Offaly GAA - in Crisis

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby kingscounty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 am

The mess has to be sorted now, if this drags on we are doomed let's not forget we have no manager for our senior hurling or football team all the while the board are still clinging on. I still can't fathom why or how the review committee was put in place only to be ignored really over the last number of years! Anyone at the meeting last night?
kingscounty
All Star
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Bord na Mona man » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:01 pm

What are the chances of the the hurling plan being properly implemented now?
My fear is that when all this fuss dies down, we'll only have made small progress in reforming hurling in the county.
I suspect that the bits of it that were easy to implement and probably make a small difference might well be done. The more contentious parts of it, that were obviously being avoided, or ignored, or railroaded, will go undone.

Is there anything to reassure me to the contrary?
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Killeighman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am

There is a solution, it's a drastic one but one that will really pin the county board into action be it resignations or putting the plans into action that they have been talking about for the last two years. The whole county has to boycott the county board for anything to be noticed. Club players, county players, supporters boycott games and county board meetings and we'll soon see how the county board cop onto it. They are only poison at the top and it's only going to get worse. They released a statement this morning outlining their support of the plan and that it will be fulfilled. We've heard that before and look what happened. This can't go on much longer until we are at the bottom tier and everyone suffers because there is no way back. I may be wrong about what I say but it makes more sense than a lot of what I have been reading.
Killeighman
All Star
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Bord na Mona man » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am

Offaly Clubs and Management Committee committed to Hurling Plan

August 2nd, 2017 | News, Uncategorized
Following a meeting of the Chairperson and Secretaries of Offaly GAA clubs and the management committee of Offaly GAA in Tullamore on Monday night (July 31st) it was agreed that a statement in response to recent media reports on the Offaly Hurling Development plan, and the resignation of members of the Offaly Implementation Committee, be issued.

The meeting recognised the importance of The Hurling Pathway Plan in moving Offaly hurling forward and a detailed update on all aspects implemented to-date and on the future roll out of the plan will be presented to Chairperson and Secretaries of all clubs within two weeks. Thereafter at three monthly intervals. A steering committee comprising of five club Chairpersons, Coaching & Games Officer and Head of Operations will oversee the plan.

The contribution of those who recently resigned was praised and there was agreement that Offaly hurling needs their involvement going forward. In this regard The Chairman gave a commitment to contact the individuals with a view to asking them to re-consider their positions.

A wide ranging discussion took place among the 65 people present and clarification was given on a number of issues. An outline of various activities undertaken by Coaching & Games staff in the year to-date was also discussed.

Hurling Development Funding (HDF) – €40,000

Leinster Council GAA, confirmed that Offaly GAA, has complied fully throughout the term of this funding with both the planning and reporting processes set down to access the funding.

The HDF was first introduced in 2015 by Árd Comhairle, for the purpose of improving the competitiveness and performances of four designated counties – Offaly being one.

In this regard funding was allocated under the following sports science related headings:

* Strength & Conditioning

* Sports Psychology / Performance Coaching

* Nutrition Hydration

* Performance Analysis

Since its inception in late 2015, each county has been required to submit an annual plan to Leinster Council GAA, detailing how the funding is to be spent for the provision the above areas at Senior (€30,000) and Under 21/Minor (€10,000). Funding is only released on receipt of invoices and compliance with submitted plan as we must provide evidence to Árd Comhairle, the funders.

In a review context Offaly GAA, are met during the season in both formal and informal settings and at the end of season to evaluate and plan for the next year. At all times Offaly GAA, has participated fully in this process and commitment to achieving the aims of the HDF.

Leinster Council GAA, carried out a review of the HDF in 2016 and made recommendations to Árd Comhairle expressing the need to allocate some of the funding to underage development. In 2017 we earmarked €3,000 of the overall budget in each county towards the appointment of a sports science intern to support development squads. No other funding now or previously has been designated for development squads as has been communicated.

Leinster GAA will shortly be reviewing the year gone by and devising a plan for 2018 and 2019. This may involve us designating more of existing monies to underage

Strength & Conditioning

The facts are that Emmett Egan has been employed by Leinster Council GAA since September 2016, in a dual role, teaching in IT Carlow and acting as a Performance Coach supporting all counties across the province. He hasn’t worked with AIT during this period.

Emmett has had a role since 2015 with the Offaly senior hurlers – also supporting the Under 21 team. He has no direct role with any other team. He was retained in this role after Eamonn Kelly’s departure, in recognition of the progress made in the area of physical fitness with the teams.

In his capacity with Leinster Council GAA, Emmett has supported the delivery of programmes for both hurling and football in the county and in particular training staff for the purpose of building self-sufficiency.

He has also recruited, as in other counties, a sports science student/intern to work with development squads in Offaly.

