New Managers for 2018

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Welcome and best of luck to Stephen Wallace.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Kevin
All Star
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby bracknaghboy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Unless overly familiar with Kerry football the average Offaly supporter has little to on here. However, from what I can make of it it appears a solid appointment.
They know their football in Kerry and would not have him let near that junior job unless they thought he had potential. All Ireland intermediate club winner in 2015 and 2 junior All Ireland's in 2015 and 2016 are at least showing of a fella who has been around winning teams.
That Tralee IT had him last year further shows he is well thought of down there.
Let's be honest he is most likely a man with one eye on the Kerry senior job down the line so he clearly thinks he can make some progress with our boyos. In fact I'd would say he is taking more of a risk here than we are....he won't want to screw this up and with it his chances of a bigger job down the line.
That he favors open football if true is great....the problem with the totally negative managers is that they can't change, if anything they get more negative because they know nothing else. At least it might be watchable under this Wallace chap. We'll see.
An appointment to be optimistic about for now at least.

........now about them churches :D
bracknaghboy
All Star
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby kaiserchief » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 am

the selectors he chooses or gets will play a key role in identifiying these so called roses.

i would like to see young selectors picked, with players identified from all ends of the county.

thinking of lads like cathal daly, padraig kelly, scott brady, peter brady, pascal kellghan, colm quinn..
kaiserchief
All Star
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 am

kaiserchief wrote:the selectors he chooses or gets will play a key role in identifiying these so called roses.

i would like to see young selectors picked, with players identified from all ends of the county.

thinking of lads like cathal daly, padraig kelly, scott brady, peter brady, pascal kellghan, colm quinn..


He could have one or two of his own, though it would be ridiculous to not have people from Offaly with a bit of knowledge on the club scene.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby jimbob17 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Little or nobody would have seen this appointment coming. I genuinely hope it works out well and that appropriate support re selectors support structures etc is given.

Wallace is a young enough coach with decent pedigree even if he hasn't been with senior teams. He has been working with high calibre individuals, many of whom won u21 and minor all Irelands. Tadhg Morley and some of seniors would have won junior all Irelands under him. Some might have reservations re his lack of exposure to big league stuff but I'd much rather this appointment than some of the journey man choices in the not too distant past.

What is of concern is that we are not attracting more experienced people both in hurling and football. If we had got jack o Connor or pat o shea people would've been delighted. That we got someone who has been doing work behind these lads is no shame and he could bring a lot more than people expect. You can be sure that with the nature of kerry football, no journey man manager would have been afforded the chance to work with their best young talent.

We have some decent talent in my opinion with many having improved physically under Flanagan. My only concern is who goes with him. They need to firstly have a good handle on local scene, have understanding of modern game and be progressive thinking. That points to younger men who have played within the last 15 years and realise what it takes and have a passion for the role.

All in all, I'd be optimistic but it totally depends on who he can get or who is provided by county board to go with him.
jimbob
jimbob17
All Star
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby biffinbanner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 pm

its a bit strange really.were getting in a manager that prob will need directions to get to tullamore and o connor park.and if he had to name 5 offaly players would prob struggle. he replaces a well regarded offaly man with a lifetimes experience of playing and managing in the county, who had zero luck in his time at the helm. best of luck to him..he will need it
biffinbanner
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 pm

biffinbanner wrote:its a bit strange really.were getting in a manager that prob will need directions to get to tullamore and o connor park.and if he had to name 5 offaly players would prob struggle. he replaces a well regarded offaly man with a lifetimes experience of playing and managing in the county, who had zero luck in his time at the helm. best of luck to him..he will need it

If there's progress made, I couldn't care less if he has to come from Timbuktu.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby SearingDrive » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

biffinbanner wrote:its a bit strange really.were getting in a manager that prob will need directions to get to tullamore and o connor park.and if he had to name 5 offaly players would prob struggle. he replaces a well regarded offaly man with a lifetimes experience of playing and managing in the county, who had zero luck in his time at the helm. best of luck to him..he will need it

He can always use a sat nav. Much better to support him as manager. If he does the job, people will be happy.
SearingDrive
All Star
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby sam88885a » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:52 pm

