Offaly GAA - in Crisis

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
shamlads
Junior A

Re: Offaly GAA - in Crisis?

Post by shamlads »

A couple months ago I made the case here for the cb to be ousted,I was ridiculed left right and centre.well i sincerely hope now after yet another dismal year for the county in both codes that people within the county both supporters and players have the balls to stand up and be counted,down tools completely if needs be to clear out these money grabbers at the head of the table.god almighty when you think of all these poor unfortunates (players I mean)going out killing themselves training and then getting a hiding on match day,all the youngsters playing these blitz's on miserable evenings,and for what?to keep these people in a job.Are ye all stone mad or what?nothing is ever going to improve with this lot at the helm.Christ almighty how long do we let it go on for?long past time for change and it starts at the top.People power is the only way.and who in the name of god cares if it disrupts things here and there,can't be anywhere near as bad as where we are heading anyway.we're a laughing stock as it is because of these idiots.time for a revolt,and at least lets show the rest of the country that genuine Offaly players and supporters still have the passion for it even if these cowboys at the top don't.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Offaly county board received €220k in games development funding in 2016 it was reported. The third largest payout of all counties. Obviously we all know Dublin topped the table getting a massive €1.5m.

However, would be interested if anybody has a breakdown of how the county board used this money. Was it actually invested into games development or put towards paying off debts for OCP etc?

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

shamlads wrote:A couple months ago I made the case here for the cb to be ousted,I was ridiculed left right and centre.well i sincerely hope now after yet another dismal year for the county in both codes that people within the county both supporters and players have the balls to stand up and be counted,down tools completely if needs be to clear out these money grabbers at the head of the table.god almighty when you think of all these poor unfortunates (players I mean)going out killing themselves training and then getting a hiding on match day,all the youngsters playing these blitz's on miserable evenings,and for what?to keep these people in a job.Are ye all stone mad or what?nothing is ever going to improve with this lot at the helm.Christ almighty how long do we let it go on for?long past time for change and it starts at the top.People power is the only way.and who in the name of god cares if it disrupts things here and there,can't be anywhere near as bad as where we are heading anyway.we're a laughing stock as it is because of these idiots.time for a revolt,and at least lets show the rest of the country that genuine Offaly players and supporters still have the passion for it even if these cowboys at the top don't.
Can a protest be organised for the next CB meeting? If that chairman manages to worm his way out of this and ride out the storm now that the club championship is back and focus is off him and his cronies, it is an absolute farce. Is this North Korea with their grip on county affairs. HE is an absolute joke

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Looktothefuture wrote:Now that the CB and Tommy Byrne have rode out the storm what next. Byrne when secretary tried to get Banty in 3 years ago insted of Flanagan and when that failed he wanted Paul Curren parachuted in after the decision was made to give Flanagan the job. So whats the betting he has been working behind Flanagans back to instal Curren now he is head Of The ship. Watch this space.
After what Curran did to Finbar Cullen in Parnell Park he shouldn't be let near an Offaly team

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

NewEra wrote:Can a protest be organised for the next CB meeting? If that chairman manages to worm his way out of this and ride out the storm now that the club championship is back and focus is off him and his cronies, it is an absolute farce. Is this North Korea with their grip on county affairs. HE is an absolute joke
I mustn't be up to date on all the goings on. Can someone tell me what is it that the chairman is trying to "worm out of"?
My understanding is that a committee which included Vinny Claffey and Colm Quinn was formed to review the senior football managers position. Having consulted with the players they came to the conclusion that change was required. They recommended this at the county board meeting and it was democratically passed by the clubs via a vote. Pat Flanagan was spoken to before the meeting and told a vote was coming. This all seems transparent and above board to me so I don't understand this North Korea talk. Having been removed Pat Flanagan went to the media to highlight some issues he had whilst he was manager and also had a bit of a swipe at Vinny Claffey suggesting he wasn't qualified to assess his first year and it should have been Tommy Lyons. It could be suggested this was a dig at Claffey because Claffey was part of the committee that proposed his removal although there may be no link between them. Meanwhile Tommy Byrne has remained mostly silent on the matter. If any of what I've said is wrong please correct me as it's important the facts are out there and not just raw emotion.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just on the point of expenses for the top table, as it has been mentioned by a few contributors here. It was my understanding that the top table were filling those positions on a pro bono basis and were not drawing an honorarium or expenses. That was a few years ago, mind, and this may have changed. So has there been a change in this policy, or are ye making this up as ye go along? And if the policy has changed, when did it change?