It is extremely disappointing that recent comments have completely misrepresented the actual role and involvement that Emmet has had with Offaly GAA and there was no attempt made to ascertain the full facts prior to the circulation of an account of a meeting in the county.

Conclusion

In Conclusion we wish to quote from the final paragraph of The Hurling Pathway Document and hope that everyone can draw a line in the sand and move on together in the interest of Offaly Hurling.

“During the course of its investigations and deliberations, this committee has experienced a huge amount of goodwill and positivity from the GAA folk of Offaly, both hurling and football. Offaly GAA people are very conscious of the fact that Offaly hurling is dogged by problems from grassroots level at the way to the very top, even to administrative level, and they have openly expressed those views to the members of the Review Committee. However, the overwhelming view coming from Offaly GAA people is that nothing will be achieved if our efforts are focused on apportioning blame for the current state of Offaly Hurling, and that our time will be much better spent focussing on implementing a plan that will lift Offaly Hurling, a plan that will bring Offaly Hurling back to the top table of hurling’s elite once more. The Hurling Review Committee firmly believe that this plan, if implemented properly, will achieve that purpose, but only if it is supported by everyone associated with Offaly Hurling. For this plan to succeed it must become a living breathing plan which is reviewed and amended at regular intervals, which sets realistic achievable targets, which focuses on the DEVELOPMENT of our young hurlers, but which above all, is supported and implemented by the hurling clubs of Offaly because without their total support, this plan just will not succeed. We believe that this plan will lift Offaly Hurling if it is fully and properly implemented and we thank the Offaly County Board for having faith in us to produce this plan and for the support they have given us over the past eight months.”


http://offaly.gaa.ie/2017/08/02/offaly- ... ling-plan/
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby bracknaghboy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Killeighman wrote:There is a solution, it's a drastic one but one that will really pin the county board into action be it resignations or putting the plans into action that they have been talking about for the last two years. The whole county has to boycott the county board for anything to be noticed. Club players, county players, supporters boycott games and county board meetings and we'll soon see how the county board cop onto it. They are only poison at the top and it's only going to get worse. They released a statement this morning outlining their support of the plan and that it will be fulfilled. We've heard that before and look what happened. This can't go on much longer until we are at the bottom tier and everyone suffers because there is no way back. I may be wrong about what I say but it makes more sense than a lot of what I have been reading.


Here's another drastic solution........get up off your arse and put your name forward at the next county convention if you think you can do better.
bracknaghboy
All Star
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Killeighman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm

bracknaghboy wrote:
Killeighman wrote:There is a solution, it's a drastic one but one that will really pin the county board into action be it resignations or putting the plans into action that they have been talking about for the last two years. The whole county has to boycott the county board for anything to be noticed. Club players, county players, supporters boycott games and county board meetings and we'll soon see how the county board cop onto it. They are only poison at the top and it's only going to get worse. They released a statement this morning outlining their support of the plan and that it will be fulfilled. We've heard that before and look what happened. This can't go on much longer until we are at the bottom tier and everyone suffers because there is no way back. I may be wrong about what I say but it makes more sense than a lot of what I have been reading.


Here's another drastic solution........get up off your arse and put your name forward at the next county convention if you think you can do better.


I suppose you have nothing but good words to say about the county board and all the good they are doing by putting so much into the underage. Sure we are on the cusp of winning All Ireland's with our Minors, U21s and Seniors all doing so well.... Wake up and smell the bacon because we all can't be wrong about what they are doing. Maybe you could do a better job than what is there and lead us into a revolution of Offaly Gaa?
Killeighman
All Star
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby uibhfhaili » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Killeighman wrote:
bracknaghboy wrote:
Killeighman wrote:There is a solution, it's a drastic one but one that will really pin the county board into action be it resignations or putting the plans into action that they have been talking about for the last two years. The whole county has to boycott the county board for anything to be noticed. Club players, county players, supporters boycott games and county board meetings and we'll soon see how the county board cop onto it. They are only poison at the top and it's only going to get worse. They released a statement this morning outlining their support of the plan and that it will be fulfilled. We've heard that before and look what happened. This can't go on much longer until we are at the bottom tier and everyone suffers because there is no way back. I may be wrong about what I say but it makes more sense than a lot of what I have been reading.


Here's another drastic solution........get up off your arse and put your name forward at the next county convention if you think you can do better.


I suppose you have nothing but good words to say about the county board and all the good they are doing by putting so much into the underage. Sure we are on the cusp of winning All Ireland's with our Minors, U21s and Seniors all doing so well.... Wake up and smell the bacon because we all can't be wrong about what they are doing. Maybe you could do a better job than what is there and lead us into a revolution of Offaly Gaa?