I was hoping when i heard on the radio that Offaly had got a Kerry man to manager our footballers that it was Jack O Connor . That was never going to happen.
Its a long way to go to find a manager guess he must not heard what our county board is like to work with .
Slight worry is how poor Tralee IT preformed when he managed them and he seems to have no experence managing senior players even at club level .
Time will tell he is there now ,we have to give him a chance .
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:18 pm

sam88885a wrote:I was hoping when i heard on the radio that Offaly had got a Kerry man to manager our footballers that it was Jack O Connor . That was never going to happen.
Its a long way to go to find a manager guess he must not heard what our county board is like to work with .
Slight worry is how poor Tralee IT preformed when he managed them and he seems to have no experence managing senior players even at club level .
Time will tell he is there now ,we have to give him a chance .


To be fair, expecting IT Tralee to do anything major in the Sigurson Cup; well that's like expecting Clonmore Harps to compete for senior championships.(No disrespect meant towards Clonmore)

He won an all Ireland intermediate with Ardfert.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby True Red » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 am

To be fair, expecting IT Tralee to do anything major in the Sigurson Cup; well that's like expecting Clonmore Harps to compete for senior championships.(No disrespect meant towards Clonmore)


a fatwa will be declared on your head by the Ayatollahs of Clonmore!!!!!

Run for cover!!! :D :D :D
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything
True Red
All Star
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:25 pm

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:14 pm

True Red wrote:
To be fair, expecting IT Tralee to do anything major in the Sigurson Cup; well that's like expecting Clonmore Harps to compete for senior championships.(No disrespect meant towards Clonmore)


a fatwa will be declared on your head by the Ayatollahs of Clonmore!!!!!

Run for cover!!! :D :D :D


Seriously though, fair play to them for fielding a team. I don't know of their numbers, but I can't imagine them having a big area to pick from.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby frankthetank » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 pm

LooseCannon wrote:
sam88885a wrote:I was hoping when i heard on the radio that Offaly had got a Kerry man to manager our footballers that it was Jack O Connor . That was never going to happen.
Its a long way to go to find a manager guess he must not heard what our county board is like to work with .
Slight worry is how poor Tralee IT preformed when he managed them and he seems to have no experence managing senior players even at club level .
Time will tell he is there now ,we have to give him a chance .


To be fair, expecting IT Tralee to do anything major in the Sigurson Cup; well that's like expecting Clonmore Harps to compete for senior championships.(No disrespect meant towards Clonmore)

He won an all Ireland intermediate with Ardfert.


Hmmm, Tralee IT won 3 Sigerson Cups in a row in the late 90's.

They aren't exactly third level football paupers.
frankthetank
County player
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 pm

frankthetank wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:
sam88885a wrote:I was hoping when i heard on the radio that Offaly had got a Kerry man to manager our footballers that it was Jack O Connor . That was never going to happen.
Its a long way to go to find a manager guess he must not heard what our county board is like to work with .
Slight worry is how poor Tralee IT preformed when he managed them and he seems to have no experence managing senior players even at club level .
Time will tell he is there now ,we have to give him a chance .


To be fair, expecting IT Tralee to do anything major in the Sigurson Cup; well that's like expecting Clonmore Harps to compete for senior championships.(No disrespect meant towards Clonmore)

He won an all Ireland intermediate with Ardfert.


Hmmm, Tralee IT won 3 Sigerson Cups in a row in the late 90's.

They aren't exactly third level football paupers.


I know that. But back then they'd a higher standard of player. Nowadays there is over-emphasis on universities as the only way to go with regard to third level. ITs don't have the pull factors they once had due to the point above. It would be interesting to see what third level institute that Kerry footballers attended. I'd predict that most went to UCC or Mary I.
Also college courses would be a factor in this.
Just my opinion.
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: New Managers for 2018

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Kevin Martin???
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.irishmirr ... 262912.amp

Any other names heard??
From the sound of Tommy Byrne's interview, it'll be an Offaly man.
https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ ... ger-search
Loose by name, Loose by nature :wink:
User avatar
LooseCannon
County player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests