Additions to County panels Football and Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mrbrightside
Junior A

Re: Additions to County panels Football and Hurling

Post by Mrbrightside »

LooseCannon wrote:https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/reigning-c ... dge-191073

We’d a few involved in the Fitzgibbon at the weekend.
UCD
Podge Guinan
Eoghan Callaghan

NUIG
Dylan Watkins

IT Carlow
Conor Langton

WIT
Joe Maher (Ballinamere)

LIT
Paddy Delaney
Oisín Kelly
Dylan Quegan
Ben Conneely

UL
Ronan Hughes
Also had Andy Flynn (Lusmagh) involved with NUIG, Eoghan Cahill (Birr) and Eimhin Kelly (Lusmagh) involved with Mary I

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As far as I can make out:
Paddy Delaney and Oisín Kelly played the full game for LIT;
Eoghan Cahill played in goal for Mary I;
Paudge Guinan and Eoghan Callaghan lined out for UCD, the latter scoring 1-1.

And that seems to be all that saw Fitzgibbon Cup action.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Callaghan and Podge played for UCD today, Callaghan got taken off at half time.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Eoghan Cahill played today for Mary I in their Fitzgibbon Q-Final vs Cork IT while Eimhin Kelly came on as a sub

Paddy Delaney and Oisin Kelly both started in Limerick IT's surprise loss to NUIG. Delaney was replaced in the 43rd minute.

Conor Langton came on as a sub for Carlow IT in their loss to UCC.

And we had no representation in the fourth Q-Final between DCU and TUD which DCU won comfortably

Semi finals are Mary I vs UCC and UCC vs DCU. DCU are the bookies favourites to win it out.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Was at Wheery V St.Vincents this morning in U20. Cian Johnston played, scored 1 point. Only I know who he is, I would never pick him out of all the players on view as a potential county player. He was well marked by young Bolger from Daingean, made Johnston look very ordinary. To be fair, conditions were awful, rained whole game.
Some nice footballers on Wheery team and and a few on Vins as well. This was the pick of 7/8 clubs, and no stars! Good footballers, yes, county potential....??

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Geansai Gorm wrote:Was at Wheery V St.Vincents this morning in U20. Cian Johnston played, scored 1 point. Only I know who he is, I would never pick him out of all the players on view as a potential county player. He was well marked by young Bolger from Daingean, made Johnston look very ordinary. To be fair, conditions were awful, rained whole game.
Some nice footballers on Wheery team and and a few on Vins as well. This was the pick of 7/8 clubs, and no stars! Good footballers, yes, county potential....??
Young Bolger isn’t too bad either!
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

One game

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

I was at the Wheery game also Johnston scored 0-3 from play and 1 free highest scorer on the pitch a quiet game for him and still the highest scorer on the field on a terrible day for football. At the game I was informed that he’s playing with a severely bad ankle injury and shouldn’t be playing at all he’s not on the Offaly u20 squad anymore because of the ankle but he will continue to play the club championship because he’s captain and talisman for Ferbane. Just goes to show you never know circumstances behind a performance and our mentality in Offaly is to run our players into the ground as shown ^^

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

Does anyone know who has been cut from the panel since December ? And does anyone know the full list of players in training at the minute ?

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Don’t have a full list be hard to get one unless you knew someone on the panel. Sean flynn and cathal Farrell left to play rugby and Conor lynam isn’t in the squad and now with Johnson gone it’s a big blow

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Tullman wrote:cathal Farrell
There's four of those Farrell's in it, one more talented than the next, but seemingly rugby is the number one priority for them.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tullman wrote:I was at the Wheery game also Johnston scored 0-3 from play and 1 free highest scorer on the pitch a quiet game for him and still the highest scorer on the field on a terrible day for football. At the game I was informed that he’s playing with a severely bad ankle injury and shouldn’t be playing at all he’s not on the Offaly u20 squad anymore because of the ankle but he will continue to play the club championship because he’s captain and talisman for Ferbane. Just goes to show you never know circumstances behind a performance and our mentality in Offaly is to run our players into the ground as shown ^^
In my opinion Johnston is better developing as he is. He wouldn't make much of an impact on the senior county team right now. There isn't room for a fella to scratch himself in the full forward line in the modern game and I feel he could find it a frustrating time in there with the lack of space. Let it happen naturally over the next couple of years instead of trying to throw him now and rush it. I appreciate others feel differently about it and that's fine, I can see their point.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Tullman wrote:I was at the Wheery game also Johnston scored 0-3 from play and 1 free highest scorer on the pitch a quiet game for him and still the highest scorer on the field on a terrible day for football. At the game I was informed that he’s playing with a severely bad ankle injury and shouldn’t be playing at all he’s not on the Offaly u20 squad anymore because of the ankle but he will continue to play the club championship because he’s captain and talisman for Ferbane. Just goes to show you never know circumstances behind a performance and our mentality in Offaly is to run our players into the ground as shown ^^
Hi Tullman,

I don't want to hold you to every aspect of your post as details can slip and all, but i will make a few assumptions based on what you've written. The picture you've painted here is mindboggling.

Am not sure how all this stuff hangs together, but is it really the case that the player is not involved w the U20s because of an ankle injury? Regardless of whether he is a key player or not is there not a comprehensive rehab program there for injured players? I'd think we'd want to get them back and ready in the safest and effective way possible(?). If he is not fit enough to play U20, why would he be playing w his club or whatever? Regardless of his loyalties, who sends an
Injured player out to play? This is how we risk losing players forever.

Now if we later learn that the player is not with the U20s by choice, that changes things, but only a little. We still have an injured player taking to the field risking further setback (assuming that indeed he has a seriously bum ankle).

This reply is not directed to you in particular Tullman. I am just wondering if someone can shed some light on how we 'manage and support our resources' to get the most out of them and help them fulfill their potential. I know this is an amateur operation with limits on resources, but from your post it almost seems like the player is in charge of his own rehab and is taking time out to play and help his club while he gets better.

I could have this all wrong and surely hope so.

If anyone has a few minutes to fill in how these situations are supposed to be handled generally or what is going on on this particular case it would be appreciated.

This just seems needlessly haphazard. Thanks for any clarifications, etc.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

My personal experience is that there is no set procedure for handling such cases and it was pretty haphazard. When I got to the age where I was playing club, county underage and college there was a big grey area over injury recovery, and mainly the onus just was on myself to take care of and the bill usually went to the team that I was playing for at the time the injury happened (if it was something like a break) or the team that was currently 'in season'.

This was especially tricky if the injury occurred at the end of one season (for example, when I was done with the club and college was due to kick in soon). I had a case one time where I got injured in a trial game for the county, didn't realise how bad it was for a few days and then was stuck in limbo as I wasn't part of the county panel, but the club hadn't started back yet, so I think I just covered that expense myself and went to get it taken care of on my own.

Maybe things have moved on, but I doubt it.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Am amazed at that last post.

As a player I never had an injury in my little bit of minor & junior county. At club I paid my own bills as a matter or principle.

As a club sec I processed loads of injury fund claims and was under the impression that all injury claims were handled through the club, be that home club or college club.

Presenting a bill sounds crazy to me, unless its with a completed Injury Fund Claim Form.