2018 NHL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby frankthetank » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Totally agree on that assessment.
frankthetank
County player
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby greenairfield » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 am

Best shot stopper but cannot puck out the ball....New blood in the nets wouldn't be a big issue it could be a good thing.
greenairfield
All Star
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby kaiserchief » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 pm

I have to agree with greenairfield a bit here

would love to see Cahill in the goals but think Martin will want to go with Clancy.
kaiserchief
All Star
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 pm

There has been a considerable knee jerk reaction to this week’s decision to have a single group of eight teams in each of the Senior, Senior ‘B’ and Intermediate championships in each grade next year. Personally, I'm not in favour of the eight team groups, but can it be done? Let’s look at the schedule to see if it can.

The NHL’s final round is on the first Sunday in March (week 9). The NFL finals will be on the first Sunday in April (week 13). Offaly footballers and hurlers commence their Leinster campaigns on Sat/Sun 12th/13th May (week 19). There is certainly scope for three rounds between the two codes, and a fourth if Offaly didn’t reach the div 3 NFL final.

Offaly hurlers complete their Leinster campaign on Sunday 3rd June (week 22). The football qualifiers are scheduled as follows – round 1 on 9th June (week 23), round 2 on 23rd June (week 25) and round 3 on 30th June (week 26). It is most unlikely Offaly will get beyond this point – they haven’t done so since 2010. Then the way is clear for club action. If Sunday 14th October (week 41) was targeted for the Senior football final and the hurling final a week later (week 42), there are 16 weekends from week 27 through to week 42.

The finals can be played in time for the Leinster championships and there will be no need for midweek ‘doubling up’ as they do in Westmeath. I don’t know of it was decided to have quarter-finals or not – best if they didn’t, for the sake of scheduling.

There will be two provisos. It is difficult to see how the U21 championships could be played at any time except in November. But then, that is when they play their U21 championship in Kilkenny, and several other counties besides. The other is that club leagues will have to be played in February, March, May and June. That means clubs will have to play the leagues without their county players.

Whatever happens, there will be plenty of matches for the club player in July, August and September in 2018.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There has been a considerable knee jerk reaction to this week’s decision to have a single group of eight teams in each of the Senior, Senior ‘B’ and Intermediate championships in each grade next year. Personally, I'm not in favour of the eight team groups, but can it be done? Let’s look at the schedule to see if it can.

The NHL’s final round is on the first Sunday in March (week 9). The NFL finals will be on the first Sunday in April (week 13). Offaly footballers and hurlers commence their Leinster campaigns on Sat/Sun 12th/13th May (week 19). There is certainly scope for three rounds between the two codes, and a fourth if Offaly didn’t reach the div 3 NFL final.

Offaly hurlers complete their Leinster campaign on Sunday 3rd June (week 22). The football qualifiers are scheduled as follows – round 1 on 9th June (week 23), round 2 on 23rd June (week 25) and round 3 on 30th June (week 26). It is most unlikely Offaly will get beyond this point – they haven’t done so since 2010. Then the way is clear for club action. If Sunday 14th October (week 41) was targeted for the Senior football final and the hurling final a week later (week 42), there are 16 weekends from week 27 through to week 42.

The finals can be played in time for the Leinster championships and there will be no need for midweek ‘doubling up’ as they do in Westmeath. I don’t know of it was decided to have quarter-finals or not – best if they didn’t, for the sake of scheduling.

There will be two provisos. It is difficult to see how the U21 championships could be played at any time except in November. But then, that is when they play their U21 championship in Kilkenny, and several other counties besides. The other is that club leagues will have to be played in February, March, May and June. That means clubs will have to play the leagues without their county players.

Whatever happens, there will be plenty of matches for the club player in July, August and September in 2018.



Can we please make you fixtures secretary please?
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:40 am

I prefer to apply logic to problem solving. But you please carry on please being a simpleton please, like a good loose cannon please.
LooseCannon wrote:Can we please make you fixtures secretary please?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Buttons » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 am

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I prefer to apply logic to problem solving. But you please carry on please being a simpleton please, like a good loose cannon please.
LooseCannon wrote:Can we please make you fixtures secretary please?