This place has always been an absolute cesspit of County Board loyalists over the ys.
uibhfhaili
County player
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Bord na Mona man » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

uibhfhaili wrote:
Killeighman wrote:
I suppose you have nothing but good words to say about the county board and all the good they are doing by putting so much into the underage. Sure we are on the cusp of winning All Ireland's with our Minors, U21s and Seniors all doing so well.... Wake up and smell the bacon because we all can't be wrong about what they are doing. Maybe you could do a better job than what is there and lead us into a revolution of Offaly Gaa?


This place has always been an absolute cesspit of County Board loyalists over the ys.

Someone needs to drain the swamp!
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Lone Shark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm

uibhfhaili wrote:This place has always been an absolute cesspit of County Board loyalists over the ys.


You realise it's entirely possible to be very disappointed with a huge number of things that have happened in recent years, many of which stem from county board mistakes/inaction, and yet be utterly terrified of the alternative that is suggested, which is pretty much this:

Image
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Back Home!

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby greenairfield » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 pm

That is a fact I reckon half the lads here are either county board lads or related to them.
It's a shame what happened and really noting can be done unless good people take the plunge to get involed.
greenairfield
All Star
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby bracknaghboy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:27 pm

greenairfield wrote:That is a fact I reckon half the lads here are either county board lads or related to them.


And the other half are only here because they want hurling back in Birr :lol:
bracknaghboy
All Star
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby substandard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 pm

greenairfield wrote:That is a fact I reckon half the lads here are either county board lads or related to them.
It's a shame what happened and really noting can be done unless good people take the plunge to get involed.


This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

All good stating that the whole executive should stand/ be stood down, but who steps into the breach then?
The county board is a bit like the government: everyone outside knows what should be done, but then are too busy/ unavailable/ unwilling to get involved. Tired of this everyone-who-doesn't-carry-a-flaming-torch-ready-to-lynch-the-county-board is automatically either on the board, or an active supporter of them.
A certain few don't have a monopoly on disappointment or disillusionment with how things have been done.
That said, I agree fully that good people are needed, and needed urgently, but in my experience- limited as it is, I just don't see many capable people actively looking to take the reins. I could be wrong, but the amount of uncontested elections each year supports this.
Then everything breaks down to tit for tat arguing over and back- believe me, very little of this is meant as a direct challenge to you, and certainly isn't meant as an attack. It's just a slightly different point of view, but I can guarantee we'd have an awful lot in common from the point of view of wanting what's best for Offaly.
What has been done is, in many cases, woefully inadequate. What hasn't been done, in many cases, ranges from very regrettable to downright shameful.
substandard
County player
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby Looktothefuture » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 pm

it's not easy to stand up and get involved it would be easier to get into the dail it's sowed up tight.. In order to get involved and do some good work you need years to wiggle your way true all the red tape. The rules that govern the county board are made to protect them. I recently heard that the committee to assess the football management was ment to be proposed and ratified at the meeting that they sacked Flanagan so he was sacked by 4 people who wasn't giving the job yet.. They are a law into themselves and proved that Monday night with the closed meeting we can shout all we want nothing will change..
Looktothefuture
Junior B
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby shamlads » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 am

the statement from cb is total waffle yet again.Wholly behind the hurling plan all of a sudden?what a shower of tossers.
I pray that hogan and carroll etc. will stand their ground and at the very least state that there will be no going back unless there are personel changes at the top table.its about time now that people in this county stand firm and not be reeled in yet again by waffle.and what a statement to make about blame game.they are the root of the problem.i dont want to sound vulgar but i can only describe it as a cancer eating the county from the inside out.change at the top is long overdue,i for one will be very disappointed if hogan and crew give in to them and come back.all faith will be lost if they do after the interview which he stated absolute disaster.i just hope they have the bottle to stick to their guns.
shamlads
Junior A
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis

Postby llkj » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:45 am

Lone Shark wrote:
uibhfhaili wrote:This place has always been an absolute cesspit of County Board loyalists over the ys.


You realise it's entirely possible to be very disappointed with a huge number of things that have happened in recent years, many of which stem from county board mistakes/inaction, and yet be utterly terrified of the alternative that is suggested, which is pretty much this


May I ask LS, why are you so afraid of people proposing that the current county board leadership be removed? I understand that your main point is 'show me the people that can come in and do a better job', but if the current chairman is not only not progressing things but actively regressing things (by impeding much needed work), then surely any change is likely to have somewhat of a positive or at least a 'stop the bleeding' impact?

My personal thought is that resignations would be very much welcome as it would help us as a county to draw a line in the sand and start the long rebuilding process at the top. This doesn't mean that all work has to come to a complete fault as we search. I'm sure an interim chairperson could oversee operations while the process of appointing a new chair was happening.
I don't know the exact processes of the GAA, but my main point is that I would not fear change in the way that you do, even if all of the answers aren't in place before the resignation happens.
llkj
All Star
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], kaiserchief and 6 guests