2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: 2018 NHL

Post by kaiserchief »

DoingUntold wrote:Just a couple of points on todays match.
- Wind was worth about 3/4point's,1 up at half time against it i was very confident.
- Eoghan Cahills distribution is top notch.
- Full back line seems very settled, however who do have on the bench incase one of these lads gets injured or for rotation come championship. Paddy Rigney, Enda Grogan?
-Is Pat Camon a centre back? Not overly convinced.
- David O Toole is hurling well on the wing, will he replace Shortt? Where will Sean Ryan fit in?
- Tommy Geraghty has with another fine point today.
-Joe Bergin looked very sharp today, great catch for the goal, will get better as fitness improves.
-Shane Dooley, excellent on frees and chipped in with 2 from play, like Bergin will get better with more game time.
- Conor Mahon put in a serious shift today, hes tackling and chasing down every ball was admiral he was everywhere.
-Dan Currams, put in a great shift, made some silly mistakes with passes etc.
Overall very happy with today's performance, seemed to have settled with a scoreline of 1-21 and eased off for last 15 mins. I would of liked to see us to push on and really punish Laois.
Perhaps bring in Dan Doughan to see game time and James Gorman a lot earlier than the final 5 minutes.
I'd agree with a lot of this(approx 90%) and would add more to it:

A huge win. A long time since we have been a position where we have qualified and have a game to spare. Progress in itself. Gives Martin a chance to give lads a chance. Lads on the fringe and lads coming back from injury.
The most notable thing yesterday was the physicality all over the field. We have big men, especially on the half forward line with Egan Mahon and Kiely.
Cahill was exceptional.. Puck outs are key..
Full back line where super.. few minor things with Gardiner letting a lad by him..
Tom Spain as a corner back has to be find of the league...
Half back line is weakest link.. O Toole was excellent on Dwyer.. Camon looked lost again.. Delaney was good on the ball but in lacking height and strength for puckouts.. Wonder would a switch with Connelly work.. corner back might suit him better... King or Sean Ryan to 7 could work.. and conor doughan up for return too..
Thomas Gerathy put in a huge shift and was excellent.
Same old Kiely.. hitting the man and getting a yellow.. always on edge.. should have got a free and went mad.. needed to be maned off the field by Fox.. excellent talent but is a loose cannon..
Mahon was savage.. his power strength and pace was a joy to watch.. the ground hurling worked for him once or twice but did too much..
Colin Egan is having a bad patch.. was poor on the ball.. the one hand pick up doesn't work for him and he does it all day every day
Bergin was supurb. everything stuck.. and he looks fit.. must have flushed out the badness of Argentina trip!!
Dooley.. another 10 points.. needs to do more from play still though..
its good position to be in to have subs coming on the have impact..

Antrim in Birr next Sunday.. hope to see all the bring hurling back to birr lads out in force now that hurling is the right end of the county again.. :lol: :roll:

Would like to see us get a win, a good permanence with a big scoring win. These should be achievable yet giving lads a chance and a few positional changes.
I would like to see a team like:

C Slevin
P Rigney
S Gardiner
P Delaney
D O Toole
Colin Egan ( try him here and see can we get him going)
D King
T Gerathy
Podge Guinan (heard he is back on panel)
R Hughes
S Kinsella
D Egan
S Dooley
O Kelly
C Gath

We now need to get lads game time and strengthen our hands for championship..

We will have a tough q/f no matter what.. we should finish third and play the team in second.. which looks like one of Wexford, Clare, Tipp or Kilkenny..

Would love a battle with the yellow bellies to see where we are against them..