As for fixtures durrow lost to rochfortbridge in the club championship, they had players on that team who were due to play the county minor a hurling against banagher the following day, for a 17-18 year old to choose which games to play isn't right. As for the u21 starting in Feb a competition and still to be completed in November has a lot to be said.
Buttons
All Star
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I prefer to apply logic to problem solving. But you please carry on please being a simpleton please, like a good loose cannon please.
LooseCannon wrote:Can we please make you fixtures secretary please?



My sincerest apologies, I forgot to proofread my statement. Your application of logic to problem solving is majestic. Something which organisers and administrators to do with GAA in the county have been lacking for the past years.
It was a comment made not to be sarcastic, but to be serious. From reading posts of yours for the last number of years, you have always been logical, as well as realistic in your approach towards problems or areas to improve upon in relation to Offaly GAA. I was being serious when I asked the question, while hoping maybe if not you, then a like-minded individual could help freshen things up at CB level, by helping to rid our county’s administrative committees of the same lads who are on it this 15 years. I wasn’t implying you of being a hurler on the ditch at all, and I earnestly apologise if I conveyed such a portrait at all, it most certainly wasn’t my intention if I did so.

P.S. I would prefer it if I were not called a simpleton.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Loose Cannon,

My sincere apologies for that remark. No excuses.

I will reply in more detail to your post when I get a chance. But for now, I wanted to put my apology on the record.
LooseCannon wrote:P.S. I would prefer it if I were not called a simpleton.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Loose Cannon,

My sincere apologies for that remark. No excuses.

I will reply in more detail to your post when I get a chance. But for now, I wanted to put my apology on the record.
LooseCannon wrote:P.S. I would prefer it if I were not called a simpleton.


100%
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby sam88885a » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:13 pm

greenairfield wrote:Best shot stopper but cannot puck out the ball....New blood in the nets wouldn't be a big issue it could be a good thing.

I think your been unfair to him ,his puckouts are his weakness especially when he goes short but he has a great presence in goal ,brilliant shot stopper and one of the fittest guys on the panel .i think he could make outfield .His experence and calmness around the panel is a massive loss .
I think O Cahill C Clancy and C Slevin are decent options as his replacement but none of them are near as good shot stoppers as james.
I think C Slevin is the best of the 3 ,decent shot stopper strong in the air and brilliant puckouts.
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Bord na Mona man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Puck outs will only be as good as what the targets are. If you have don't have blue chip high catching long options, as Offaly didn't have in 2017, then you're up against it.
If you go short the receiver needs a decent skill set for it come to come off. So for example, if their instinct is to kill the ball on their stick before getting it to hand, instead of a clean catch, you're bound to be under pressure also.
Offaly hurling's traditional distain for catching skills means it's an area of the modern game we often struggle. A hurling tradition geared at producing wristy lads in loose play is now largely ineffective with so little broken play in the modern game.

When playing against top class opposition (and presumably taking a hammering) and Offaly keeper will have to puck it out nearly 50 times in 70 minutes. The more you have to take, the less your variations are going to come off when you're already in evasion mode.
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby private joker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Saw james Dempsey against Waterford this year. Offalys best player, excellant short puckouts. Brillant shot stopper. People need to remember a goalkeeper needs options for puckouts to work.
private joker
County player
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 pm

private joker wrote:Saw james Dempsey against Waterford this year. Offalys best player, excellant short puckouts. Brillant shot stopper. People need to remember a goalkeeper needs options for puckouts to work.


With C Egan back, we have a great option for puckouts.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL

Postby Bord na Mona man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:59 pm

LooseCannon wrote:
private joker wrote:Saw james Dempsey against Waterford this year. Offalys best player, excellant short puckouts. Brillant shot stopper. People need to remember a goalkeeper needs options for puckouts to work.


With C Egan back, we have a great option for puckouts.

Ah here, knock that initialisation shite off! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests