boys out in Saturday night, better using him the way we have been introduced in the second half or with 20 mins to go! Colin Egan works like a dog , the only issue I have is that he can’t pick the ball up with one hand two hands on the hurl and he will be flying it. We really can’t be critical of any of the players considering where we have been over the last 15 years. Let’s stay positive and keep her lit for Sunday , take one game at a time, different challenge Sunday. Best of luck , can’t wait

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

kingscounty wrote:Dooley can’t start work rate isn’t up to the level that the boys out in Saturday night
I partially agree with this statement. Shane needs to increase his workrate and I think that will come. But, his workrate is on par to that of Joe Bergin.

I think both won't start in the same team and are competition against each other for a starting place at the moment. This is solely on the bases of free taking ability.

Joe Bergin 0-6 (0-3f, 0-1 65).. This should be 4 from free's with a 100% conversion rate..

Shane Dooley 1-5 (1-0 pen, 0-5f),.. also 100% conversion rate..

Some other notable stats from the Dublin game:

25 points (14 or 56% from play)
37 shots.. scored 27 (73%)
Puck Outs : 25 won 60% (15)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A couple of points to remember.
The game could have tilted a different way would 10 or 12 minutes to go.
Dublin had reeled off 3 points and were only 5 behind. The went for goal from a close-ish free and failed to get a point from the resulting 65.
Had they got something here, who knows. Hill 16 had quietly filled up at this stage and this could have gotten the crowd behind them.

There was so much to be positive about Offaly’s performance, but we’ll not know how it would have panned out against a stronger Dublin.
On the occasions where an Offaly player mis-controlled, there was invariably enough time to recover. A sharper opposition probably would have gotten the pressure on quicker.
That doesn’t mean Offaly wouldn’t have found an extra gear themselves, but the rest of the games in the league will present a stiffer challenge.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The dust has settled so I can put up this post.......I did not want to upset any of the Offaly following with the post so said I would wait a few days .

First off well done to management and the team. They looked fit worked hard and got a great result. You can only beat what is in front of you and they done that with ease.

The bad news is and I presume we all know....Dublin at full strength are a middle of the road team if even, add the fact they were missing 10+ starters they really were a poor unit.

That's fine but the issue I have is the reaction of some popular Offaly GAA heads (Duignan) what a stupid tweet....talk about making yourself look like an eejet....fair play to the lads but have we not caused a few upsets in the LEAGUE over the last number of years anyway why are we getting carried away...?

I think we will do well against Limerick possibly beat them, but this is about finding out who we have for the championship..who's our best 15...I expect Cahill, O toole, and maybe 2 or 3 more lads to be given a chance this weekend.

Let's give everyone a chance and make sure come June we have our best 15 on the field.

On a side not can we keep ourselves grounded, cos looking at our performance and quality of player we will still have some hard days at the office and we shouldn't do it with egg on our face.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote: The bad news is and I presume we all know....Dublin at full strength are a middle of the road team if even, add the fact they were missing 10+ starters they really were a poor unit.
You are so predictable. If they'd beaten this exact Dublin lineup in Birr you'd have been salivating on here for the last 3 days.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Predictable ?

Have you been waiting for me all weekend to write up boy?

This has noting got to do with Birr... I am starting to think people like you have an obsession with Birr for been so successful,you must have an agenda against the lovely club do you?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

greenairfield
did you look at the game or were you at it?i think you were possibly neither? duignan was right,i had tears in my eyes also.for the first time since we beat cork in 2000 semi final after a brian whelehan masterclass. this is an offaly team that has struggled to beat lets say second and even third tier teams in recent years. we scored 2.25 against dublin in croke park. we played hurling the offaly way.no sweepers.in your face fair defending,lots of supporting your teammates.and lots of skill..the point oisin kelly scored near the end reminded me of the dna only offaly players over the years , effortless skill.a la johnny flaherty,paddy molloy,,john troy,johnny dooley and lots more...dont be negative.give kevin martin and these lads a chance.limerick will be a different test.but lets get into the match and show them we support them all the way. maybe were on the way back!!

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I was at the game with two mates of mine we go to all Offaly games, I was proud leaving myself.

I gave them credit it was a good win but for christ sake it's January, We have put up performanes in the league over the last 3 or 4 years versus greater opponents...We are getting carried away that's my concern.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

its the first round of the league .january or not its important.it will give the players and management confidence and the supporters a lift. enjoy it and lets hope for more..