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kaiserchief wrote:
DoingUntold wrote:Just a couple of points on todays match.
- Wind was worth about 3/4point's,1 up at half time against it i was very confident.
- Eoghan Cahills distribution is top notch.
- Full back line seems very settled, however who do have on the bench incase one of these lads gets injured or for rotation come championship. Paddy Rigney, Enda Grogan?
-Is Pat Camon a centre back? Not overly convinced.
- David O Toole is hurling well on the wing, will he replace Shortt? Where will Sean Ryan fit in?
- Tommy Geraghty has with another fine point today.
-Joe Bergin looked very sharp today, great catch for the goal, will get better as fitness improves.
-Shane Dooley, excellent on frees and chipped in with 2 from play, like Bergin will get better with more game time.
- Conor Mahon put in a serious shift today, hes tackling and chasing down every ball was admiral he was everywhere.
-Dan Currams, put in a great shift, made some silly mistakes with passes etc.
Overall very happy with today's performance, seemed to have settled with a scoreline of 1-21 and eased off for last 15 mins. I would of liked to see us to push on and really punish Laois.
Perhaps bring in Dan Doughan to see game time and James Gorman a lot earlier than the final 5 minutes.
I'd agree with a lot of this(approx 90%) and would add more to it:

A huge win. A long time since we have been a position where we have qualified and have a game to spare. Progress in itself. Gives Martin a chance to give lads a chance. Lads on the fringe and lads coming back from injury.
The most notable thing yesterday was the physicality all over the field. We have big men, especially on the half forward line with Egan Mahon and Kiely.
Cahill was exceptional.. Puck outs are key..
Full back line where super.. few minor things with Gardiner letting a lad by him..
Tom Spain as a corner back has to be find of the league...
Half back line is weakest link.. O Toole was excellent on Dwyer.. Camon looked lost again.. Delaney was good on the ball but in lacking height and strength for puckouts.. Wonder would a switch with Connelly work.. corner back might suit him better... King or Sean Ryan to 7 could work.. and conor doughan up for return too..
Thomas Gerathy put in a huge shift and was excellent.
Same old Kiely.. hitting the man and getting a yellow.. always on edge.. should have got a free and went mad.. needed to be maned off the field by Fox.. excellent talent but is a loose cannon..
Mahon was savage.. his power strength and pace was a joy to watch.. the ground hurling worked for him once or twice but did too much..
Colin Egan is having a bad patch.. was poor on the ball.. the one hand pick up doesn't work for him and he does it all day every day
Bergin was supurb. everything stuck.. and he looks fit.. must have flushed out the badness of Argentina trip!!
Dooley.. another 10 points.. needs to do more from play still though..
its good position to be in to have subs coming on the have impact..

Antrim in Birr next Sunday.. hope to see all the bring hurling back to birr lads out in force now that hurling is the right end of the county again.. :lol: :roll:

Would like to see us get a win, a good permanence with a big scoring win. These should be achievable yet giving lads a chance and a few positional changes.
I would like to see a team like:

C Slevin
P Rigney
S Gardiner
P Delaney
D O Toole
Colin Egan ( try him here and see can we get him going)
D King
T Gerathy
Podge Guinan (heard he is back on panel)
R Hughes
S Kinsella
D Egan
S Dooley
O Kelly
C Gath

We now need to get lads game time and strengthen our hands for championship..

We will have a tough q/f no matter what.. we should finish third and play the team in second.. which looks like one of Wexford, Clare, Tipp or Kilkenny..

Would love a battle with the yellow bellies to see where we are against them..

Would like to see Shortt at full back.
Would like to have Mahon/Bergin at FF.
Would like to see Peter Geraghty at wing forward, maybe even in the corner.
Maybe give Camon a chance on the wing instead of O’Toole.
Other than that, same team.

I just am not convinced by Kelly. Was sick at the Weekend, unfortunately missed out on the double header.
Unfortunately missed the Galway match too due to prior commitments.
He never really got into the Limerick game at all. Same can be said for the Walsh Cup matches. Scored a wonder-point in Banagher v Westmeath, was quiet thereafter. Scored the goal in Cusack Park, was quiet for a good while, then majestically caught two puckouts that needed to be won. Against Kilkenny, was poor, missing the frees. To be fair, he’s only at best, Belmont’s third choice free taker after Damien Egan and Fox.
Against Limerick, I feel that Thomas Geraghty was harshly subbed off at HT for Dooley. I thought that perhaps Kelly was more deserving of the curly finger. Geraghty had just got a fine score before HT.
It’s frustrating because he has an abundance of talent, if we could extract it from him, then we’d have a real dynamic attacking threat to pose to any opposition.
I would prefer if he was used as an impact sub, for the time being.

But is Kiely more of a loose cannon than I am? :wink:
Good Luck

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Any updates on Emett Nolan? Is he back on the panel..

What about the other injuries..

Sean Ryan?
Enda Grogan?
Derek Molloy?
Paddy Murphy?
Conor Doughan?

Is Clancy and Del Morkan gone from the panel?

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

No sign of suckindiesel. It's one thing talking crap on your own forum. It's quite another coming into an opposition forum and talking it.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

sorry sir what are you expecting. best team won on the day. king had a nightmare on the frees, and bergin had one of those now rare days when was outstanding.
truth is laois will have a real battle to get out of the qualifiers. offaly will get beat by a minimum of 6 points in all leinster games and I bet bergin will be invisible for 3 of them.
kevin martin is a good manager/trainer, he does not have much to work with whether you like it or not. at least both teams finished with the full complement.

in case you think I am insulting to offaly, I am not. I would like to see laois and offaly competitive again, we are getting further and further away from being competitive in championship with each passing year. offaly have not produced one special juvenile in the past decade and I am not sure when the tide will turn if ever.

wexford have won little or nothing in 20 years, yet they are spending treble and more, the combined offaly and laois budget on their hurlers.....many sports are being dominated by the power of money, and that fact is the killer for the small fry like ourselves.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

suckindiesel wrote:
in case you think I am insulting to offaly, I am not. I would like to see laois and offaly competitive again, we are getting further and further away from being competitive in championship with each passing year. offaly have not produced one special juvenile in the past decade and I am not sure when the tide will turn if ever.
The above seems consistent w SID's past posts over time. I'd believe some of the players mentioned have more to give. Time will tell.

I'd also differ a bit on summer prospects, even if it is a little early to tell either way.
Eamonn 'Work Commitments' Kelly is not without ambition. He will be desperate to get out of the qualifying group and I'd expect that he figures out how to get the best out of his gang at that time. It won't be easy, but I'd hardly be surprised to see them come through.

As for the Connaught/Leinster Championship, yes it will be very hard for Offaly. At first glance it looks like it's set up for us to take the drop. It's our business to shove a sharp stick in the eye of that concept. We should have plenty of motivation. Again, we will see.

Best wishes to Laois in their campaign this year.

UP OFFALY!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Once again St Brendan’s Park Not able to hold a match.... surely this is the end of the debate now???

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

allstar2010 wrote:Once again St Brendan’s Park Not able to hold a match.... surely this is the end of the debate now???
I’m not pro or anti SBP, but are you in Ireland at the moment?
There’s over a foot of snow here, and the storm hasn’t arrived yet.
All matches for this weekend are off.
Right call.
Full Stop.
Good Luck

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

LooseCannon wrote:
allstar2010 wrote:Once again St Brendan’s Park Not able to hold a match.... surely this is the end of the debate now???
Right call.
Full Stop.
:lol:

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

allstar2010 wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:
Right call.
Full Stop.
:lol:
You got me on that one. Was too tired to realise.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Offaly will face Antrim at St Brendan’s Park, Birr also starting at half past two.

Edited. Should be correct now.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Might want to check that. The gaa.ie site says it is elsewhere. Wouldn't want you to go to the wrong venue.
LooseCannon wrote:Offaly will face Antrim at Bord na Mona O’Connor Park also starting at half past two.

:o :o
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Might want to check that. The gaa.ie site says it is elsewhere. Wouldn't want you to go to the wrong venue.
LooseCannon wrote:Offaly will face Antrim at Bord na Mona O’Connor Park also starting at half past two.

:o :o
As does the Independent.
Radio 3 let me down. Have edited the above post.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The match is in SBP thank god as it should be!!!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I’ve since heard from a man who was chatting one of the hurlers today that it’s on in Tullamore. :?: :?: :?:

I’d like to see Offaly hurling matches back in Birr, however if we’re going to be hurling championship matches in Tullamore, then perhaps it’s for the best that it’s played in O’CP.
Good Luck