Faithful Fields

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Faithful Fields

Post by ryot »

Opening tomorrow so surprising there is no great interest/excitement here.....

I think its brilliant to have such a facility and only hope it gets plenty of use by county teams and Dev Squads,,,,,,,,,

Looking forward to having a good look at it tomorrow.......

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Faithful Fields

Post by substandard »

Will be a significant step towards improving Offaly's fortunes in both codes, (plus, presumably, for the ladies also), but needs to be backed up with well-informed and properly supported coaching personnel for all levels. I see huge potential here: centralised s/c monitoring, day blitzes for school teams across the county at both primary and secondary level, opportunities for underage club tournaments- there are lots of possibilities. Give young players a taste of playing there, build a culture encouraging them to want to be a part of an academy, a development squad, a county panel. Building a culture around the fields and the buildings, or else that's all they'll be, just a field and a building, not a whole lot different from any other club. From the outset, getting called to try out for a county panel in the Faithful Fields should be a burning ambition, a goal, a badge of honour for any young player.
The facilities are there: get the right personnel, and build the right culture.
I see better days ahead...

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

and in a great move, today for the first use of the pitches, Under 10 Hurlers, Footballers, Camogie players and Ladies Footballers from all the clubs in the county, apprx 900 children got to play mini games,,,,,,

Well done to whoever came up with the idea. Adult Lads & Ladies will get plenty opportunity to use those 4 perfect pitches but those children will have a great memory.

The whole place looks great, the pitches look great ( I had a good walk around and on them) the building is superb, 6 massive dressing rooms, physion room, referees room, big gym, hurling wall fronted by an all-weather area, kitchen, office and 3 other rooms, one used as the Dining Room and 2 upstairs as meeting rooms....

and its all paid for....

Now another bit of money and the last 2 pitches will get floodlights and the big parking area be tarmaced.......

To all involved a big thank you......

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

ryot wrote:and in a great move, today for the first use of the pitches, Under 10 Hurlers, Footballers, Camogie players and Ladies Footballers from all the clubs in the county, apprx 900 children got to play mini games,,,,,,

Well done to whoever came up with the idea. Adult Lads & Ladies will get plenty opportunity to use those 4 perfect pitches but those children will have a great memory.

The whole place looks great, the pitches look great ( I had a good walk around and on them) the building is superb, 6 massive dressing rooms, physion room, referees room, big gym, hurling wall fronted by an all-weather area, kitchen, office and 3 other rooms, one used as the Dining Room and 2 upstairs as meeting rooms....

and its all paid for....

Now another bit of money and the last 2 pitches will get floodlights and the big parking area be tarmaced.......

To all involved a big thank you......
Never mind Bord na Móna Faithful Fields

Should be called Kieran Keenaghan Faithful Fields.
Good Luck

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

the hurling wall is very badly designed in my opinion
needed a higher wall and a longer area out from the wall
for some reason there is a building plonked almost in the middle of the astro area
only the best...

Samaniego
Junior C

Post by Samaniego »

Well that's disappointing to hear. Can't believe they botched it like that.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

We don't need a 4G pitch they said. It'll be fine they said!!!

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/279610

2 floodlit pitches to accomadate how many county teams across hurling, camogie, ladies football and gaelic football??

Pretty predictable.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Very predictable