It’s probably something the top table could clarify, in any event.
biffinbanner wrote:reading the article it gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. i thought things had changed some bit.obviously not.i remember players 10 years ago telling me about the problems getting expenses, gear etc and one remarking the people at the tops expenses were always paid on time.its reminded me of the roy keane plane story about the fai top brass in the business class seats and the players squashed in the economy
shamlads wrote:A couple months ago I made the case here for the cb to be ousted,I was ridiculed left right and centre.well i sincerely hope now after yet another dismal year for the county in both codes that people within the county both supporters and players have the balls to stand up and be counted,down tools completely if needs be to clear out these money grabbers at the head of the table.god almighty when you think of all these poor unfortunates (players I mean)going out killing themselves training and then getting a hiding on match day,all the youngsters playing these blitz's on miserable evenings,and for what?to keep these people in a job.Are ye all stone mad or what?nothing is ever going to improve with this lot at the helm.Christ almighty how long do we let it go on for?long past time for change and it starts at the top.People power is the only way.and who in the name of god cares if it disrupts things here and there,can't be anywhere near as bad as where we are heading anyway.we're a laughing stock as it is because of these idiots.time for a revolt,and at least lets show the rest of the country that genuine Offaly players and supporters still have the passion for it even if these cowboys at the top don't.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'll just bump this comment up to the top, for anyone who might have missed it and who has suggestions.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Serious ceist - anyone any ideas for an alternative top table - chairman, secretary, treasurer, assistant treasurer etc? I don't have anyone specific in mind though my own preference would be for personnel from the private and business sector. But who'd be to the forefront in this regard?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That, in a nutshell, is my understanding, B.
bracknaghboy wrote:I mustn't be up to date on all the goings on. Can someone tell me what is it that the chairman is trying to "worm out of"?
My understanding is that a committee which included Vinny Claffey and Colm Quinn was formed to review the senior football managers position. Having consulted with the players they came to the conclusion that change was required. They recommended this at the county board meeting and it was democratically passed by the clubs via a vote. Pat Flanagan was spoken to before the meeting and told a vote was coming. This all seems transparent and above board to me so I don't understand this North Korea talk. Having been removed Pat Flanagan went to the media to highlight some issues he had whilst he was manager and also had a bit of a swipe at Vinny Claffey suggesting he wasn't qualified to assess his first year and it should have been Tommy Lyons. It could be suggested this was a dig at Claffey because Claffey was part of the committee that proposed his removal although there may be no link between them. Meanwhile Tommy Byrne has remained mostly silent on the matter. If any of what I've said is wrong please correct me as it's important the facts are out there and not just raw emotion.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'll just bump this comment up to the top, for anyone who might have missed it and who has suggestions.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Serious ceist - anyone any ideas for an alternative top table - chairman, secretary, treasurer, assistant treasurer etc? I don't have anyone specific in mind though my own preference would be for personnel from the private and business sector. But who'd be to the forefront in this regard?
There won't be a queue to join the executive. A private sector man or woman, with a flair for leadership would be ideal, but I do not see anyone jumping at the chance. One point, although the executive are criticised, they are all volunteers with outside careers. The Co. Board role is extra to their career and family.

Club delegates vote at convention on the various roles, from the available candidates.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

bracknaghboy wrote:
NewEra wrote:Can a protest be organised for the next CB meeting? If that chairman manages to worm his way out of this and ride out the storm now that the club championship is back and focus is off him and his cronies, it is an absolute farce. Is this North Korea with their grip on county affairs. HE is an absolute joke
I mustn't be up to date on all the goings on. Can someone tell me what is it that the chairman is trying to "worm out of"?
So you think nothing was underhanded, sly and that everything is above board? T Byrne is doing a right old job is he? Why wasn't P Flanagan brought before the committee at the very least? This consititutes unfair dismissal in normal employment. P Flanagan judged with one hand tied behind his back with requests to the CB for gym equipment, GPS analysis equipment which is standard across the country all turned down/ignored, disputes over expenses in this day and age (catering had issues last year or year before), shit gear for our underage players (XL etc). No strategic or long term vision or plan by this CB and when there is one put forward by P Flanagan or the committee for hurling and football it is shelved away and nothing done. Flanagan actually put forward his own plan and refused point blank! McGuinness revolutionary in Donegal incorporated a similar plan which CB took on across every age group. There is no plan by Byrne and co. Where was the development money given to Offaly spent? There is no transparency and everything is done hush hush.

They will worm their way out of any controversy and stick the heads in the sand until things blow over. And it's not just this controversy. Do you have a short memory? The hurling report sat on for over 12 months? Ignoring local media? Angry when things are outed when they are not in the know or prepared? It sounds very like North Korea to me.

POTH I do not have names to hand but I agree private sector is the only answer. People involved on Faithful Fields seem to have done a great job. I some day hope to get involved but working away does not allow me to at present. I do believe that people are disengaged to get involved while the people there are and I strongly believe it requires the top table to strand aside as whole and volunteers would jump to help.

Towerus
Junior B

Post by Towerus »

It sounds very like North Korea to me.
The big difference is the North Koreans can't vote to remove Kim Jong Un. And unlike us, they probably would if they got the chance! At least once a year there's a blow up of some sort and there's the run of posts talking about overthrowing the CB as if they only way it can be done is to march en bloc to O'Connor Park and physically oust the offending officers. There's no need at all for such drama, there's a perfectly good system in place but it seems we'd rather ignore that come December and wait for the next blow up next summer, or whenever and start the war dances again. That's not to make light of the handling of these latest issues, but we can beat our chests all we like, until we actually go and get people willing to put in the time and effort, we're at nothing. And it's a considerable effort, and despite what some here seem to think, there is no pay, just the glory!

Looktothefuture
Junior B
Club: Tuber

Post by Looktothefuture »

From what I heard there was a meeting with 2 players not the entire panel what was sed at that meeting is no where to be found. Maybe Pender as captain could make a statement which could clarify alot. Also someone asked can the minutes Of The county meeting be seen to see how close or not the vote to dismiss Flanagan was. Evening getting fired from a part time job in dunnes stores you get a review and told to your face you are being let go. And to be fair Vinny Claffy failed massively as a manager in Clara and he has a say about the roll of our county manager it is abit rich don't you think. As was sed everything is hush hush just the way people who has something to hide like it..

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Looktothefuture wrote:I'm sick hearing about the negative tactics in the second half Of The first westmeath game... I was behind The offaly dug out Flanagan was purple shouting push forward.
Just seen this now. This more or less confirms Flanagan had to go. If as you put it he was "purple" (presumably in the face) urging his team to attack and take the game to Westmeath in the 2nd half yet to a man the forwards ignored him and retreated back into their own half as we all witnessed that day, its clear he had totally lost the dressing room. When that happens there's usually only one outcome.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

What more is going to come out over the coming months, disgrace the way hurling plan was ignored. Seems to me like there is one major problem with Offaly at the minute the county board and they should do the decent thing and step aside or if they want to stay and make us an even bigger laughing stock. Explain your actions and release a statement on the running of Offaly Gaa, the longer this goes on the county board thing it's just going to go away, not this time me thinks !!